New Power up/down guidelines

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by LordKerwyn, Dec 20, 2007.

New Power up/down guidelines

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
  2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I have to say the "weak" insults think sounds a little harsh A power down for a "this thread is stupid"?  That just leads to problems when the situation could better be solved by ignoring the person and only giving out power downs on subsequent insults. Misinformation is also sometimes happens due to people hearing rumors or readin outdated stuff and we don't need powerdowns for mistakes. Also giving powerups just for having good artwork leads to all the artists having overblown power levels and giving powerups forwinning a contest is also excessive since winning those things generally comes with a monetary award anyway.

Powerlevel should represent ones comitment to the site and positive attitude NOT their level of skill in artwork or contests and not the number of mistakes they have made EVER

BTW when did you become Global?  Congratulations

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I ummm... I don't know what you mean by what you've cited.

Nowhere does he say anything about a post that is "stupid" or for "weak insults".

EDIT: I see the "weak" attacks, and it's not a problem...

but I still don't see the "stupid thread."

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Anyone can get powered up multiple times for the same post it just tends to heppen more often with art pieces, its not we can say don't power up artwork though. As for the weak piece, there is a reason weak is in parenthesis, its pretty to catch any personal attacks that arnt really a breach of rule #3.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    He added a post to the forum rules and here was one of them.  I would hate to see someone powered down because they didn't like a topic and expressed that dislike negatively.  Everyone IS entitled to their opinion. Obviously if someone continued to be a jerk then appropriate action should be taken but we don't need someone get powered down 5 times for slipping up when most times it is something that can and should be ignored for sake of continuing the topic.  I have seen threads destroyed just because someone got pissed off by someones comment and the person who made the original comment then defends himself

It is just I would prefer it to say "continued weak personal attacks" so we don't have people powered down every time they screw up.

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Finally we have some rules for :powerup: and :powerdown: :good:

7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    These are nice guidelines LordKerwyn. We really need these guidelines if you ask me, especially since that Christmas "accident" that recently took place. (which I contributed to, and way to much probably ;))

But the post itself looks kinda messy, if you pm me the code of the post, (between those code tags) I could clear it up a little if you want. Without changing any of the text of course. But it's entirely up to you if you are willing to let me do that.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Forsaken (and anyone else who thought it looked like I had highlighter) I think the probelm was you were viewing it with firefox with apparently doesnt like the glow command that was in use. (This is also why the sc2's looks like it has highlighter in it as well which it doesnt.)

I have removed the glow command wherever I used it, and just changed the words to solid color. For the record now though I officially hate firefox.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I love Firefox...

integrated spell check FTW!

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I love Firefox! :good:

11. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Beats Internet Explorer with a flaming piece of toast.

I use spellcheck all the time.

:D *hint the avatar*

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Meh Firefox 2 still fails the Acid 2 test.

Opera FTW

Also:
    Your toast has been burnt and no ammount of scrapping will remove the black

13. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    What FF doesn't let me see glowing things, I hate FF now too, I love glowing things.

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    @Inside well firefox loses this round.

Anyways firefox is not the disscussion of this thread. I am sure alot of people would love to participate in the debate between I.E. and Firefox, So if you want to make a new topic on it be my guest but lets try and keep this thread for questions/comments about the new guidelines.

15. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    Yeah ok sorry.

I think the new guidelines are good, we finally have something to govern those who need the guidance, on power lvl changing.

16. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    OK these are the new guides and... what? Without penalties given for obviously spam level changes, it will make absolutely no difference. I could give a fine example with someone who posted that these guides are cool and everything yet gave a totally unearned powerup.

I stand by my suggestion I made months ago: the number of powerups one could give should be limited to 1 every 72 hours. That would slow down the 'inflation' of powerlevels and at the same time make people think over who he/she powers up.

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Alright then, back on topic. The new rules look really nice LordKerwyn!

Although I just might have a nice addition to them:
    Maybe you can add going off topic constantly as a good reason for a power down, because that is one of the main reasons good topics get closed. Probably even this topic if you had not interfered. ;)

EDIT: By the way, there already is a topic about the best browser on these forums. So for those of you who are all excited and want to start a new topic on this one, just go here. Because GM_k already started this discussion months ago.