my connection is pissing me off. >:(

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by motto, Sep 6, 2008.

my connection is pissing me off. >:(

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by motto, Sep 6, 2008.

1. motto

motto New Member

I use DSL for my internet. I use a wireless router. I think my router is a motorolla wrg850.
    so anyways when i play sc my name comes up on the "drop list" quiet frequently in one game. this dosent happen every game or something but when it does, it just never seems to stop.

I dont know why but randomly my wireless connection gets cutoff. The only way for me to fix is to physically go down stairs(-__-...) unplug the power for my wirless router and plug it back in, then i get my connection back. This happens like twice or 3 times a day and its very annoying.

What could be causing this problem?

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Several things, but here are a few possible reasons:
    • The router overheats and simply freezes. Make sure that the router is exposed to ventillation as much as possible - this often means turning the router on its side.
    • The DHCP server of the router is giving in and it can't always give you an IP. Your best bet for this would be to return the router if it's still under warranty, if updating to the latest firmware doesn't help.
    • Someone is using the router and basically overloads it. The solution to this is to set a download and an upload limit on all the computers in the network. Also make sure you set a secure password for the wireless connection to avoid having half the block use your connection.

To help narrow down the problem, see if you can enter the router both when you can access the internet and when you can't.

3. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    or this: [in my expierence]

* BECAUSE YUOR CONNECTION IS DOWNSTAIRS[WHICH HAS WEAK SIGNALS]
    AND THAT PROBABLY CAUSES THAT...
    which also means that your computer must not be blocked by close by doors, walls ,etc...
    maybe at least... lol.

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    maybe other wireless disturbance? bluetooth and other wireless stuff in your home and such?

5. Rex

Rex New Member

I experiance the same (Still not sure what causes it. I'm tihnking its my Security + computer + Wireless). I'm thinking that it could possibly be how well your internet, Router, and PC is get along. Like my computer screws my internet, and my router is already crappy and it affects it a lot.

Oh ya side note. Firewalls, security, ports, etc.. Check those.

I don't think it affects it that much. Unless you got a really crappy wireless router.

This also creates a question.

Will your connetion improve if you have a router that has stronger signal (Like instead the normal signal's distance is 300m and the other kind of router that is more advance has a signal that would reach to 500m. Would that go through wall, doors, etc. better?)