New idea for nukes in StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Nuclear Launch, Nov 6, 2008.

New idea for nukes in StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Nuclear Launch, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nuclear Launch

Nuclear Launch New Member

It´s actually pretty simple: the nuclear silo would cost 300 minerals and 300 gas, and it would be able to produce nukes with no additional cost, working exactly the same as in SC 1 besides that.

It´s a simple idea just to make nukes appear more often in pro matches.

What do you think?

2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    It'd be horribly overpowered; you'd get a free 800 AoE damage every two or so minutes. It'd start a "strategy" of spamming ghosts and silos, and hoping you can nuke the bajesus out of the opponent before he decides to attack you. Such a gamble would probably be more common in newb matches instead of pro, not the other way around.

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Agreed. The only way to balance such a thing would be to VASTLY decrease the damage and radius of a nuke, and then it's not even fun anymore.

In Starcraft, nukes are supposed to be really hard to pull off and that is how the vast damage is justified. It would be silly to have Starcraft II become like Red Alert 2 - where there are countdown timers to huge game-turning abilities. A large no from me - keep the Starcraft nuke as is, please!

4. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    plus.. 300/300 are way to cheap. :p

5. cucci338

cucci338 Guest

Yeah, that would take away the satisfaction of pulling off a sweet nuke, but it would be fun to play around with.

6. _NumoF_

_NumoF_ New Member

Braga - PORTUGAL
    In any case, Nukes can be easily avoided by the time anyone gets one by getting good detectors. I remenber getting pissed in SC1 because it took so much for the Nuke to travel, that experienced players would actually find my ghost before it reached the targe. Even despite coordinating illusive distractions so the ghost could pago undisturbed. One idea, would be to increase the Nukes destructive on something like 50%, a bit more than the original starcraft, so that big buildings could get a considerable damage therefore making the Nuke a more decisive thing to take into account, and realistic. Normally in SC1 only bunkers, air turrets and supply depots, as long as photo cannons would be annihilated, as well as regular units. The Explosion we've seen on the protoss gameplay, could be improved actually too. Despite the good work, it fades too quickly! And doens't even have a nice shockwave propagating in that zone. Maybe a bit more smoke would'nt overcharge the graphics engine considering the graphics innovation.

7. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    well, right now there is no "Nuclear Launch Detected", Blizz changed it to "your under attack" which happens when your units or buildings are attack by any enemy unit.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I don't like ^ that ^ change. That's making it more of a gamble, whether or not the assaulted reacts to the message like it is a regular attack or a launched nuke. If they want to make it harder to react to, increasing the range of the Ghost or decreasing the time it has to paint the targeted area would be better.

9. Nuclear Launch

Nuclear Launch New Member

Anyway, I think everyone agrees nukes are underpowered in SC1. Any idea to make it more fun and balanced is welcome. The idea of damage and range increase isn´t bad either, but I still prefer my own. If 300 minerals and gas is too low, just increase it to 350 or something. But remember that in SC2 the ghost is 75 minerals and 25 gas more expensive, which means that you lose more money if the enemy spots and kills your ghost.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Nuke is a lot earlier in SC2, which I think makes it good enough compared to it's SC equivalent. Increasing the damage is unnecessary considering its already devastating power.

11. zerodown

zerodown New Member

puerto rico
    Just an idea, how about independent silos? Not built from the command center.

Like a 400/300 silo with a built in nuke, the nuke goes off and the silo falls apart. This way you can build a few of them if you want, its a little bit cheaper, you don't have to chose between silo or comsat.

12. cellulariceteas

cellulariceteas New Member

IMO i liked the fact that it took a long time to get nukes in SC:1. It made it so that it would be one of those last ditch efforts to win a game if you guys are stalled all the way up to Tier 3.

13. CowOnFire[E]

CowOnFire[E] New Member

New Jeresy
    that would be cool to have it so u can build ur own silo and not have to make 5 ccs, but at the same time if u had it like that ppl would rush nukes lol

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think that CC-independent silos might be a bad idea. Them being add-ons restricts them to a place where the opponent is more likely to scout since the CC most likely is next to a geyser and mineral field. Without the restriction one could build a silo (as well as the Ghost Academy) in a corner of the map to make it next to impossible for the other player to prepare for it, and since the Nuke is such an "extreme" ability I'd say that's a bad thing.

15. CowOnFire[E]

CowOnFire[E] New Member

New Jeresy
    hm that makes sense the nuke can rape ur eco in one hit or a whole army. So it has to come at a price like that. If you couldnt see invis units move on the map ud be screwed

16. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Ghost have to lit the target as long nuke is in transit. It's quite realistic that nuke needs time before it reach position over the target. However, it should also deal some constant damage after detonation, thus making area unavaible (lowering down plasma shields, energy - PSI abilities etc.)

On the other hand, sentence: "Nuclear launch detected" is @sskicking and every player would missing it ;) Imho innate longer sight range for ghost will be enough (= larger field for opponent to check).

17. CowOnFire[E]

CowOnFire[E] New Member

New Jeresy
    i just look on the ground u can tell very ez where he is. the ground is always slanted so i just rape it :D

18. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    EMP nukes: affects mechanical units and buildings

same blast radius
    but the effect will be that it disables control of mechanical units inside the blast area for ?? seconds
    as well as buildings

BIO nukes: affects organic units and buildings

a nuke that spreads a solution that mixes into the creep making it hazardous,
    all organic units within that infected creep will take damage over time
    as well as organic buildings
    poison effect is only applicable to a "creeped" area

we need moar nuke types

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  19. CowOnFire[E]

CowOnFire[E] New Member

New Jeresy
    for the bio nuke will the effect go away? or be there forever

20. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    it will go away, but for like 2 minutes or so, the only way to remove it as fast as possible is that you "re-creep" it using an overlord