Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    the shield is a disputed concept for many in the fact that the shield may interfear with combat but lets face it the shield impedes mobility and is not ideal for combat but this could be changed by adding an ability. instead of the marine holding the shield all the time he could carry it on his back like link from Zelda and to use it the you would use the ability "hold your ground" the marines would drop on one knee and draw the shields wile firring from behind the shield.

comments and suggestions please

2. Light

Light Guest

Isnt this something WC3ish?

3. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    no ive never played wc3 and the sheilds are for defence anyway right??

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I like the shields as they are. They don't impede movement because they are attached directly to the suit, probably at the upper arm, not held in the hands.

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Thats very similar to the Footman in Warcraft 3, Defend ability, there, you use it, and the movement speed is reduced but his defense from ranged attackers was increased significantly.

I think like 10-Neon said, the shield is fine the way it is, it wont hinder movement in any way, their powersuits are so heavy and powerful that the shield will hardly be noticable, and its more of an extension of the armor, meaning the marine doesnt have to manage it with any of his arms, its just on the shoulder or w/e. I guess i can even be called shoulder armor instead of a shield so people would shut up about it not belonging in the Starcraft universe.

6. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    i guess but the shield is not very afective currently when the marine is useing his gun he needs both hands so he lifts his shielded arm and it just blocks a little more space on his mid section the actual useage is not really practical

7. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

Marine shield should be attach on the shoulder

8. LxMike

LxMike New Member

I like this idea , just like at the beganing of the movie Gladiador

9. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya i mean if you have a shield its better to take a defensive stance and use it conditionally rather than run around with it all the time. if your shooting down some zerglings your using both hands to steady your rifle and your shield is not in real use its kind of just there.

10. Dinoxe

Dinoxe New Member

I think the shield is attached to the shoulder which means that when you hold your gun it protects you from some damage

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

In Starcraft 2, Blizzard is utilizing the shield upgrade to give the Marines extra hit points. Shields = better, more effective armor (remember, Marines are in power suits, and are considerably stronger as a result) = lore-wise a good reason to have them indicate tougher Marines. Since the shield and bayonet are simply visual effects to indicate such a Marine, there is no need to give them an ability too. The Marines are fine as they are.

12. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    why have bayonets and sheilds just for show. if they want to make marines sronger just give them more upgrades.

13. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

idk but i think that they look cool^^
    the ability doesn't really seem useful... (no offense)

14. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    the abilaty is use full if youve read my post the marines shoot from behind the shield and gain a defenceive advantage. you dont use a sheild to attack some one you defend with a shield

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

This is Blizzard's thinking:

Marines have an upgrade that gives them added range. But let's do something else too. Oh, I know, let's give them a hit point boost to make them still relevant even in late game! And on top of that, it'd be awesome if we could indicate said upgrade with a visual effect! Shield and bayonet woo!

So again, for emphasis, the shield and bayonet isn't just for show, it indicates a significant upgrade. This is why we don't need the shields to actually do anything else in game.

16. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    i never said that the abilaty was a necesaty i was mearly saying that it just seem more realisitic and would inhance the role of the unit in the game. the upgrade will help them stay use full in the late game and the bayonet is not an issue for me the sield is the topic of this thread

17. happypills

happypills New Member

I like the thought...but in SC...mobility is critical...any "ability" that would immobilize a unit puts it at a disadvantage...what if they get rushed or flanked? this is one thing that balances a siege tank...it can't move. Marines aren't strong enough to warrant their immobility. Also...their suits (as others have said) are basically robots/mechs more than a soldier. I think they can handle a lil more metal attached to the arm/shoulder lol I'll admit, they look goofy, and holding that huge gun would be impratical...but if they were going for "practical"...I don't think much of Starcraft would exist hahaha =)

18. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ok so the sheild obviosly does not wheigh down the marines but the point of this obilaty is not to take 12 marines set them down and defend aginst a wole armys its stictly for a more defenceive stance on the battle feild mixed in whith other units. and the abilaty would not imobalize the marines it would just slow them down.

19. happypills

happypills New Member

Put them in a bunker :p personally I'd rather be in one of those then behind some shield with lots/lings/hydras/[insert your favorite alien] attacking me lol

20. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    the piont is that bukers take time to build your not going to build a bunker in the middle of a battle and expect to be sucsessful the upgrade would be the next best thing and be readaly avlailable for use on the battlefield.