New building

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kuvasz, Jun 18, 2008.

New building

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kuvasz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Proposed name: Capacitor
    Cost: 200 minerals
    HP/SP: 500/500

This building would be available in the basic structures tab and would have no prerequisites. It would serve to deposit resources, but unlike the nexus it would not be able to produce probes and it would require psi field. If the psi field is broken, probes would 'ignore' the building and would return the cargo to the nearest capacitor or nexus. The build time would be Nexus - Pylon = Capacitor build time.

Protoss try to be cost efficient (as some of us have agreed on the colossus spread fire being a waste and not suitable for Protoss). This building would create new strategies for the Protoss in the form of fast expanding cost efficiently, especially to nearby natural expansions where probe transfers are easy and fast. It would also distinguish the way the races operate, which I think is high priority.

ps don't get caught up in the details such as the name or the stats, they're just examples to help imagine the concept :)

2. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I don't see the point of this building...

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You can't let the strongest race expand the fastest otherwise thats more deadly Zealots and early Stalkers to deal with, they're expensive for a reason.

But basically it works like a Nexus but it cannot produce Probes and it needs to be in the Pylon matrix.

Its a good idea but that seems more Terran than Protoss, imo.

4. kuvasz

Hungary
    You're right. I just thought the nexus is too expensive compared to what you get. Terran can get detection and nuke and Zerg get extra production buildings and queues, so I thought leave the nexus the useless building it is in SC and add a new building to allow for more diversity and strategy in SC2.

The early zealot rush could be countered by setting prerequisite(s) for this building though. I'm thinking forge. Doesn't that sound better?

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    For the Zerg, thats the only production building they get, meaning they rely on it so its cheaper.

The Terrans are adaptive so they can add armaments to their CC for extra cost.

Although, you're kinda right that the Protoss Nexus is just basic, but that is what the Protoss is, basic. In terms of 'basicness' I'd say Terran are the most complicated with their various unit modes and add-ons, second comes Zerg with their Queen and movable defenses, then comes the strong but basic Protoss, they do their job effectiently without any little extras.

How about make the Nexus work as a shield battery for ground and air, that way expanding is more safe and it benifits units all game, not to mention the fact it balances out Terran and Zerg being able to completly repair/heal all units which Protoss can't so atleast let them do something with the shields.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. kuvasz

Hungary
    Well you know it real well that I'd welcome the shield battery :D For a mere 200/200 resources, the nexus could be given 200 energy points and the ability to recharge shields... I like the sound of that. It would make base defenses possible without spamming cannons, which is not a nice sight.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It's cheaper than a nexus and builds faster = faster expansions

I like the idea.
    By their nature, Protoss need more materials and thus benefit from anything that can enhance a boom which this would by allowing you to afford an expansion earlier. since it requires a pylon to be built first and its build time is nexus-pylon then it takes just as long to build a pylon+capacitor base but you save some money. I think though that build time could be lowered some though.

Also having one of these would help in established bases that have long mineral lines and geysers that are somewhat distant and would give a slight decrease in gather time n those cases plus would add redundancy.

Remember though that there are risks. If someone ravages a base with a nexus you can pump out probes and rebuild but without one you have to ship them in from another base where you risk ambush and also lose time

8. kuvasz

Hungary
    Your last point is the intended drawback for this building. As for reducing the build time, it might be reasonable to do so because saving 100 minerals isn't such a big deal, especially for pro gamers, and if the build time remained nexus - pylon then the capacitor might be neglected the same way shield batteries are now.

9. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

maybe your intending something really good with that so heres where i stand...

I believe there should be something that the nexus can provide with the protoss why??

Command center = Planetary fortress + Liftoff + Carry 5 SCV
    Hatchery - Lair = Health regeneration + Multi upgrades
    Nexus = ???? nothing

So I propose the nexus being the center for shield charging in their structure remaking the shield battery conceot from SC1.. another posiibility is for the batteries to be availed from deployed phase prisms but thats too complicated to do so.. ^_^ anyway the capacitor thought was technically a bank right lol

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I'd rather just see Blizzard putting more functionality on the Nexus than duplicating its capacities in another structure.

