My suggestion to Raven

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Karlampson, Mar 17, 2010.

My suggestion to Raven

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Karlampson, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Karlampson

Karlampson Guest

The auto-Turret is useless. Raven is supposed to replace the role of Science vessel. But it cannot function as decisive unit as it was in 1with its abilities.

My suggest: to change auto-Turret to be a net wall, which Raven throws two bases on the ground to become a burning wall. it prevents enemy near and withdraw easily. Basically, you can draw any line as you want by sending two or multiple points on the ground depending on circumstances. It also give players the micro and tactical ability. Blizzard can discuss its duration and energy.

What do you think?

2. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    From my experience the raven is quite a valuable unit and auto turret is an excellent asset in base raiding. Its also great for protecting expansions.

Your wall idea could replace the ravens missile ability since atm its not that incredible but i would prefer something more designed for anti air as on the ground atm terran is fine (The auto turret can also be very useful against light air attacks).

Compared to SC1 i find i use the raven alot more than i used science vessels.

Edit: Ah yes i forgot the drones, i've only used them against terran when i've tried to land forces against missile turrets since terran doesn't have air units except cruisers that can take them on safely. I'll test them against other units

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I've heard it's missile drone is useful too, though rarely used. Apparently it absorbs 20 enemy ranged attacks, which would definitely be useful if your enemy is going mostly ranged army. Just image how it would help turn the tide of battle by absorbing a few stalker/roach volleys during a fight.

I wonder if that drone works on colossus's thermal lances.

4. FFenix

FFenix New Member

Points Defense Drone is amazing, and unfortunately does not stop "lasers" being collosus, carriers, void rays, and mothership after a bit of testing.

However, when used properly in battle, it can temporary be MUCH better than a defense matrix could ever be as it absorbs about 1-2 volleys of fire from a group of units. Giving your units 1-2 extra volleys. Ravens are in no way weak.. Worth Every penny

5. asdf

asdf New Member

when did they add the point defense drone? that sounds pretty awesome, i'd like to see it in action.

6. statikg

statikg New Member

Raven needs a little balancing. Here is my experience. Never use the turret basically unless desperate and dont have energy for anything else, its basically just like a super marine, guess you could use it for risky scv attacks that would be semi effective at best.

Basically always use point defence drone and never upgrade seeker missile. Heres why.

Absorbing 20 ranged shots is probably not quite as good as the 8 hydras you could POSSIBLY kill with a seeker missile (which I think is about the most efficient use you could put the missile to)

BUT
    1) You can cast the drone from much further away from the enemy because it can be cast near your units whereas the cast range on the missile is too short, puts you in mortal danger most of the time dead raven.

2) You need to build a fusion core just to be able to pay even more to upgrade the seeker missile and the point defence drone is free - this equals ALOT of extra time and some extra money.

3) Finally because seeker missile costs 125energy at full energy you cant cast a point defense drone along with it whereas you could cast 2 point defense drones which would certainly be a superior use of your energy

Suggestions:

1) Longer cast range on seeker missile. This would not be too large a buff because it would also give the enemy time to react to it as it is rather slow.

2) Seeker missile reduced to 100 energy or alternatively point defense drone reduced to 75 energy, or some combination which reduces the total energy combined to 200.

3) Seeker missile upgrade accessible without fusion core.

I think you would see alot more use of the raven with these improvements.

7. Mako

Mako New Member

You don't need the fusion core to upgrade to seeker missile. All fusion core does it allow you to build battle cruisers and upgrade their energy and get yamoto cannon. You have to get the tech lab.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    I believe that you need fusion core in order to start upgrading it at the tech lab. That was how the Banshee cloak upgrade worked before a patch change.

9. Mako

Mako New Member

Nope, all you need is the tech lab. I can provide a screen shot for those who continue to disbelieve me if you wish.

10. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Not according to SC2Armory, or Starcraft Wiki, or even SC2Pod and their Wiki.

The Hunter-Seeker Missile upgrade may be at the Tech Lab, but it still requires the Fusion Core.

11. Mako

Mako New Member

Actually I wasn't even reading what you were saying lol. I thought your were trying to say you have to get the upgrade at the fusion core.

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    for those wanting to see the Point Def Drone in action, watch the vid at 10:30

[youtube]Z7vSFpm_K6k[/youtube]

You can see just how well the BCs faired against the stalkers because of all the damage the drone absorbed

13. statikg

statikg New Member

anyone else have any reasonable ideas for the ravan? or specifically how to improve the seeker missile situation?

Currently one of few terran spells that is not very useful, along with the thor in general.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  14. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    Balls of enemies, regardless of what they are.

If you have two Ravens, with enough energy for a Seeker Missile from each, you can take out a significant chunk of any army that clumps.

15. Mako

Mako New Member

Seeker missiles are good for expansion raids.

16. statikg

statikg New Member

I'm not sure that you guys really read what I said. A couple turrets are alot better for expansion raids.

17. Mako

Mako New Member

Assuming theres no planetary fortress, spine crawlers, or cannons which there usually im sure turret works just as well en-mass.

18. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    The point is, Point Defense Drone is enough to make them useful to ANY army. I was watching Day9 commentate a game. It was TvT and one guy was forced to go mass Thors because the other guy was threatening to use Banshees. The guy that initially went Banshees decided to switch to Marauders, which would normally wreck Thors. In the end, the guy with Thors won because he used Point Defense Drones. Nearly every battle, two Thors would almost get insta-gibbed, but Point Defense Drones were thrown out and the Thors massacred his army.

They are useful, and balanced. I think people just need to quit accusing units of being bad because they don't like using them.

19. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I agree the raven needs to change, especially if people are actually going to use the seeker missiles.

20. statikg

statikg New Member

You guys are ridiculous, if you really want to have an intelligent conversation go back and read my post and maybe you will be able to appreciate some of the issues I have brought up which are in regards to the seeker missile, I have not once said that the point defense drone was not useful. And mako, killing 5 scvs is hardly an optimal use of a missile which you had to save energy for for quite a while.