Melee Combat Ghost.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Melee Combat Ghost.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, May 29, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

How about it? Ghost are exceptionally skilled in melee combat as well. why not show them in game?

maybe a switchable attack mode or only exclusive for campaign.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/933/ghostbladebyrabidsablefrm8.jpg
    http://www.armchairempire.com/images/previews/multi-platform/starcraft-ghost/starcraft-ghost-5.jpg

they will move faster while in melee mode.

terran should have more units that have switchable mechanics or abilities. just like the bc's dual abilities, tank's mode, vikings air and ground mode.

i say give the thor 2 different upgradeable abilities just like the bc.

and well maybe a melee ghost mode. stealth + melee ghost backstab = gg.

2. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Too much choice is bad, it hurts the mind.

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

lolzz (darktemplar wannabe), sacrificing snipe for backstab is ridiculous, and thus only increasing the chances of the enemy killing you.. a special operative unit like a sniper indeed can function like that, but its more intended for an indoor ability, coz a war wont even give you a chance to get close at enemies within inches.. Im not a terran hater but the fact is that terran is the most nourished race IMO, every unit has their own skill, can you name a terran unit without one?? that is why I mind so much if they change yet again another terran unit.. makes it unfair for other units in the game with just an attack option, though you might say that they are balanced coz some other races outdo the terran via, innate abilities like permanent cloak etc.

what i can see is that the ghost shouldnt be bothered so much anymore but besides updating if it will have drop pods or EMP for final.... multiple skills that can vary its mode is way too much giving details for certain units like that, making it more like a hero in WC so just stay with that...

All terrans will never go melee as all other races will easily butcher them to death lol...

i2new@aol.com likes this.
  4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but it still cool. well maybe it doesn't make sense in the battlefield, but how about in some installation campaign etc.

another thing i would like to see is, ghost able to jump cliffs. hahah.

5. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

well maybe we could just hope that the campaigns will go into details like that or perhaps it can be done in the map editor so we can have customs like that... do you recall how versatile a ghost can be??

have you checked the SC ghost back then? it was so much, like that,..

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

well put freedom23, you need not say a word more. Terrans are way to fragile lore wise to even attempt a melee incounter with a zealot or zergling head on..... its just not ganna happen. terrnans need to stick with there guns and shoot them down yards away before the unit even sees the targets....

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes i read that ghost are extremely powerful both mentally and physically. ghost can kill people with their mind, they can run with insane godlike speed, they can reap through walls(w/ teir kick or punch?), they can jump tall obstacles, etc.

too bad the in game ghost looks like and plays like just an ordinary infantry. they should be hero like in game. =\

@ i2new@aol

but ghost can do it and very efficient at it. imo they will use melee combat when needed in random situations lorewise.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  8. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

@ zeratul11 plz stop being retarded.... WHEN in the heck do you see a ghost and a zealot in hand to hand combat trapped in a room where thers no weapons and a zealots dose not win....... I'm just ganna say its not even possible to hope to beat a zealot in hand to hand combat let-alone using a melee type weapon.... Yeah you can say a ghost can do this or that.... but the weakest protoss unit can tear apart a ghost..... only protoss unit that wont win is a dragoon, immortal, or stalker not in there suit....... and a probe...

lets not even get started on zerg units vs a ghost cause i can still see even a raging zergling whooping a ghost in a room with no weapons.....

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

hey im not being retarded im imagining possibilities, reasonable and very likely possiblities.

ghost have cloak, are powerful also physically and mentally, they can jump very high, high enough strength, unhuman like speed and balance, can somersault, very intelligent........can caught zealot hydra zergling off guard in certain moments while making a duel lorewise, and with their melee weapons (i dont know what maybe a light saber or just simply a huge knife), they can surely in some occasion can kill a zealot or hydra one on one.

zergling vs a ghost? no melee weapon for the ghost? ok, the ghost will go mano e mano with that zergling. its not like the ghost will just stand there and wait for the zergling to tear her/him apart. the ghost will jump and evade the stupid zergling and kich its ugly ass back to char.

