Medics

Discussion in 'Terran' started by 10-Neon, Jun 7, 2007.

Medics

Discussion in 'Terran' started by 10-Neon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    How do you think Medics will change in StarCraft II? In the original StarCraft, their abilities outside of Heal, are largely unused.
    Some things that bothered be about Medics: when ordered to attack-move into an area with other units, they keep going when the other units attack something- only stopping if the units take damage, and otherwise marching to their deaths.
    Optical flare: great for taking out detectors, but rarely used by anyone but computers.
    Restoration: requires too much micro to be useful, most effects wear off before the player can order them to restore.
    Only one Medic can heal one unit at a time. This isn't so much of a problem until that one medic runs out of energy, and another Medic is waiting around, loaded with energy, but unable to use it.

If Blizzard changes the Medic, what do you think they will do? I personally hope they provide more useful special abilities, or at least more useful ways to use the abilities.

2. coalescence

coalescence New Member

How untrue, I don't know about you, but restoration saved alot of my BC who had been plagued by defilers. Also, the "Only one Medic can heal one unit at a time", thats a thing of skill and quick micro.

3. Zeratul

Zeratul New Member

Medics can only heal one unit at a time but a bunch of medics can heal the same unit at the same time...
    Unless that's not what you meant and you just wrote it badly..
    I think the restoration ability will stay, maybe with an auto-cast ability which you can switch on/off by right clicking (thats what they did in War3 I believe). This means that any unit plagued will be auto restored to its normal state providing the auto-cast is on.
    As for Optical Flare, its rarely used except by computers and UMS games which still don't use it much. I wouldn't be too surprised if they scrapped it and replaced it with a whole new ability maybe a regen ability that doesn't require the medic to be around to heal for a set period of time. Maybe thats too good though, otherwise it will probably be quite a high energy cost.

4. mc2

mc2 New Member

It is true that human players rarely use the optical flare. I've never seen anyone use it, and I've never used it before. Restoration is very useful, especially if you have your tanks or battlecruisers locked down. The restoration ability can be a life saver. As well as removing the devouerer's acid spores, and the queen's parasite.

What needs to be improved on medics is to not let them charge right into the enemy's base. There needs to be a quick and easy way to micro them so that they stay with the front line of marines. Maybe an button where they'll automatically heal marines as well as following the leading group. I can't stand seeing them just walk straight into the enemy's base while the rest of the team is still all the way back.

And finally, from a technical stand point, medics should only be allowed to heal on unit at a time. It would probably be a bit unbalanced if medics can heal all units at once. I mean they already increased the life expectancy of infantry dramatically. And also the player are more likely to be able to abuse the stim packs if the medics can heal everyone all at once.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Medics are hot.

ANYways, I think that Restore is quite possibly one of the most useful abilities in the whole game. I think is was actually on a sporadic auto-cast in the first one.....I was playing it last night, and my Marines got plagued, and I think I saw Restores randomly targeting them....

Optical flare....A nifty idea, massively useful against detectors, no other use. Period.

6. Pix

Pix New Member

I agree, the AI of the standard Medic must be drastically improved.
    ~Pix~

7. Zombine

Zombine New Member

The medic had a shield in the image(one of the reasons they were so wide) and i think they should be able to get a +25% defense bonus with a -25% movement rate. it would make the medic useful in assaults, when your marines get bogged down, you cant target medics as easily.

Something similar was used by humans in WC3

8. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    A bunch of Medics can only heal one unit at a time if they are all trying to heal the same unit. They'll surround it with their "healing" animation going off, but only one of them will be using energy to heal the target. The rest of them just sit there, pretending to heal, even after the one doing the healing runs out of energy. They don't "tag out" or anything.

9. Zeratul

Zeratul New Member

You're wrong.. on many occasions I've seen big units get healed extremely fast. Not just a single medic speed.
    For smaller units like marines its less obvious because of the smaller number of medics healing.

10. mc2

mc2 New Member

Zeratul, how does "big units" get healed by medics? Medics only heal SCVs, marines, firebats, medics and ghosts. They are all small units.
    Or did you mean a Protoss player have the Zerg and the Terran under their control? In that case a medic can heal zergling, hydralisk, lurker, ultralisk, defiler, drone, zealot, high templar, dark templar, archon, dark archon. Medic healing is fast on any units, but only 1 medic can heal the unit at any time.

I think what you saw was big units getting repaired by SCVs with the cheat Operation CWAL on.
    Or a Protoss unit having its shields recharged at a shield battery.

11. xxkylexx

xxkylexx New Member

I don't particularly see the role of the medic changing from SC1 to SC2. Flare and Restoration can be quite useful beyond the basic healing action.

12. Zeratul

Zeratul New Member

Ok I stand corrected, just checked it by making a map.
    I didn't see this in a game by mistaking SCVs and I very rarely play single player and don't use cheats often when I do.
    Also the term "big" was taking into account all units. Healing doesn't take place in JUST the main game but also frequently in UMS games. I do not define a medics ability to heal solely on how it heals terran infantry. The reason for this "big" statement is because more medics can fit around it and therefore (going on what I thought before) could heal it at one time.
    I may possibly have seen it by having medics of another team healing a unit of anothers but really I can't be bothered checking this out and its a slim hope.

13. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    They should give them a more of Warcraft heal effect, where they're smart and can stay behind and heal when needed.

14. Meloku

Meloku New Member

The optical flare is amazing for strategic ghost nukes. You bring some medics with the ghosts and simply blind the observers, they cant see you anymore. Once a guy followed my ghost around with an observer throughout his entire base while I nuked him over and over, and once he realized that it was blinded, he said a few choice words and left.

Honestly its one of the funniest things I can think of XD.

15. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Similar story, I once blinded a player's observers, and because I kept nuking him right where the observers were, he accused me of hacking. I told him that I did indeed have a hack that gave one of my units the ability to take away detection :)

16. WHAT!

WHAT! New Member

oh crap thats what optical flare does i never knew that,now i wondered why my detectors couldint see dark templar....i thought the flare removed fog of war haha

17. Zombine

Zombine New Member

optical flair should have an AOE attack, for blinding lines of siege tanks/ packs of O-lords.

18. capthavic

capthavic New Member

If they keep them in SC2 then I bet the medics will have improved AI so they don't blindly run into enemy fire and automated abilities to reduce micromanagement.

19. coalescence

coalescence New Member

It isn't that hard stopping your medics from running into the enemies base, just let them follow your units.

20. Protoss Kills Infinitely

Protoss Kills Infinitely New Member

why can't the medics have it ??? they can heal units so why can't they resurrect units every once in a while :good: ;)

Discuss