New Info. about Queen and Roach.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Calcium, May 26, 2008.

New Info. about Queen and Roach.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Calcium, May 26, 2008.

1. Calcium

Calcium New Member

I read in PCGAMER magazine that the fully evolved queen is stronger than an ultralisk. Also a good tatic for the roach is to burrow them to regen hp (micro).

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'm pretty sure everyone already came up with the burrow-unburrow tactic for the roach. I know I have mentioned it several times several weeks ago.

Even if the queen is that strong, it's slow, plus it mostly has defensive abilities such as deep tunnel, so it won't be used offensively (unless an enemy base is close to a Zerg one). Also, being tough won't save her when the whole army is focusfiring on her :p

3. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    heh yeah your queen dies your hosed.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Just check the starcraft wiki for the stats. It's pretty accurate.

5. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

@Calcium
    Indeed, but the queen is just one unit and it cant be massed, also it only attacks a single target, so it really cannot be compared with the ultralisk lorewise... Some might get confused but the Hive matriarch is definitely more suited for base defenses since majority of its skills are intended to protect the base.. And also it takes a while to fully evolve the Queen if she dies in battle..

6. Yamato_Cannon

Yamato_Cannon New Member

Virginia, United States
    It might be stronger than an ultralisk, but there's no info about its carapase, so it might be more susceptible to small-arms fire, especially since units, like marines, could easily out-maneuver it.

lol I just thought of something. If I remember correctly, the queen has an ability to poison creep, so it might be possible to use overlords and queens offensively to damage large ammounts of units that have low hp.

7. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I doubt a fully upgraded queen is susceptible to small damaging units lie marines coz in the Gameplay video of savior vs. bisu/hwasin i saw the queen stand long enough to carnage those marines raiding her resource line.. its probably equal to a standard ultralisk carapace... But you are possibly right on marines outmaneuvering the queen especially once stim pack is researched but remember that the queen isnt suppose to fight head on against range units like that but rather use its advantage of building defense colonies and toxic creeps to her advantage or burrow if needed to retreat..

8. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I really hope the Queen is not as powerful as the ultra. Even though its a single unit the queen should be mainly defensive. IMO the queen should have high health and armour but use its defensive buildings as its main source of damage. In other words when you see a group units coming to attack your expansion deep burrow the queen and then build 5 shruikers or whatever their called. For this to work the build time would have to be pretty low but considering the low health IMO that would be balanced.

9. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Queen doesn't even deserve an attack since it would be a superunit if it does high damage. Since it already creates base defenses, Zerg relies on the Queen too heavily now in the early game.

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i think its damage is around the 20-30's as it slashes the marines in two swipes so im fine with that coz you can only have 1 queen with a sole purpose of defending the base..

11. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I can say the same thing about drones in sc1. You needed to keep producing them to get even minimal defence while still having enough to have decent macro and build all your other buildings, not allowing you to use larva for other units. With the new queen, you no longer have to keep killing drones to make a defence.

12. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    Thats why I like the queen so much, because so stops you from using your drones for defensive buildings.
    Also does the queen make the sunken and spore colonies now, or are those still made by drones.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why wouldn't the Queen make the Sunken and Spore? The Queen's sole purpose is to contruct the Zerg defenses. Leaving her with Deep Tunnel and Poison Creep would leave her useless.

14. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I was just wondering because there were built by drones in SC1. I know this isn't SC1 in 3D, but some remnants from the original game have passed on to SC2. Also I don't know if the queen still creates the other two defensive buildings, or now only builds the spore/sunken.

15. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the other two defensive buildings were taken out of the game to be replaced with the sunken and spore colonies, either way they are built from the queen right now.

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

ohhh.... just as i was loving the shrieker & tumor humor lolz, anyway im still bothered with the defensive structure of the zerg as i fear that they cant par with the other races structures.. why??

terran - turret missiles now fires 2 anti-air rockets
    phase cannon - still an all around bad-ass w/a possible phasing maneuver for use

17. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    im not exactly sure what you mean here, do you mean they have or have not the ability to move about?, beacuse that was taken away from them and was given to the sunken and spore colonies.

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

well its still susceptible for change as the name Phase cannon wouldnt have been given from the 1st place if theres no phasing or anything at all... if thats so then rather they shouldve just stick with the same photon cannon name which is kind of boring btw

19. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I always thought that damage wise the photon cannon was best in SC1. However for survivability, IMO the zerg have the longest lasting defensive buildings . I know these are using SC1 stats, but most if not all defensive buildings are from the SC1.
    Also i could want them to put back the shrieker & tumor, as well as the spore/sunken. IMO it would give the zerg more flexibly.

20. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It's not just what you thought, it is a fact :) They have normal(?) damage type which deals 100% damage to units of all sizes. All the other defensive buildings have some other, less efficient damage type.