Lurkers...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 11, 2010.

Lurkers...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    So why exaclly were the lurkers taken out? and if it was for overlapping rolls what roll would that be?

2. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

They weren't overlapping anything. The Zerg are the only race without units that can attack while cloaked or do splash/line damage.

3. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    There's a blue post explaining it somewhere I think, but basically they couldn't find a good fit for it. Overlapping roles early on with banelings was part of it.

It would be nice if they had given the zerg another unit to replace it though. For awhile that was the common thought: there would be something else Blizz would add. We're way too close to release right now to be introducing a whole new unit though.

4. zaner123

zaner123 New Member

Washington, USA
    Mostly, except banelings and ultras do splash.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

There are more things than just overlapping your own race.

If all races had all the roles, we'd just get one race with three different looks.

Also, in 3d the lurkers attack looks silly.

6. Mattbaumann777

I'm sure they could find a way to make their attack look good, or create a new unit.
    In BW, all three races had units that could attack while cloaked and did splash damage as a seige unit. The Wraith, Lurker and Dark Templar were the cloaking units and the Seige Tank, Lurker and Reaver were the seige units all used to hold positions or back up melee troops. Why did it work for BW but not for sc2?

7. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Infestor can attack(well, not attack, but use offensive stuff) while cloaked and banelings can attack while cloaked.

I still don't understand what the problem is.

8. FallinDevast

FallinDevast New Member

Banelings are very situational, Ultralisks are T3 which are hardly accessible, Infestors are casters who use energy for offense (Infested Terrans are pretty spammable though). Why the zerg need the Lurker back is to have a strong, reliable counter-offensive in mid game enemy pushes where Ultras are far from spawning yet, Infestors are still filling their energy bars and one-trick phony blings are busted (bling drops still work wonders though).

9. superamazing

superamazing New Member

New England/Texas
    How so?

Attached Files:

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I said attack, not the lurkers themselves.

11. Mattbaumann777

Ya the Baneling can "attack" while cloaked, but the Lurker was better since it didn't die when it attacked, and it remained hidden. You could place units over top of it to protect it too. I'm sure they could figure out a way to re-do the graphics if they really tried, or create a new unit with new animation that fills the same role. It's true the Zerg are lacking a seige unit, a cloaked attacker, and and defensive unit to hold ground.

12. Mako

Mako New Member

Proceeding to ignore whining.

13. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Seconded.

Also, you guys are forgetting something.

This is not Starcraft: Brood War.

14. Mattbaumann777

Yeah, I'm glad the game has different units than Starcraft BW, I'm simply saying there are some roles that could be filled to make a race have a more complete army. Since Blizzard said there would be no fourth race because they want to keep all their new units for the original three races, I was hoping to see more originality, especially in the Zerg army. Trust me guys, put me in charge of Blizzard, and it'll turn out okay.

15. FallinDevast

FallinDevast New Member

Yea, said the terran and toss who both have a unit for any situation.

All we ask is a unit similar to the Lurker which make us feel secured. Being the last race developed for SC2, Blizz has run out of creative ideas for zerg, pff.

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    No one really seems to know why blizz took out the lurker then...
    well this is a waste of forum space.

Why does the graphics look silly? if anything the spine crawler has a silly animation. (I am personaly not to fond of the ****s and *****s that they call zerg defencive structures either.)

Maybe if I could find a reasonable reason why they did not use the lurker I would drop my case but if it was because of it decimating tightly packed units, go talk to psi storm and siege tanks, and then go reduce the range of the lurker but still give it an upgrade, just like the colossi's. It would be a stationary colossi that gives liner damage not parallel damage, I still don't see why they took out one of my favorite units from the game.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  17. Mattbaumann777

Ya, it would be deadly to have a line-damage unit again. I can't really say for sure why they removed it, I've only heard rumours. You would think that after all this time you would be able to think of some sort or replacement for the Lurker if they didn't look good in the new graphic system of sc2. I agree, the Zerg defensive structures don't really do all that much. Lurkers are very vulnerable to range units like tanks and air units, so I don't think there's any danger of them being OP.

18. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    They would be at a teir 3 so they couldn't be massed or easily get to it and mass them. Also with the hydra not getting speed upgrades the lurker morph would be an awesome alternative. In sc2 they have made the hydra from a Zerg "bread and butter" unit into a backup/artilery unit.
    It would also seem like lurkers would be more effective in sc1 since the pathing made units follow eachother, (in a linear line) where everything just groups up in sc2.

19. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    I just had an epiphany on this subject. Lurkers have been removed because they would have been stupidly overpowered when combined with fungal growth. Sure they could have still added the lurker and just nerf both lurkers and fungal growth, but that would also be stupid as fungal growth and lurkers would be useless unless combined with each other, and that's the kind of thing that greatly reduces the variety of strategies and unit compositions.

20. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    So you're saying they didn't include them so that they could keep the zerg more diverse?

Ok good call, I will agree with you on that but it feels like FG has such a small AoE that it wouldn't matter that much, and I feel Zerg third teir isn't where it could be and lurkers would have made a fine addition, even if they had implemented them I don't think you would see very many cuz it would be a teir three with for Zerg seems to be a little bit harder to get to and mass those units, mostly because economy reasons.

But they always say "Less is more"... You just don't hear that from Zerg players as much.

"ok you just make less zerglings to attack the enemy with, cuz ya know less is more!"