Lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Star-Crap, Jul 8, 2007.

Lurker

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Star-Crap, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Though i dont know if these gangsters are making their return i would like them to add...

Tunneling. All other races have cloaked units that are able to move and attack while doing so. I ask, why not the lurkers as well? Too cheap you say? HELL NO! You got ur wraiths that attack both air and ground. You can research tunneling just like they research cloak. The Protoss have there Dark Templar and the high attack dmg. To even things out to can make them slower while underground.

whos with me?

2. didd293

didd293 New Member

it sounds like a good idea but how would they show them moving? Holes sliding across the ground? Faded out models? I don't think so, that would be just like cloaking. Don't fix what isn't broken

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Something like Bugs Bunny. It would just make me laugh.

4. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

yeh the bugs bunny thing would be great like they see it comming but they cant attack unless they have a detector

5. mc2

mc2 New Member

It seems like a cool idea. The Nydus Worm has similar characteristics in terms of tunneling to allow other units to move underground.

One minor problem though as suggested by didd293, it's that they'll have to show this round black circle moving in the ground for the player, as well as enemies with a detector. This can get very confusing with the colour of the circle camoflaging with the ground, esp on Char.

6. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

lol let blizzard worry about that

7. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    The nydus worm is there for that I believe, to provide Zerg with a cloak strat.

I've said this elsewhere before but I'll say it again here, burrowed movement for lurkers would be overpowering.

Wraith's cloaking is limited by energy, but what's more important is that it doesn't do too much damage vs ground. Lurker deals splash damage, but not even true splash, lurker deals AoE melee damage which is better. Lurker is the only unit in all of SC1 that deals AoE melee, all other splash damage in the game suffer damage loss over distance.

There are no cloaked units that deal splash damage, because that would be overpowered. Burrowed movement for lurker is similar to siege tanks having their siege mode attack(range, damage, splash) full time while on the move without having to siege.

Lurker was pretty good the way it was.

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

keep it as it is now. i'ts fine.

9. mc2

mc2 New Member

That's a very good point! And just like reavers need time to contruct scarabs, carriers need time to construct interceptors, battlecrusier's yamato are limited by energy. The Lurker should not be able to move while burrowed.

OK this idea just striked my brain just then, not exactly a super unit for the zerg but almost there. Similar to Lurker, but the linear attack goes in all direction. So it forms a circular area around a lurker where the all the enemy units will be attack at the same time. It might be overpowering, but it's good as a defense unit

10. Ishe

Ishe New Member

Im pretty sure i read some where blizzard said they wouldnt be doing this...

11. Ghost

Ghost New Member

They're not. I always thought of lurkers as the "zerg siege tank", so if you allow lurkers to move underground you might aswell let siege tanks move while in siege mode and/or let the reaver fire without the need of scarabs.

12. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

they already have that in DotA

Leviathan anyone?

13. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    the only upgrade i'd ever want on a lurker would be an additional armor, but otherwise they are absolutely perfect in every way. more importantly that you need to look at is how their spines will affect the colossus, soul hunter and some of the other new toss units. the stalker in particular has an advantage that it can run from a lurker attack range incredibly quickly. that's annoying!
    If these toss units have such significant mobility advantages, the zerg should be able to counter that.

one thing is for sure. if they get rid of the lurker, i will be fing livid

14. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I'd like them to get rid of the lurker, but just cuz i dont play zerg xD

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

The lurker was such a cool unit. I'd be pretty pissed it they take it out. They should beef up the lurker, becuase it seems like it'll be quite useless in SC2 because of the zealot/rine upgrades and the immortals hardened sheilds.

16. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Now I dont want to say the lurker is a dumb idea but its extremely unrealistic. At least they could give a slight description of how it shoots spikes like that. (i always thought it just stuck its tail up out of the ground and it was lined with spikes.

17. opm

opm New Member

NYC

"should i really bother?" is the question I asked when I read this.

seriously, you play a game, where you have races of lizard people and some weird aliens that all have flying ships that just hover over the ground, that gain sustenance from a green gas and blue rocks. let's put this question in perspective of the entire game please.

18. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

why not allow lurkers move underground at the same time you can see them actually moving (crack and uplifting of ground or terrain.) its the same as seeing lurkers on the move above. not imba right? anyway to make sure that the lurkers will not permanently stay underground the whole game(if assuming they can move underground), just make the lurkers move slowly underground and ultra fast above. by the way when lurkers moves underground they are not attackable unless there is an observer etc. but at least you can see them moving underground even without an observer.

19. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

How does a Lurker attack? How does a Protoss eat? Why are all nameless (and a few named) the marines in the Terran Army criminals?

Lurkers. I say we stop thinking in terms of Starcraft and Broodwar. I say we keep the core units of each race and make new ones.

Lurkers should be made obsolete if a new unit can do the same thing but different. I do not want a CLONE game of broodwar with upgraded graphics I want a differnt game. I want to know that the same strategies in BW or SC1 will be harder or different to do in SC2. Rushes, maybe... but I would love units that give each race a different feeling. No doubt, the lurkers gave the zerg that feel. No doubt zergs lack true cloaks. However, how many races could boast moveable drops ships that also acted as detection units (and, of course, supply). A zerg drop guarenteed the zerg had detection with the drop. Sure the terrans got comsats and the protoss have observers. However, there is no limit (in SC1 and BW) to the number of overlords you can produce. With enough minerals you can literally populate the entire map with overlords. What is the point of this post?

Forget what we know about SC1 and BW. Kill off good units and bad units. Make better and different units. Give the insect, organic feel, oddness of the zerg to make of the units.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^ i did not understand some of the point your trying to say. however this are some i understand

and i agree. more NEW units please! so that we will have NEW feel of excitement for the next 10 years. ^^

i think reaver should be change (model and name) to something else with the same ability. i think old units that is oviously not cool or exciting in starcraft 2 should be axe even though they are valuable in gameplay. so for me bye bye to reaver, queen, valkerye, ultralisk(<-just make this behemoth EXTRA COOL in sc2), defiler, devourer, and guardian etc. well unless blizz will do something dramatically new about them or else they would be boring in starcraft 2. only the reaver is revealed and i think its the most boring unit in starcraft 2 so far (the look and feel not the importance in gameplay) so i hope they remove it.