Need a new screen

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Meee, Jun 1, 2009.

Need a new screen

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Meee, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Could anyone recommend me a nice screen for gaming?

Of course I'm aiming at something inexpensive, but I'd rather pay a bit more if the alternative is a piece of crap.
    I think size about 22"-24" should be plenty, will be enough of a change from 15" >.>

I don't know what specs to look at since I haven't changed screen in ever, so I'm counting on you guys ;)

2. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    Just look for one with 2ms and at least a res of 1650 x 1080. Goin to a shop and comparing the colour depth between them is usually a good idea.

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
  4. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Go for 24", 2ms (if you're hardcore gamer) otherwise 5ms is fine, try to look for good brightness levels (3000:1 dynamic is good enough, higher = better). A 24" should have 1920 x 1200 as highest res. Also, DVI is a must if your graphcard has a DVI (Most do, google "DVI"). I wouldn't go for a monitor with 21.xxx ". Why, I don't really know :p. Having decimals just doesn't sound right.

Otherwise a 22" is pretty nice. I like my Samsung 2232BW really much.
    Although, if you buy a 22" you will still probably want to upgrade to a 24" later. Nothing higher that 24" is needed though.

Also, if you're really fastidious, you should look for a monitor that doesn't bleed (this means while your monitor is black, you can see background light, just take a look here:
    http://haste.4saken.org/pics/bleed.jpg).

Also, keep in mind that there is a chance that your monitor will come with a dead pixel(s), a corrupted pixel constantly showing green, red or blue (annoying as all hell). So the point is: buy from a place that accepts refunds within a week or month.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    If he gets 1 or 2 dead pixels they don't refund IIRC. 3 and above they change the product.

6. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    What is DVI for?
    A quick wiki revealed too much technical babble to bother :D But I've seen this kind of cable on some new screens at work, so I'll work it out.

I don't know what's the visual difference between 2ms and 5ms, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with 5.

Are 24" screens that much better? I've heard from some people that more than 24 is too much, so I wasn't planning on anything higher, but should I go for it instead of just 22?

Does the bleeding show only when the screen is black, or is it a problem with darker scenes in movies or games etc?

I know what dead pixels are. I'll be getting it in a place where my dad buys equipment for work, so I believe it'll work out if there's a problem. And if not, well, we'll see how festisious I am ;)

Thanks for input guys!

7. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
  8. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

"What is DVI for?"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

"I'll be fine with 5."
    24/22" monitors that have 2ms cost almost the same as 5. So if you CAN, go lower in ms.

And yes, bleeding can accure in films and games, and bleeding is seen best when your screen shows black. My flat is bleeding a bit, but I don't really pay much attention to it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I've got a stock Dell 19''. Never bled.

Basically what's been said. 1680x1050 is sufficient, you WANT DVI, 5ms isn't bad, 2ms is great. 3000:1 contrast ratio is also good, it makes your blacks black instead of dark grey.

A lot of monitors have webcams built into them these days, I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus for you, but they raise the price 30-50 USD (Dunno about over in...Poland[?]), so that's something to take into account