Mobile Bunker

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Oct 29, 2007.

Mobile Bunker

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Mobile Bunker would replace the Thor if it is removed.
    Unit stats and abilities can be discussed here, i just made some designs.

1 Walking Bunker
    2 Rollin Bunker
    3 Juggernaut Bunker
    4 Thor with bunkers on its back (I didn't care to draw the rest of the body)

It would be cool if units could use their abilities in them (in normal bunkers too...). That way they would be able to indirectly launch nukes, by having a Ghost in em.

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I like #3 with the extra guns on it. Are they just decoration, or do they fire separately from the units inside.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    if the bunker on its back fits 4 units, then they would be used separately. If it can carry 6+ units, they would be removed.

4. jamaylott

jamaylott New Member

wow, a mobile bunker eh? thats pretty good.

i think we all want to se SOMETHING like a mobile bunker... but if a thor had a bunker on it... JESUS!

for one, that would be one EXPENSIVE ASS unit.... 400m for the bunker.... 500m and 250g for the thor... plus like 200m and 100g if you want ghosts and rines in there.... thats like 1100m and tons of gas for this fortress.

BUuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it does sound appealing doesnt it? I mean, it would take FOR EVER to truly make the men, build the thor, then build the bunker on the thor..... then load the men.

I mean, it would take AT LEAST 2-3 minutes of just build time.... and if a player COULD acctually manage to make 3 of them.... well, the end would truly justify the means....

So this would obvisouly be like a 4th or 5th teir unit/mod on the thor right?

But, in a game thats going into the 25 minute range... that would be AWESOME to see.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Building a bunker on top of a Thor sound good, but what i meant is that the unit actally starts with the bunker. Instead, it would'nt have its artillery cannons.

6. jamaylott

jamaylott New Member

ya, i c...

so like a choice then?

start the thor with a bunker... or start it with cannons?

if it starts with cannons, and could then be upgraded to hold upto 4 units and an increase of like 150-175 hp.... that would do....

on the contrary...

if it started with the bunker... perhaps it starts with a capacity of 4, but is then upgradeable to 6 or even 8?  (you could tuck SCVS in there, let them out in battle, repair tanks ect... load em back up...)  be a cool micro to see...

haha i can see it now.... there would be a term for a player who spends the 5,000 on resources to "parade" 5 thors into an enemy base and then lose them to heavy air like a guardian... haha.... what a sight....

but still, the parade...hehe

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I lolled hard at the exhaust pipe and the little fumes ;D

I can't imagine a moving bunker because a) bunkers must be reinforced underground as well to be able to withstand all the stuff thrown at it and b) it looks/has the role very similar to a tank which we already have.

I say there should be a time when you stop defending and trying to improve the Thor to make it stay in the game (or otherwise create a new unit in its place). It overlaps too much with the tank, period. And I'm saying this as someone who actually likes the Thor as it is now, someone who understands Blizzard's reasoning but doesn't agree with it.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i dislike the idea that the thor have a bunker on its back, because it weakness to units that moves fast and to units that can mass and are small, does not really exist anymore. unless the units in the bunkers can only shoot in in the same area that the thor is looking at.

but the others look good.

9. LxMike

LxMike New Member

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Heh, i kinda like it! Nice overall design :powerup:
    I might do something like that and add it later sometime.

11. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

I like the idea, but not the design

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    All four of them, or what?

13. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    This is a great idea!! number three is my favorite.
    Think of all the possibilities!
    I think it should act like a normal bunker, as in units can't use abilities, but naturally they could get out then hope back in.
    Also, I think it could just be a bunker upgrade or something, as in you build a bunker, and it has a "lift off" ability, which insted of making it take off, just makes it stand up.
    While standing it could walk, about the speed of a Colossus perhaps, and walking over terrain like the Colossus and reaper, which would make it extremely versatile.
    I think design three is the coolest, which may or may not work with my idea. You should be able to load more units as well. That as an upgrade too, upgrade to six, or more.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    The issue I have with you idea Chax, is when your talking about it walking over terrain, the ability it would have to walk into an opponents base, loaded with 4-6 marines in it just overlaps too much with the reaper and viking. That would give the terrans 3 units that would be able to go over cliffs and attack enemy bases with ease.

The viking, I brought up, because even with AA on cliffs, it won't stop them then they change to ground mode and swarm the supply line. So it acts like a reaper to some extent.

I like the ability for the bunker to walk, because it counters the Protoss's new mechanic to phase in/out cannon anywhere in their pylon power network. However, I don't feel that it should be able to cross cliffs. Also, like the cannon, there should be some limitation as to how far it could move and where it could move to. Perhaps it could be an ability that takes energy, and the bunkers only has a very limited amount of energy to use for it, say walking time of about 10 seconds before it runs out of energy. Also, I don't think it shouldn't be able to go any faster than a marine.

15. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Good point. How about while walking it has low armor and such, therefor vulnerable. So the mobility would just make it mobile defense, and render it impractical offensively.
    The energy idea I would agree with as well, or "fuel," if need be.
    Also, I'm not too attached to the clif idea, just the mobility.
    EDIT:
    I apologize, I'm a bit bias toward the Terran XD

16. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Good idea, basically make it vulnerable while moving but powerful when it turns back into ground mode. That would also popularize the idea of offensive bunkering as well. The only problem I see, is if you use it in attacks, the changing between modes could possibly overlap the terran siege tank and thor bombardment, since both require the change in modes for powerful attacks.

The problem with creating new units for terran is that many units are multipurpose units, so any sort of mechanic could easily be seen in two or more units, making it hard to create a new unit that doesn't already share the abilities of one that already exists.

17. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Thats true too. In all honesty I see no need to modify the Terran (or Protoss) much further, they have enough transformers as it is, your right. In fact we havn't even seen all the Terran and Protoss buildings (as far as I know,) and not all upgrades and abilities for sure.

On a completely different note that doesn't belong here, I wonder how the new editor will deal with people make units transform into other units not originally intended.
    If someone wanted to make a flying Viking instead turn into a mini Thor, or Predator to mini Thor.
    Who knows...anyway this is very off topic.

18. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    We have seen almost, if not all buildings in test games and introductions, but they aren't finalized yet, which is why they aren't on the official website yet. They're still working with the designs for them and don't want to officially announce them until they have it the way they want it. That's why the Nexus hasn't been on the official site, even though its been seen in every protoss demo video.

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I hadn't really though about this, but it is true. Mobile Bunkers would be a lot more flimsy than regular, static bunkers, because they are not embedded in the ground. Also, if you were a Marine, imagine trying to fire out of the thin slits, yet alone firing accurately at enemies. It would be like standing up on a bus, without anything to hold on to, while playing darts. It would be extremely hard to stand up, or at least stand still because of the jagged acceleration and breaking of the Bus/Mobile Bunker, and hitting the Dart Board/Enemies would be near impossible.
    This is especially true for the Bunkers on the Thor's shoulders. Watch the Thor walk on the official StarCraft2 website. http://starcraft2.com/features/terran/thor.xml Watch how much its shoulders turn as it is walks and notice how its shoulders clunk up and down as it turns. No Marine would be able to fire properly under these sorts of conditions.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The remade Thor with bunkers on its shoulders would obviously walk more carefully, to not clunk em up and down. The Thor with bunkers on its shoulders would not litterally look like a Thor with bunkers on its shoulders, but close to it. It would be a little more steady lookin etc.