My opinion on Protoss units

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ichirin, Dec 8, 2007.

My opinion on Protoss units

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ichirin, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Ichirin

Ichirin New Member

Protoss units in general

Too much 'bling bling' and shiny stuff.

Colossus

[img width=250 height=185]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/2/2d/Colossusxml.jpg[/img]

Nice idea and very useful but looks too much insectoid and not very Protossish.

Phoenix

[img width=250 height=185]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/a/ac/Phoenix.jpg[/img]

New Protoss basic fighter, supposedly a replacement for the Scout and Corsair, I think it would look better if its wings were golden.
    [img width=670 height=502]http://www.starcraft.org/dl/29757[/img]

Dark Templar

[img width=320 height=311]http://bp0.blogger.com/_U3Jk6KFkPDI/RtEltvEr1SI/AAAAAAAAAHE/U4wthmR_w8w/s320/dark-templar-concept.jpg[/img]
    The double scythe feels unnessecary.

Carrier

[img width=333 height=247]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/7/79/Carrieraction.jpg[/img]

Looks in no way like a Carrier.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i have to disagree with your first point, the protoss are very much about blingbling, just read the novles

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Agreed. Why would a highly civilized race of beings with intricate knowledge of the universe and have pisonic energies be dull.

But I slightly agree with you on the Phonex and DT (which you uses the wrong image for) becuase:

1. Pheonix seems very weak and slow
    2. Its design looks more of a complete robot not a manned craft. And It should fly the other way with the wings pointing backwards looks much better like that I think.
    3. The DT's blue glowy look is extremely ugly in my eyes.
    4. The scyth I don't mind but the blades are too thick.
    5. I liked the Tempest design/concept better and it looked very sexy. These Carriers dont look like huge capital ships more like a stretched Collosus head.

BUT DO NOT REGARD THE COLLOSUS IN ANY NEGATIVE WAY AS IT IS TOTAL WIN ALL THE WAY ROUND. (except for the fact the way it moves makes it look pretty weightless)

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yeah dont diss the collosus...think about it, how it will look in real life...pretty scary eh?

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lets make one.

6. Ych

Ych New Member

Protoss's theme is supposed to be technological advanced. That means, they should look shiny or as you stated, have the, "bling bling" look.

As for the Carriers, I totally disagree. Define your definition of the Carriers look. If you answer, the Carriers are suppose to look like the ones in SC1, then I'm sorry you are wrong. Carriers can look like whatever Blizzard is happy with because it is Blizzards game. They don't have to look like SC1's Carrier to be called a Carrier.

I agree with your DT's double scythe thingy. I prefer the DT to have the Warp-Blades.

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I have to agree with Ych9.

The original carrier doesn't look as powerful as the new one. The added design features to the carrier make it look cooler and more powerful than ever.

The phoenix looks better with the colored wings than in gold. Gold gets boring to look at when there is too much of it. I also think it looks better with the wings shaped how they are now. Remember, hey are used for fighting in space, the shape of the wings only add stability, not make it more/less space resistant.

For the DT, I like the new double blade, but I don't like how they look as a character.

The colossus looks much better with the sections attached to the top and sides than if it didn't. The only thing I don't like about them is thier voice. I was hoping you would be able to understand what they were saying, not mechanical beeps.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The new voices overall are kinda disappointing, but they will change it cuz most people dislike the voices.

The new Protoss voices sound too human and as I've seen on various comments around the internets they say the Protoss sound too white.

Any views on this?

Edit: but come to think of it Protoss don't physically speak to they since they ain't got any mouths, I think they speak telepathically right? (like speakers) so I'm guessing a Protoss speaking to a Terren would result in their 'voice' to be interpreted as a Human voice.

9. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I didn't have any dislike for the other voices, but I do see what others are saying, they don't have that alien feel that the original had. It would be nice if they modified the voices using computers to change them to a more alien-like sound.

For the colossus, isn't there a toss inside controlling them? If there is, why do they have a robotic voice?

10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Once again another one of the buffoons of the world voicing an opinion blizzard wont even bother to read all the way. (WARNING) what i'm about to say is not for the weak hearted!

BLIZZARD DOSENT CARE IF U DONT LIKE HOW IT LOOKS. your one person. and trying to get the world to agree with you that the carrier, colossus, Dark Templar, or even the Phoenix looks ugly and stupid wont effect them putting out this game in any way. If u dont like those units dont buy the game. Better yet buy the game so i can crush you with those same units. Maybe you wont like how the counters look so you wont make those either...

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The towering colossus is a protoss robot design dating back to the bloody conflicts of the Kalath Intercession. It strides across the battlefield on four tall, slender legs which give it an extremely high level of mobility. The great height of the machine allows it to step up and down cliffs and other steep elevations with little difficulty, and gives it a dominating field of fire.

The colossus is unusual for the fact that it was created purely as a war machine. Most protoss robots are created for industrial or resource-gathering purposes. Even the much-feared reaver is at its core a mobile manufacturing unit re-tasked to the creation of scarab drones for long-range bombardment. The mass slaughter unleashed on the kalathi by roving colossi appalled the protoss.

At the time, the Conclave outlawed the manufacture of colossi, and existing machines were deactivated before being sealed away in distant asteroids and uninhabited moons. Centuries later the war against the zerg has brought forth these engines of destruction to do battle once more.

And aol guy you are stupid, because Blizzard do look at our input and when the same thing is said over and over they take it into account so our opinion does count as it adds to everyone else's in turn helping Blizzard to know how we feel about something, so positive/negative opinions would definetly make Blizzard think about changes or make them more confident about something.

12. Ych

Ych New Member

I'm afraid you are wrong aol.

Blizzard DO listen to their fans. 1 example was that they remodeled the Siege Tanks. I'm sure as time goes on, we will see more changes that are from fan feedbacks.

13. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

yes but how long has the carrier, colossus, Dark Templar, and Phoenix been out to the public??? THEY HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED YET if there so ugly as this guy is complaining. There not ganna change any of the units he has spoken about, well maybe the DT but thats it.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Since many people don't like the new protoss voices, I bet they will change few of them before the game is released. I don't see how the designs are bad, I personally think they are much better than ones in the original sc.

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Eonmaster is right. the only thing thats gann change is the voice overs but then again no one is ganna like any voice over because we all played sc for 10 years. The voices are so badly imprinted into are heads its ganna be hard to hear anything eles and expect the same old units from sc1. the only change that will pass over easy is the new units any there voices.

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How can you sit there and tell us only the voices will change, like you work for Blizzard. We could list many things that have changed from the first ever peak at Sc2.

But you may be right on the voice things and people won't get used to them for now, but maybe when the game is released they wont care due to the sexy changes from Sc to Sc2.

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I'm saying that for the unit designs, I don't think they will change too much, if at all, since many people seem to like them. Possibly change the moving/attack animation (zealot) and voices, but I don't think they will change how the units look. The only one I don't like is the DT design, but I still prefer they work on new units or balance issues instead of spending thier time changing how a unit looks.

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    True, balance comes first. But on a larger scale Protoss seems pretty complete, I'm happy enough with them. But I still think the Phoenix would look better with the same design but have it flying backwards (which would now be forwards) :D

19. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i'm not saying units wont change, i'm saying the units that are being complained about here wont change. The colossus, carrier, and phoenix is just fine as is except for the voices. Who ever started this topic is looking at the protoss in such a horrable light.

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    @zerg: In my opinion, I just think that the phoenix looks better with the way the wings are now. Changing them to your idea would make them look too much like a regular air plane, thus losing thier uniqueness and alien look.