MShip Suggestions - BlackHole

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by excubitor, Sep 9, 2007.

MShip Suggestions - BlackHole

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by excubitor, Sep 9, 2007.

1. excubitor

excubitor Guest

Hi folks, new to the forum, greetings to all.
    As a long time toss lover, I was pretty excited about the Mothership, esp. it being a unique unit - I know a lot of people object to that on the grounds that it runs against the idea of SC being all about the collision of huge armies, but it fits with the toss race philosophy well.
    That said, the new, nerfed version is a bit depressing, in that the cloaking field seems somewhat (though not entirely useless). Especially, however, in that the Mship can't attack ATA, and without blackhole, can't defend itself against air at ALL.
    So my suggestion is to bring blackhole back- but not in its OP version. Instead, make it kind of like "broodling for air" - you can create a blackhole that destroys a single enemy ship but doesn't have an AOE. It would cost energy- how much is a balance issue better left up to blizz. That way, the MS becomes the perfect support unit, esp. when supplemented by a couple of air units.
    Whatcha think?

2. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I would prefer it to be a Air AoE with limited damage potentional. For example 1000HP any unit that dies gets the "suck in" animation, the damage is evenly distributed over all air units in range.

3. excubitor

excubitor Guest

That would work too- don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the original MS. But I figured the single unit kill version of Black Hole would be a lot more acceptable to everyone who felt it was too OP a spell.

4. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Neah. The mothership is fine as it is. Plus the ideea of haveing one uniq unit doesn't exactly goes well with the SC gameplay. The only thing wrong with the mothership is her inabillity to attack air units. I find it verry stupid that a vessel that flyes in unknown space for the protoss empire goes without air defence - i understand that is a mather of balancing but there are times when in the name of balancing things companies make verry stupid choices. I think a an attack with a moderate damage would'n OP the damn ship. As i said from the story they posted on the oficial site i find it incredbly stupid not to have an AA attack.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hi newbie. Please use the search function

That is all

6. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

it needs a better looking planet cracker thats for dam sure and maybe have the black hole again but give the ships in it a chance to fly out like if they are caught along the edge of it

7. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    I was happy having 1 superpowerful unit compaired to 3 not so strong units. And the Mothership is now official YES! And they said absolutly nothing is finnal. NOTHING! They said if the marine or zelot or zergling don't work out well for the game guess what? SCRAPED! They arent going to bend to far backwards and break their back for some traditional units. SO this meens we can have litterally anything changed on us. I just really want the ATA capabilities back for the Mothership I really do not care about the black hole thing. Also did you guys ever notice something new about the Mothership? They changed the art a little there used to be a little city in the glass case, now there is just another big crystal like the one the phase prism's. Yea I know that sucks to. Also the new planet cracker sucks to the old one was super pwnage. The old Mothership should be considered dead as of right now. Lets take a moment of silence in the name of her memory........

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well at least they changed the model to fit the story. When it looked like it had a city inside that was because at the time thay were saying it was a city

9. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Well I know that but they could still have the city, the crystal could be on top of it sorta like the eye of Sauron but a huge blue crystal on the tallest tower.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No its full top to bottom of spinning crystal

11. b0urne

b0urne New Member

welcome to the forum

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yes, I agree. It needs this weakpoint against air units. and I don't know.. Will you be able to have more than 1 Motherships at the same time?...

And welcome to the forum excubitor:)

13. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

cool... another Mothership topic!... welcome to the forums dude, i hope you enjoy but please use the search button, even more, just look a few topics below and you could find at least 3 or 4 topics refering the mothership.

As for the tread itself, i agree, black hole has to return, what a crybabies you can get all the nukes you want but if you have 1 black hole that is overpowered??? well why wont they let us try the demo with both motherships or something like that, so at least our opinions (wich in this case really maters for blizz creating a montly disscution about it) can be based on somethinhg solid and not just speculation, i like the old mothership, the new one is just lame, i dont see anybody complaining about the thor and it being anti air, anti ground, multiple buildable, etc, so why make the mothership even no anti air? thats just stupid in my opinion, just the cheapest way to make a super unit a total waste, i think they are abusing this special purpose thing on the protoss, hardened shields, anti ground shield only, heavy damage only on big units, no anti air fire for the mothership, oh and when she uses her abilities shes no longer able to fire! those are not the mighty protoss i like! terrans have all the big guns now... well until they are nerfed like hell wich happened to protoss.

14. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I want my old MS back and I totally agree with you saga. I want to be able to go through week units with my PC and then have at least some defense from air with my BH. I mean you probably could only use it once for a long time it gives it a feature to allow it to escape I mean it doesn't look too fast and I think that once 3 warp rays come around it will be game over for the MS. any way I don't think at current time any one will use the MS during online play.

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the nuke has a cost and can be stopped by killing the ghost

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    And the Mothership is free along with the research for black hole? and of course everyone playes online with "the gathering" on right?

Now (being serious) i have stated my opinions on the Mothership and indirectly on black hole to many time for me to want to repost them here. (you can find them in the "Poll : Mothership" thread if your curious) Now while the beginning of my post is sarcasm alot of people seem to think that in reaction to the black hole ability and even the mothership in general. In my opinion the only way black hole will be coming back either way is if the "super-unit" version of the Mothership comes back and the ability will be balanced because it will be difficult if not impossible to use it in any kind of quick succession where you could multiple nukes in quick succession if you have multiple ghosts and silos (or whatever it is called). Also while the nuke isnt an insta kill it does enough damage to every unit and bulding where the black hole is primarily air units and maybe ground units. (but that is douptful)

17. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the mothership costs 400/400 and the upgrade for black hole costs 400/400 a mothership has 300 energy that means he can use black hole twice in a row and if he has 1energy/sec regeneration he can use it every 3 mins

18. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

yes but you cant use multiple motherships (if the mothership stays as a super unit) also why not to make it more expensive? that way you could only use it once every say 8 minutes, and each time you use it an alarm sounds like a tiny flash on the spot the ability is being used and some warning, so you can escape (or at least try) and yes, its more powerfull, because its a super unit, its protoss and well, its a black hole, a black hole beats ANY and ALL the nukes the world could make together, i really cant see why there is a nuke, actually multiple nukes, wich means a superweapon and now blackhole gets too "unstarcraftish" give me a break make way for new ideas dudes!

19. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

eigth minutes is still too much, in that time the enemy can create only 2 BC's

20. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Hey I was thinking. Blackhole was a very interesting and exciting ability for the Mothership to have. How could it work in gameplay?

Have you ever seen a sci fi movie where "major facility or vehicle" is self destructed? What if the Mothership was regiven the blackhole ability has a SUICIDE option during combat? Not only that the blackhole would also funnel in FRIENDLY airships as well, so its consequence would be that it was a last ditch effort.

(On its own it could be destroyed before it got close enough to a formidable air force, and if in a larger group of friendly ships it would be potentially very costly to kamikaze it, making it only valuable as a last ditch self destruct strat).

So essentially the center of the blackhole would start dead center of the self destructing mothership, thus also limiting the range, or for that matter the ability of the MS to destroy the entire fleet. This would in a sense still facilitate the use of blackhole, without it being an overwhelming imbalance.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Clearly this was one of the most interesting MS abilities.