My new favorite SC2 Terran Unit

Discussion in 'Terran' started by bragesjo, Apr 6, 2009.

My new favorite SC2 Terran Unit

Discussion in 'Terran' started by bragesjo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    In SC1 I like Terrans since they has Vultures and mines.

In SC my favorite unit will problely be the Nighthawk.
    I read at battle.net forums that autoturrets only needs energy to produce that can attack both ground and air. Karune also mentioned that Nighhawks gets hunterseeker missiles that did splash damage that also costs energy. This will allow many raiding tatics unless opponents has good anti air. So finnaly Terrans in SC2 will get a dectector that is usefull.

2. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    I think the nighthawk Hunter seeker missile is way too imbalanced.... low energy cost and too much damage

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It could turn out imba since it's AoE. (will eventually get balanced though)

One of your unmonitored worker lines could suddenly disappear since not being there means you won't have time to react and move the workers away. The HMs will easily blast away several workers each, and the low cost means a Nighthawk can use two or three at a time.

4. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Yes, but blizzard probably has made a long cool down, and if not. They will change it in beta, or sooner. If they don't, it will probably be an update after they see so many people murder other people with just the night hawk.

5. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    Nighthaws has lost Targeting drones to get the Hunter Seekers missels. This will make it more difficult to fight Ultralisks or perhaps hunter seekers are to be used aginast them? Also, the hunter seeker has to be reaseched first. I am counting on that Blizzard will balance the game, including all units. I am only hopeing that the Nighhakws abiletys can stay mana based, otherwise uo have a flying SCV that is less usefull and has to be built for detection.

6. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Ghost now has EMP ability, snipe and nuke and can perform while cloaked.... now how imba is that? What would you say if the HT was cloaked and could storm your units?
    100 hp? WTF?

7. DotGet

DotGet New Member

Well for one, the nuke takes time; it's not an instant cast like psi storm. As per the Protoss, the observer should be out before or at the same time the ghost can be trained. Zerg always has overlords. Nuke + cloak wasn't that great in SC:BW and it can't be all that fantastic in SCII either. It's a strong attack, but balanced because it has several severe weak points.

EMP is going to be in the game regardless of what unit has it. It doesn't make the Terran army stronger - it just makes the Ghost more valuable. If anything, it makes the Terran army more vulnerable because the success of a battle might hinge on keeping your ghosts alive. And EMP now has a much shorter range so getting the ghost close enough to casters (who will be guarded by cloak-detecting units) will be a difficult feat.

Snipe is really overdue for Ghosts. It would have actually made them useful in BW. I don't think it will be imbalanced at all, because if you think about it they only have two worthwhile damage-dealing attacks: nuke and snipe, given their normal attack is pretty useless. Nuke is incredibly strong in success, but very weak in process. Snipe is strong in immediately, silently taking out organic units, but remember that it costs energy. You won't be able to send a couple ghosts over to an enemy mineral line and wipe out their workers. You could try and compensate for this by just making more ghosts, but remember that the more ghosts you make, the more anemic your main army will be.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Dude, everything's been nerfed.

EMP takes away a maximum of 100 shields, while the old one reduced shields to 0.
    The snipe does a measly 75 damage. Hardly overpowered.
    The nuke does less damage.
    A single Ghost costs a whopping 200 gas.

Here's the latest addition of info from Karune:

Early, weaker nukes ftw. Sounds like they will be used more, without causing imbalanced mass destruction.

9. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I agree with you.

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

If a high templar is near its base, it could be cloaked by a dark pylon :)

I don't get why people bash the new nuke. It's faster and cheaper, and can still kill most buildings in 2 blasts.

11. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Ya in SC1 I believe everything all buildings died in 1 shot. Except the Hatchery, Nexas, Command Center, etc. Which would take 3 shots, I believe.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

For me, it's the Thor. It whould be built outside the factory. It is a huge unit, like a structure and it can't be built inside the factory.

After the Thor I like the reaper.

I have no favorite other race unit. maybe the mothership

13. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I agree that the Thor should be built outside the factory. It's building size. You can't build a unit that's the same size as the building, inside the building. That's impossible. That's like building the battlecrusier inside a supply depot. It's not right, and it's impossible. But it is probably better. It probably was for balancing reasons, or some other reason.