Even a marine can crash a zergling in some situation with nothing but his powered armored powersuit. yes his steel fist can kill a zergling for sure. all the marine need is some luck. just imagine what more the ghost can do on a lone zergling, it will be easy even with no weapons.

if the ghost can't even kill a zergling one on one... then why the hell did they still make the ghost:fps console game and also make the ghost character in starcraft more popular and re imagine them to be powerful hero like...

please dont be retarded. know more about the ghost. do you know nova? i think the ghost you know is only the in game ghost in starcraft 1 with his stupid weak shotgun attack and very easy to kill in game. know the ghost lorewise.

and when i said melee combat for the ghost... they will have melee weapon ofcourse!

but ofcourse they should not go in melee combat in usual battles. no.

10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

ok first off melee weapons??....whats the difference in giving you a melee weapon if you have to sneak to kill the unit. Head on in a match your not going to beat a zealot. Your compairing a fight with the zealot with a weapon and the zerg match without the weapon. Lets rate the fighting on a even scale. All matchs will have no weapons....

Ghost(unarmed) vs Zealot(unarmed)
    Plain white room: lights on no doors....

My vote is on the zealot.
    1. its bigger
    2. it most likly has waymore combat experince since all protoss have lived longer then any human
    3. its mental power at a zealot's level is either even or greater then the ghost so its not like the ghost can read the zealots mind and know what attacks are coming.
    4. can a ghost charge? After the events of brood war most zealot have stepped up there game and are even faster then before..... i dont see a ghost wanting to play freez-tag-or-death with a unit they have no chance in catching...

zergling(unarmed but not really) vs ghost(Unarmed)
    Plain white room: lights on no doors....

i might go with the ghost on this but not 100% sure. this is a hard match cause i'm ganna say the zerglings speed is going to be way faster then the ghost even on its worse day. I'm just not all that sure whats going to happen here cause i'm thinking the ghost is going to have more power over the zergling in some way but not 100% sure.

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok... zealot vs ghost. if your talking about the most well trained zealot then it should not be match against an average ghost. i bet the top of the class ghost, i think its class S like nova.

ok il go with nova since shes the only known powerful ghost character.

ghost with melee weapon against a zealot. you saying the ghost win. ok. 1-0.

ghost without a melee weapon against a zealot.

i think nova can still read and anticipate any zealot attack. i think novas bear kicks and/or punchs and/or submission skills alone is enough to kill the zealot if caught of guard.

the only chance the ghost will lose is if she made a mistake in her moves.

about the charge.. if thats instant teleport slash... then its game over for the ghost.

anyway this duel imo is a tie.

current score 2-1 in favor of ghost.

ghost with melee weapon against a zergling. ghost easily wins! 3-1.

ghost without a melee weapon against a zergling.

let see, zergling faster? in running? well it can run but its in berserk mode it just go straight to the ghost without even thinking what may come up unlike the ghost. so the ghost will just evade and evade and with some ease timing and precision she can just kick or punch the zerling right on the soft spot and kill it.

ghost wins! 4-1

12. Yamato_Cannon

Yamato_Cannon New Member

Virginia, United States
    If you give a ghost a melee attack, you could argue about any unit and say they should have a melee attack. Marines could attack with their bayonets, medics, right before death, could melee and kill something with morphine, or even hydralisks could be given a melee animation.

Personally, I'd love to see it if it was merely a passive animation that occured when a unit got too close, but if it was selectable, then it would be too much.

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

passive animation will do if the selectable melee attack doesn't make sense in real war.

i just thought a melee attack would work for a terran unit, and i thought of the ghost since its highly skilled in any form of combat.

actually thats a good idea. when enemy melee units attacks the ghost the ghost fights back with his/her melee weapon dealing more damage. its automatic, but you cannot have switchable attack forms.

and you can go stealth mode go close to the an enemy and backstab, since your in melee range the ghost automatically use its melee weapon and deal more lethal damage than its rifle.

the snipe wont be useless.. since you need cloak which burns energy to perfectly execute a melee backstab.

14. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

The only ghosts i've heard about using melee attacks are Nova, and Giles. One of them fan-made[self-pat on back] A ghost with a knife should be a fair match for a zealot though and completely forget about Zergling, if you cant dodge it maybe you shouldn't be a ghost any way.
    Zealots are fast no doubt, but most likely lacking in maneuverability (have you seen protoss leg structure?).
    If not caught on the initial charge, a ghost could out-maneuver a zealot and get behind it. The zealot has psionicly charged shields, but who's to say that the ghost isn't using some of it's psionic powers to enhance melee abilities as well as weapon damage?
    Would be an interesting fight, no doubt.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ghosts will always be stronger at range then they ever will be in combat, ergo, there is no incentive for them to fight in hand-to-hand combat. Hand-to-hand combat would also require the element of surprise and careful positioning, taking much longer for the Ghost to set up the fight in order to ensure that they will start the fight with the upper hand, otherwise there is no reason for them to fight at all.

