Merc Haven is Back...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Dec 14, 2007.

Merc Haven is Back...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Psionicz, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So this means Reapers are still built from the Barracks and the Merc Haven is possibly an add-on to the Barracks so it can create the Reapers but to build this add-on you need a Factory first so it would be like:
    Barracks - Factory - Merc Haven - Reapers

Which would mean they cannot be used in very early game since factories don't exactly come straight away and the add-on would also hold back a little time. But I guess you could get all this before Protoss starts building their big strong units so hmm...

Any speculations on how this could change gameplay?

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I don't think that the Merc Haven would be an add-on. Remember a new Terran mechanic is interchangeable add-ons - Tech Lab and Reactor. Merc Haven would not fit in to that.

But yeah, essentially Reapers would probably be the biggest threat mid-game. Players will probably try to get a 'Reaper' rush, where they get Reapers as fast as they can and destroy an enemy economy through the back door.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yea but this tactic could be at a stand off if a Protoss player has Stalkers guarding the minerals, depends how fast you do it and who you get with it.

And what signifigance would the Merc Haven have if the Reapers are made from Barracks, would it be like a research building?
    Like uhh, how you have to build a Science Facility before you get BCs or Ghosts.

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Right. Merc Haven is purely be a prerequisite for building Reapers. I imagine that upgrades for them would also be researched there, but other than the mines I'm not sure what that consists of.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol, a whole building just to research mines for something as expendable as the Reaper. GG Blizzard.

And I know Protoss had a whole building to research speed for Zealots but they are more useful at all times in the game and now they have charge and speed so no one mention Zealots and the Cital of Adun.

But if it stays like this I guess people will use a high number of Reapers to attack the whole base at once with their jumping ability, fight a lil bit then set mines on everything and finally BOOM.

6. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I think it's a good idea. I mean.. Imagine sending a bunch of reapers in the early game. Not only you would whack the enemy's economics, but you could also do a guerilla strike on a vital building (say, spawning pool) with the mines and BOOM then you get the hell outta there. So it makes a lot of sense that merc haven is back.
    And by the way, apart from a possible mines research, they could also give an energy upgrade (like the colossus reactor on wraiths) so that you could use the mines ability more often.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Mines would have to be researched, plus so what if they jump, Zealots/Zerglings/Hydralisks will be waiting on the other side.

My point is they should make it an add-on to the Barracks, makes life a lot easier. Whats the point of having to build a factory as well as the Merc Haven just for Reapers which cost 50 minerals and 25 vespane.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

merc haven is back? you got to be kiddin me. is there a chance it wont be a ($%& gay bar?

come ON! terran needs to look TOUGH.

9. notjim

notjim New Member

lol yeah when i think of merc haven i think of an inn where half elves and dwarves meet up to go adventuring. this isnt warcraft in space blizzard! but it would be kinda cool for ums maps.

10. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Who said the reapers would use energy for their mines. They could have a set number of them like the old vulture did spider mines and after you use them up that's it. And the upgrade at the merc haven could be to increase the starting amount of mines for each reaper.

11. Wrathbringer

Wrathbringer New Member

I'm seeing Reapers being rarely used if the Barracks-->Factory-->Haven-->Reapers stays.

This is starting to look into the middle of a match, and IMO Reapers will not be strong enough to do much at all in a heavily defended base. They'd be relegated to raiding the occasional outpost, which even then is a waste of minerals since if you find a relatively unguarded base you can just use your main force to attack without needing to train Reapers. I'd rather just use a Dropship and some Marines if I wanted to do some base raiding midgame, since at least it'll get me the Starport which I can use for building other useful units.

Reapers NEED to be tier 1 or 1.5 in order to see any use in the actual game.

12. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Merc Haven is pointless. Clearly they should make Reapers available in the early game.

13. L89

L89 New Member

And the name "merc haven" sends sickened shivers down my spine.

14. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

well, i'm happy the Merc Haven is back, I liked the idea of a bar with a bunch of roudy criminal thugs ready to kill something. Very terran-esque.