New Defence Structure

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Aug 25, 2007.

New Defence Structure

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    I still think that the protoss should have more defense still i propose a building that utilizes the same effect as the warp ray yet more powerful and not mobile.

2. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Yap im agreed to you lol, but imagine if the Protoss should have more defence, well what is the chance of the Terran and Zerg? if that is the Case.

PEACE :thumbup:

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yah protoss simply needs a new one. the phase canon alone is boring and looks weak.

4. burkid

burkid New Member

static defences are fine, they are meant to assist in base defence, not do it for you.

5. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I think the phase canon is just enough for protoss. They have more powerful units to defend their base.

6. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

The phase cannon is probably enough now that you can move it around (which is totally sweet), but I personally would prefer the phase cannon's range to be a little longer than the photon cannon and shoot a little faster or alternately let it do a little more damage.

But personally, I think that the race who gets screwed the most is the zerg with sunken colonies. They never hold up well. The spore colony, when placed correctly can be devastating. It fires sooooo fast. And terran structures can be repaired. And now the phase cannon can move. So the sunken colony needs some help.

7. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

If the Protoss needed a new static defense, it shouldn't be an automatic one. Something like a 'Ray Sentinel', which is a static tower in your base that has its own energy bar with maybe 200 energy. The Ray Sentinel could attack only through a spell that would have to be manually targeted, and it uses 50 or so energy and has a fairly long cooldown timer. However, it would be effective not against the smaller units which the phase cannons would kill, but against the battlecruisers and carriers.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

I LIKE IT!

as long as anything NEW as a base defense aside from the phase canon.

9. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I think the protos are more of an offecive race. I would like them to have an anti rush ability for a defence then they would be set for a perfect game.

10. surr

surr New Member

i feel not because with warp it and phase cannons. they could probaly return in time that the cannons may suffer damage or be destroyed, but the base is essentially fine.

11. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

With this new boost in mobility the Protoss are now the most offensive group in the entire game. A good defense might make an imbalance in power. Btw, the reason why I say most offensive is because they do the most damage per unit, take the most damage per unit, AND are one of the faster races in the game now. They are balanced with high cost, low defense, and easily set back by resource attacks. Not to mention their high cost means that one building destroyed is a set back that the Protoss usually can't afford.(thankfully this is balanced again because Protoss can put up buildings and resource very quickly.

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    The idea is good, but there's the Colossus.. Almost the same role, and mobile:)

13. manaplague

manaplague New Member

The Protoss don't need a new defensive structure, the Protoss are a very mobile and hard hitting race, another defensive structure would promote turtling which is something there trying to discourage in SC2 as much as they can.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think having the cannon and shield batteries is sufficient though I would like something able to fire quickly at these pesky zergling hoards. I was thinking like some kind of AoE burs spell for the phase cannon that takes out all zerglings in an area or a n upgrade that adds a few smaller fast firing cannons. The photon cannons were always enough against a few larger units but a hoard of basic infantry always got through because you couldn't target them fast enough.

Of course parking a reaver by the door was always sufficient later on when you could actually get it. The colossus should be just as sufficient.

15. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    If the Protoss were to get any new defensive structure I would rather them get a structure that boost the shielding of nearby structures or increases the range of Pylons in the area. As if they got one for increased shielding it would make a Photon Cannon nearby harder to eliminate and thus nullify the need for a different type of defensive structure. If they were to get a building that allows for a larger Pylon Energy Matrix then it would allow for more Photon Cannons thus adding to the defense.
    I would imagine if they got a structure that increased shielding of buildings in the area if would work similar to a Pylon in the way the Matrix works for range ,but, instead of it being a structure that allows for buildings to be warped in it would be a structure that would allow for buildings warped in to be reinforced. Thats just my thoughts on this as the Protoss kinda need the Photon Cannon as it is one of their signature structures.

16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but the model looks lame. why cant the phase canons looks like a tall tower or altar or something with an energy sphere etc?.. phase canon design looks weak and boring. just look at the screenshots imagine having a phase canon that looks different like a vertical building or something together with the protoss buildings..looks more COOLER.

this is starcraft 2 and the model of photon canons in sc1 should have not been brought in sc2 imo.

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I agree that the model should have changed more so they would complement the structures around them. That would make the photon cannon more appealing to build and in mass numbers.

I don't think that the Protoss really need a new defence building since the cannon are now mobile and reset quickly. They also attack both air and ground units and can be very effective if there are buildings or units in front of then

I do think that they need more life than in SC1. They just die too easily and would rarely kill lots of units unless in numbers, but since the Protoss specializes in powerful units, having a powerful defence would make them nearly impossible to defeat unless with an extremely large army with air support

18. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

as others said,the protoss don't need another defense structure.the phase cannon is enough,since it can go pretty much everywhere on your base,so you don't really have to worry about not having phase cannons protecting an especific area.and on top of it,they attack pretty fast and hit air and ground,so yeah...

on another note,i agree with string_me_along.the sunken colonies are in big disadvantage now.both Terran and Protoss got nice static defenses,it would be unfair to let the Sunken colony as it was in the past...

19. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Agreed, the sunken colony needs more life or they need to attack faster

Since the protoss photon cannon can move maybe the sunken colony can also have a special ability like faster regeneration or multiple attack

20. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

multiple attacks would be really nice.it would be the perfect compensation for the Phase Cannon's faster firerate.