Terran are physically weaken than both the Protoss and the Zerg. They have no melee units whatsoever. If they did, then they would be obliterated by any other Protoss or Zerg unit. Not only do melee units need the health reserves to survive getting to their opponent in the first place, but they've then got to have enough to last to defeat their target. If they manage to, then they have to move onto the next one, and the next one, and the next one. Terran definitely do not have the physical capabilities to survive such situations, nor do they have the numbers. Melee units are pretty much expected to die. They've got to charge through a barrage of bullets just for the chance of reaching their adversary. There will almost never be a one-on-one fight in StarCraft, so there will always be more units to kill, that are in turn trying to kill them. Zerg and Protoss, who are balanced teams as opposed to the Terran who are purely a ranged team, have other ways to overcome the problems associated with melee combat. Protoss are naturally tough and are physically capable of taking the damage, and the Zerg have a mix of tough units, like the Ultralisk, and swarmed units, like Zerglings. In order to solve the numbers problem, Zealots, etc, have in-built devices to teleport them back to their homeworld when their health gets to a critical level, and as I said before, the Zerg naturally have numbers. The Protoss are also the most technologically advanced race in the game, allowing them to build other devices, like improved melee weaponry and shields. The Zerg are also the most biologically advanced race allowing production of both swarmed species, and durable species. The Terran have none of this. Their weapons are not as advanced as the Protoss' or Zerg's, and the same goes for their armour, they are physically weaker and less durable, and they do not have the numbers to sustain a supply of melee troops, even if they can also fight at range. The Ghost can attack from anywhere, from any angle and from any vantage point, not to mention that its ranged attack is much more powerful than its melee attack could ever be. Yes, the Ghost would be the best melee unit of the Terran, much better than any mechs or ordinary Marines, but when even compared to the worst melee units of the other teams, they would hardly stand a chance.

In any situation, when a Ghost is faced with any melee unit, no matter whether it's Protoss or Zerg, they will always be better off to fight from range. Reread my Ghost vs Organic thread sometime. To take out a Zealot, a Snipe and a shot will take it out instantly, as will an EMP and a snipe. With Zerglings, two shots each or one Snipe each will, again, do the trick.

About StarCraft:Ghost, any parallels drawn from this are completely irrelevant. You cannot compare any type of game to any other type of game, so no comparing Ghosts of StarCraft:Ghost, a FPS, to Ghosts of StarCraft2, a RTS. The reason? Players in FPS's, like StarCraft:Ghost, are designed to be able to take on masses and masses of units throughout the one game, whereas single units in RPS's, like StarCraft2, are not. If you're saying that all this stuff would be possible because it was done in StarCraft:Ghost, then none of what's in StarCraft:Ghost should be possible due to what was possible in StarCraft1, not to mention that StarCraft:Ghost was cancelled so anything acquired from that is practically useless as it never existed in the StarCraft universe, just as things like Cobras and Predators, being some of the cancelled units of StarCraft2, also have never existed in the StarCraft universe.

10-Neon likes this.
  16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i read it all. and i agree on most but this.

"Yes, the Ghost would be the best melee unit of the Terran, much better than any mechs or ordinary Marines, but when even compared to the worst melee units of the other teams, they would hardly stand a chance."

if your talking one on one, or random lone melee encounter then i dont agree. ghost are really powerful lorewise, and i dont need to explain everything coz im sure you have an idea.

ghost dont have a chance against a zergling one on one? i think its the other way around.

i even think a ghost can kill an ultralisk one on one. hahah. how? the possibilities are endless. jump on top the (lore said ghost can jump high)of the ultralisk and slice off its eyes. you will never see this in the rts, but in starcraft ghost its possible. xp

