Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Re: MARINE SHIELD. WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE.

Sorry but I don't. Your shield would be totally useless when attacking because both hands are needed to shoot effectively which would mean your shield would actually be facing towards the ground while firing. Not to mention the design, which is too fancy. The primary function of a shield is to protect as big an area as possible without being too heavy to carry and to have a design that makes them durable. Your shield would break into pieces. Now I know these kind of things wouldn't be done in the game proper but it would take away from the war feeling where practicality is top priority.

I prefer the current shield. Mounted to the shoulder pad, it will never move and always protect as much as it can. Plus it doesn't hinder movement as it would not upset balance during running for example.

3. vinzel

vinzel New Member

i really hate the idea of a shield and bayonet in the marines, it's a ridiculous idea for many many reasons, but it seems that everybody likes it, and cant do nothing about it, however i agree with you.
    You artwork looks really good, the shield looks futuristic like it should be and its not to big like the Blizzard. The team of SC2 should take a look to your idea, no THEY HAVE TO

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

thank you vinzel.

@kuvasz

no its not useless its protecting with STYLE making the marines look more badass, cooler and skillful.
    i don't think its fancy at all its what you call the future. and blizzard can make futuristic shield and make it realistic but not fancy at the same time.

my shield would break into pieces? see the HIGH TECH mechs like gundam shield has. They are similar to mine, looks light but DURABLE as hell. Actually those are heavy futuristic mech like shields. The current marines shield looks heavy and primitive and WEAK actually.

that is just a simple illustration of my suggested shield look. ok im going to make a clean drawing of a marine with the shield so that you guys can clearly see how cool and powerful and handy it will be.

by the way you can stilll use both hands while using my shield. xp

5. kuvasz

Hungary
    See the sketch in the bottom-right? Marine has his arm bent, palm towards his chest, shield facing directly out, protecting the marine. Then suddenly a zergling unburrows and it's time to shoot. Left arm handles recoil, right arm with shield turns 90°, palm facing up to hold the gun and aim. Just imitate what I just said and you'll see that the shield will be facing downwards :) Certainly a good defense against broodlings but your face will be ripped off in an instant.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but you can lower your gun and you can move your shield immediately upward to protect your face anytime and you can bash the screwing broodlings below. heheh.

with the shield attach on the side of the lower arm you can protect any front part of your body.. for a whole cover on the front, the marine should crouch and raise shield vertically.

let see the current shiled is attached on the side of the shoulder area. i think its much difficult to protect yourself with it as you constantly move your whole body but my shield version you only require your right or left hand and you can move it freely. you can even run forward and protect yourself from front attacks and i dont think the current shield can do that. =)

7. kuvasz

Hungary
    Marines don't face their targets with their bodies, they stand in a stable position to withstand recoil and attacks. It's actually their shoulders with the shields attached to them that faces the enemy. See for yourself.
    Plus I would think it'd be easier to move with something attached to a solid part of your suit than to your arm. They do wear power suits but that doesn't know what the occupant wants to move so it still takes muscles to do anything in it.

Now imagine this: You must run a course which is ~400 metres long with minor hills. First you have, say, 10kg attached to your lower arm. Then you must do the same course with the same weight but this time around it's attached to your shoulder. Which would be easier in your opinion?

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok i know the positioning of the marines when they fire. and im going to make a new artwork with it together with my shield. ^^

no if my shield weighs 3x lighter(obviously) than the current shield then it would be easier to run a 400 m minor hills with it than shield on the shoulders. and when enemy is firing laser etc. at you upfront, forewarm with shield protects you better than shoulder with shields.

anyway let just talk about the shield design. i just think the shield should look more stylished than the current one and the position of the shield on the marine could be on the shoulder if you like as long as the designed is FUTURISTIC enough..

9. kuvasz

Hungary
    I don't think military equipment should be concerned with style. Like I said, the most important aspect of a piece of equipment is to be durable and possibly cheap to produce. Your design has small bits sticking out which would break off easily and thus make the whole shield vulnerable. The simple shape of the current shield radiates strength and serves its purpose the most.

Think of your design as a sports car with huge side mirrors, door handles and unnecessary air-intakes, all of which are redundant and only make the car slower when it's sole purpose is to be fast.

10. Eg-EliteGhost

Eg-EliteGhost New Member

wtf they have energy shields.? no mideval shield to fight a sword or a swat team crap medics use it to block them when they heal but marines theier new shield your all mistaken is an energy shield like the protoss it will look like a spherical orb around them and it is an upgrade u dont get it right off the bat.

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

since when did the marine get energy shields? i agree marine should get enrgy shield rather than medieval shields.

anyway i still think the current marine shield needs a little more details and to be more futuristic and powerful looking.

@kuvasc im not saying the shield should be like my arkwork but something similar to that.

12. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
  13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but still mine looks cooler and.... powerful. that is just a sketch wait for my actual artwork of marines with shield(my shield) i will post it on deviant and here soon. xp

14. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    But it is not practical whatsoever, and in StarCraft that makes it pointless.

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

why? the gundam used it and other heavy mechs. and gundam pwns all. yah starcraft 2 is not gundam but why not use or immitate their shields and weapons etc to easily own the zergs etc and make starcraft 2 look outsanding than ever in term of weapons, SHIELDS, aircraft, etc. ^^

and for eye candy make marines look 10x cooler with shields (cooler shields).

16. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    People don't carry around guns so they look cool. People don't drive tanks so they look cool. People don't carry shields around so they look cool. They use them because they have to in order to survive, and your shield looks too flimsy and weak for that.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes they dont carry them to look cool. but it is the watchers point of view which is us, seeing them with nice and powerful shields etc makes them look cool to us.

you really dont have any idea what my shield is like or how tough is it.... like i said they look light but they are not. ok watch this and imagine the material my shield are made of. =p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DXiiYm_DRwk

see the gundam shield... imagine a small prototype version of it on marines. =)

18. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    The problems with a gundam shield is that it is held in the hand, marines can't hold anything in their hands other than their guns. From what I gather from this argument the shield is suppose to replace the bayonet, but this is incredibly unpractical seeing as how shields are suppose to be used to protect you while you use a sword or something to kill your opponent. It just doesn't work. The only way it could would be if you took the exact same model as the current shield and put a point on it.

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Lol, that would be pretty messed up.

"Feel my shield of wrath!" *stab*

Might as well put a gun on it.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no some mechs (gundams) has their shield on their forearm, some are grasp, some are on the shoulder etc.

it doesn't really matter where the shield will be located if you want the shield to be on the shoulder part to be more effective then be it. my point is the design of the current terran shield, coz IMO it doesn't look impressive considering the fact that the terrans are in the future.

now i wanna see the shield in the cinematics maybe i will be convinced. ^^

but anyway at the moment my shield(i'll make it bigger) or something similar will surely looks better on the marines. agree? xp