Mass Motherships

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Oct 30, 2007.

Mass Motherships

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Seradin, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
  2. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Do you think that would be a wise move? A sure-win? of course it is possible to mass Motherships, but it is something like massing Guardians: without anti-air support, they're sitting ducks. A defending player that spends 1/5 of the cost of that fleet on AA will win without a scratch.

3. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    I know but it would be funny if your oponent didnt even build air, one air unit would be able to kill them.

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I think he was pointing out that making that many Motherships is visually disgusting. I agree.

5. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    cant see a thing and it would rip threw a enemy base in seconds, i mean even if they do have ships.. the base will be gone.

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Okay, if a player lets his opponent gather enough resources and give him enough time to build that many Motherships, they pretty much deserve to lose. That kind of stuff only happens when you're using hacks or if you're playing your 90 year old blind grandma. I hope you were joking.

7. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    lol i managed to get 24 carriers fully upgraded and own the crap out of my brother, a few days ago.

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    With no other unit?

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Ever watched Nal_Ra play Boxer?

Nal_Ra acquired about 30 Carriers.

Boxer still defeated him though. Used Medics to blind Nal_Ra's observers and then attack with cloaked wraiths. It was disgusting. LOL

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, Boxer's Boxer. The rest of us, however, are not.

11. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Oh, ouch. I'm not a very good person:person player, so I was one to mass BCs and wraiths and such. I also was fond of mass scouts. Once I did do well against a Zerg player who had decided to turn traitor and bombed one of my allies (formerly, his ally too) with a hydralisk rush. So I quickly built some Corsairs and pulverized those overlords as they started to drop. He suddenly wanted to team up with me again.

But, man--the Mothership won't be able to attack air? That sucks. But, combine with a wing of Phoenix and a few Motherships would pwn.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Nonesense, I've done that exact same thing, and my micro is only average. Do a Scanner Sweep, find the Observers, Blind as necessary. Unless they're backing their Carriers with a 4+ Observers, any player can reasonably hope to blind them all without much trouble.

13. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

I wonder if the mothership will have lots of armor, like the carriers in SC1, or very little armor to make it more vulnerable to light atacks... anyone know?

14. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    It said on the picture 300 life 300 shield, so it has the most life on any protoss unit in the game.

15. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    It'll probably have fairly thick armor. You'd need a dedicated air-killer, something with missiles or large cannons to do serious damage. I don't see it as being particularly weak to light attacks.

16. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    I think it used to have atleast 600 health and 300 sheild in the first version of it. And yes this is a very powerful combo. Set them all to cloak ability or enough to cloak them all and then bring in a bunch of dedicated AA units into the feild and put that on a choke point damn..... not even 1000 zerglings would get through. And were did you get this picture???

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well the Carrier had an armor rating of 4.  The mothership might be 5 or 6.  Fully upgraded, infantry weapons will hardly make a dent.

I can't imagine the armor being less than the Carrier since this is supposed to e some amazing warship from the height of the Protoss civilization

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    With Boxer's tactics, I do not see how that would have worked. If his opponent had built 30 odd Carriers, then they would easily have time to build a lot of Observers, enough so that he is not able to Blind them all. Also, what stopped his opponent from returning to the safety of his Detector Photon Cannons until he's build more Observers? Even if, for some reason, he decided not to return to the safety of his base, he would definitely have enough time to completely cripple Boxer's main base.
    I think that the Mothership should remain a super-unit, and it should be the only super-unit in the entire game. it would obviously cost a lot and have a tonne of health, but it would be amazingly powerful (not to the extent that it would single-handedly turn the tide in a game, but still extremely powerful). The Black Hole ability was extremely overpowered, seeing as it could instantly destroy an unlimited amount of Battlecruisers or Carriers, in a single attack. Maybe it could be re implemented if it just did an extreme amount of damage over time to units in the effected area, while also slowed enemies that are moving away, and sped up enemies that were moving towards in, instead of instantly killing them. Another way of balancing could also be if the Black Hole ability partially tore apart the Mothership itself. If the Mothership lost all its shields and half its base health, then that would easily be enough to compensate for the destruction of the Black Hole. It would work similar to how Dark Archons lost all their Shields when it cast Mind control.
    Long story short, I think that the Mothership should remain as a super-unit.

19. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I agree with the idea of the mothership being a single unit only. Because even if the enemy had a good AA attack. That number of motherships could lay waste to any enemy base before the AA attack did any significant damage to them.

And for the black hole I think having it is a good idea. But it should only affect one unit per cast. Secondly the use of it would drain all the mothership's shields. And leave it's armour hit points alone. Cause if it's the same as SC 1, there is no way to repair protoss armour. 3rdly I think it's energy cost should be 1/2 of the maximum upgraded energy. Just to avoid the skill being spammed out in the game.

20. eclipse

eclipse New Member

i agree as well. think of the many possibilities with motherships now that templars have hallucination back =D