"About StarCraft:Ghost, any parallels drawn from this are completely irrelevant. You cannot compare any type of game to any other type of game, so no comparing Ghosts of StarCraft:Ghost, a FPS, to Ghosts of StarCraft2, a RTS. The reason? Players in FPS's, like StarCraft:Ghost, are designed to be able to take on masses and masses of units throughout the one game, whereas single units in RPS's, like StarCraft2, are not. If you're saying that all this stuff would be possible because it was done in StarCraft:Ghost, then none of what's in StarCraft:Ghost should be possible due to what was possible in StarCraft1, not to mention that StarCraft:Ghost was cancelled so anything acquired from that is practically useless as it never existed in the StarCraft universe, just as things like Cobras and Predators, being some of the cancelled units of StarCraft2, also have never existed in the StarCraft universe."

first of all it was canceled NOT because eveything on it(lore) is wrong. they never said anything about that. so its not irrelevant in the starcraft lore.

imo its because the 3rd person shooter or fps has a very stiff competition on the consoles, and starcraft ghost obvously was not really enough to be of the same level as popular games like halo, gears of war, metal gear etc... it was risky so that is why i think they just canceled it and try to improve it more later.

well starcraft ghost being fps shows what or how exactly is happening in the universe of starcraft in an upclose perspective. showing how the ghost really fights etc in real life or lorewise as also explain in their descriptions and novels.

everything you see in ghost is what really is happening in the rts version. in the rts you spam and just kill units, but in ghost you can actually see how units fight etc. just take a look at the battlecruiser in starcraft ghost, compared to the rts version the battlecruiser easily get destroyed even by marines or hydralisk. in ghost and in real life starcraft no way can hydralsik and marines can shoot a battlecruiser high above the air.

how the ghost acts in game in starcraft rts does not justify how the ghost really is lorewise.

so do you think lorewise the ghost will just stand in battle sniping or shooting while the hydralisk at the same timefires spikes on him or her. no. same as melee combat, ghost will use his/her skills not just by standing and kicking and punching straight on.

and i dont think everthing in starcraft 1 is perfect. the gay rambo ghost for example is incorrect for what the lore and novel speaks of the ghost. Also another good example is the UED, why do they look like terran. the lore says they are different etc. you just dont base starcraft lore with starcraft 1 the rts game bcoz most on it is lacking and are inaccurate lorewise too.

starcraft ghost shows how the ghost is according to lore. if ghost can beat zealot one on one in starcraft ghost, then thats possible or true because lorewise as said ghost are extremely powerful they have unhuman like capabilities.

and yes i believe the ghost can take on several enemy at once.

so predator and cobra never existed in starcraft universe just bcoz they were canceled? then why in the first place did blizzard made and thought of them. they were obviously fitted for the terran, its just that they want gameplay perfection etc. but lorewise they can easily include them.

i just hope starcraft 2 have a cinematic showing the ghost true potential.

starcraft ghost shows the starcraft universe upclose and its relevant canceled or not.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I think a Zealot would own a Ghost 1v1 melee. First of all, the Zealot has psionic powers so you can't sneak up on it, also lore-wise its senses are far better enhanced than ours so cloaking, lore-wise isn't doing much since it would be able to sense the Ghost's prescence.
    Also note that Zealots are way stronger than any human, I don't care if Ghosts are the strongest humans, Zealots trump all humans in combat.
    The Zealot also has a shield meaning that first attack wouldn't do much except tickle his shield, by that time the Zealot would have sensed you and ripped you apart with his blades.

Only way a Ghost can beat a Zealot is by range, lore-wise and gameplay-wise. I wouldn't want my costly Ghostes being risked because they have to get in melee range to kill one Zealot.
    And don't mention them using melee vs High Templars, cuz they are high Templar for a reason and they would probably fry the Ghost's brain close counters.

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A Ghost would never drop it's huge sniper-cannon-thing to favor punching and kicking. End of story.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Exactly, a gun does more damage than a punch or kick.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i did not say that the ghost should use melee combat instead of guns. i was just pointing out that melee combat is possible in certain situation lorewise because for one thing ghost have unhuman like strength, knowlede, speed, and physical conditionning that makes them very effective at melee combat also.

i believe a ghost can beat a zealot given a melee weapon. even without a weapon.

ghost are not just any mere human. if only starcraft ghost was not cancelled then you'll know what i mean. =\

high templar? upclose it has no chance against a ghost with a melee weapon. at long range, all the ghost need is a head shot.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.