Mothership and Carrier overlapp too much?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Aug 30, 2007.

Mothership and Carrier overlapp too much?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DKutrovsky, Aug 30, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont see much of a difference in those two units currently.

2. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

The mothership has abilities like timebomb and planet cracker that the carrier doesn't have. The carrier doesn't have weapons mounted on it, but interceptors instead which expand it's range, increasing damage and being able to attack multiple targets.

In this way, the mothership is more like the terran battlecruiser (only with shields, better guns, and better abilities).

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    T^eh carrier is a capitol ship while the mosthership is a supporting caster able to cloak units and level bases. It is a more specialized unit while the carrier is more general purpose

4. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I suppose :)

But they still kinda overlap in the ATG department.

Edit: I guess thats one of the reasons why the carrier should not get any new abilities.

5. string_me_along

well, phoenixes also attack ground. They don't overlap in my opinion. I think that the carrier and the mothership both have significant ATG power, but they are used differently and both have different niches. With the exception of the planet cracker, I believe that both of them have the same attacks with ATA as they use with ATG.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No the MS doesn't have an ATA attack anymore as part of the over nerf they did

7. string_me_along

/\
    That's the lamest thing I've ever heard. Well, it does serve to illustrate my point here that the carrier and mothership are two very distinct units. But it also makes me sad that the mothership has been castrated so thoroughly.

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I don't think they overlap at all. The Carrier is your average late game attacking air unit. The MS is more of a support role.

9. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

@ string_me_along --- u better watch your quoting,, dont you read rules??? "u dont need to quote the guy above you" thats just plane annoyance and ignorance... u even deserve a level down for that, but maybe since your getting emotional with this thread, this will serve as a warning.....

10. string_me_along

/\edited. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have felt...

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The carrier and the mothership do overlap in the fact they both are heavy air units with similar costs and abilities. (with the exception of the MS's cloak and the carriers ability to attack air also there ATG attack is nearly idnetical besides range [im not talking about planet cracker] and time bomb serves a simialr funtion s the interceptors for negationg enemy fire) 

Right now you get both unit at about the same time in the game and they both cost a similar amount and can be massed the only real differences are those listed above. So while in a side by side comparisson they may look very different they will both be used very similary.

P.S. @Freemdom23 if think someone made a mistake in there post there are nicer ways of asking them to fix besides threatening them. (and more private ways as well)

12. string_me_along

/\ Thank you for the kind words. I agree. But it might just be better for me to just nicely apologize and move on. I'm not the type of person interested in flame wars. :).

You're also right about the carrier and mothership in their positions at the top of the tier. It may turn out that players decide to just get a bunch of one or the other.

13. The Vision

The Vision New Member

I dont mind the similarities between the two. It just gives more choice to suit different situations. Atm i still probably prefer the carriers