But while we're doing that anyway, I propose: the ability to warp Probes from places with Psi to the Capacitor structure. It would make it quite a lot like the nexus, in that it warps Probes in from somewhere, but with this structure, you can only move probes you already have. Perhaps the ability can require energy. If it is given a shield battery ability (I'd like that just because it would make the name make more sense) it might draw its warping ability from said energy reserve.

The Capacitor would be a more front-line structure, more likely to be attacked, as it is being used in expansions. having multiple Capacitors would mean a player could warp out their Probes if needed (using other Capacitors), or warp them in from depleted bases.

11. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i would like the possiility to upgrade the nexus to either be stronger, or even have some sort of attack. Bu it is true that the protoss nexus seems to be godd for only 2 things... making workers and being a resource hub. MAKE IT COOLER!!!

12. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    *nevermind, thought i was on the first page for some reason.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  13. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

This structure reminds me a structure in Age of Empire. Normally all the meat you get go to the main structure. But to earn time and efficienty , and meat too to prevent it to rot you could build a secondary structure for meat, near where the beast was killed.

Yes, this idea of second structure is good. It should be added for one race, not another. Why the Protoss ? Why not the Terran of the Zerg ?
    Anyway, just ONE race should get this advantage.

Protoss : having a second structure to recolt ressources (Protoss must be advantaged because thir units and structures cost a lot)
    Zerg : having a capacity to heal their untis and structures more efficiently. Maybe that unit (I don't remember the name) could do that.
    Terran : ????? should ge something that the Zerg and Protoss don't have. Of course the fact that flying structures is great is not enough. Something more great should be added

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Like salvage? They can sell all structures and get 100% of the resources back. That, Lift Off and Submerge are more than enough to give Terran structures that extra edge.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I personally like Neon's idea of Probe warping, but I would rather have Probes warping from Nexus to Nexus only. I don't really see a need for an additional building just for warping Probes, when moving Probes around between Nexi is likely all you'll end up doing.

The warping process should also only be a single Probe at a time, one after another, instead of all at once. That way, successful surprise attacks on Protoss bases and expos can still yield reasonable results, but players who see a base raid coming can start warping out Probes before they're hit.

16. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    I like where you are going with this, but why fix something if ain't broke? What we need is something more unique, but still sticking to basic resource harvesting philosophy. How about this: The Protoss Nexus has an innate ability to "supercharge" a single Mineral field at any given time, with a small cooldown between switches. By supercharging a Mineral field, Probes that gather Mineral there may +3 their carrying capacity (or whatever the balance number needs to be), bringing us from 5 minerals per run to original 8.

Since Blizzard states that pathing in SC2 is so great, workers are harvesting in a furocious rate. If the Nexus may grant an increase for that rate for a single patch of Minerals, the Protoss have the right to be feared by all. With this mechanic, it also aids in the production of Vespene-heavy units such as the Carrier, because you can trade in 100 Minerals for 600 Vespene in your Assimilator...

-Psi

17. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Protos are already greet expanders they can send one probe and have half a base built before the nexus is finished why give them the ability to expand even more?

18. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

I don't like this idea, the Protoss need some kind of resource leash, having the strongest units. That leash currently is the Nexus.

I do think the Nexus should do somthing else though.. Perhaps take the roll of a Shield Battery, since you Protoss players lost it (Although most Protoss players are newb and never utilized them.)

19. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    The only way this building would have any use would be if it was cheaper alternative than the Nexus for expansion bases. Although, if they did make it like that it make it unbalanced since the Protoss would have faster and less costly resource gathering capabilities and since the price and time to make balances out the strong strength of the Protoss units it would cancel that out and make them overpowered.

20. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    I already fell that way with protoss

J.B