14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Yes, indeed, it was for balance reasons. Imagine you have 10,000 minerals and gas, and that you can build 10 Thors together thanks to 10 SCVs. You will crush the enemy. There is no more balance.So Blizzard decided to build the Thor inside the factory so that they will be built in serie, not together. It will be like for battlecruiser.
    Well .... at a time I found the battlecruiser so huge that this unit couldn't be built inside the spaceport. Blizzard will follow this logic for the Thor too. They will sacrify the fact that the Thor had to be built outside in the battlefield because of its size to privilege the balance between the other races.
    They're both right and wrong ...

Too bad

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    What are you guys really complaining about? Why is it that the Thor is the only unit in the game that has to have a realistic size?

The Battlecruiser shouldn't be able to be constructed in the Starport, they're the same size. The assembly hangar in the Starport is even smaller. No one complains about that.

Neither Marauder nor Marines could ever enter a Bunker. The doors are too small and the space inside would give them no elbow room to fire. No one complains about that.

And look at a Siege Tank next to a Marine! I am pretty sure a tank is supposed to be roughly twice the size than that. But no one complains, so...

Then there's the Ultralisk, which is like 8 times the size of the egg it comes out of. Puts the whole Thor : Factory size ratio in perspective doesn't it? :p

What are you talking about? Any Terran player could have 5 - 10 Factories pumping out Thor's if they had that kind of money. It's not imbalanced because of that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  16. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    so the damage to snipe a flat 75 to all types of units or an increase do organic? or has it change completely?

i still don't like the mule animation w/ it being delivered by drop pod.

imo its a waste

i still miss the regular drop pod

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  17. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

In StarCraft I, the nuke did 500 damage or 2/3rd damage, whichever was higher. As a result, you could kill any building with 2 nukes. However, many buildings, such as the command center, took 2 nukes rather than 1.

18. Agiel7

Agiel7 New Member

Mine is likely the Banshee.

I've always dreamed of having a relatively inexpensive, low build time, highly agile aerial unit that had a great ground attack capability and could also cloak. The Banshee caters to my (mind you, only) complaints about the Wraiths,

Now if only Blizzard could give the Banshee its AOE attack back.

19. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

WHAT! They changed the banshee attack too. NO! There was nothing wrong with it. But my favorite unit has to be the viking. Even tho it's not greatest unit vs. light amoured air units.

20. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

@ Gasmaskguy : When Blizzard made the official video of the presentation of the Terran base, units and buidling we saw a SCV building a Thor. The commentator said "the Thor is a unit so large that it has to be built outside, in the battlefield".
    I reproach to Blizzard to have modified this great idea for a question of balance. The Thor was initially designed and created to be built outside the factory. And this huge unit has no relationship with the factory. See this video again and at a moment you will see in the options of the SCVs, when the player clicks on the 'build' option there are icons of CC, Barrack, Turret, etc .... and even a Thor. The evidence is here. Just look at the great, awesome, cool, amazing animation of the Thor once it is finished to be built. You remember this ? It was like in the movie Transformers, when Optimus Prime morphed from the truck to his normal form, for the first time.

I can't reproach to Blizzard to have thought to fix the problem of the balance and to have decided to create the Thor from the factory. Do you know the problem? You have infinite resources, you have 10 SCVs, you build 10 Thors at the same time. So you have an army of 10 Thors ready to kick the enemy.
    Where is the balance ? Nowhere. So Blizzard decided that we will have just to build the Thors from the factory so that we will never build 10 Thors parallely but in serie. Of course, if you build 10 factories, and that you build 1 Thor per factory, all right you will get 10 Thors at the same time. ...
    The Thor was initially a huge unit that had to be built by a SCV, like a buidling, but by a decision of the wizardeaous Blizzard .... DING ! .... they will be built inside factories. How have they done this magic ? :)

PS : If I exagerated in detailing my explanation it is to be sure that I wrote everything and that I didn't forget something to write. No offense for you, trust me ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009