Locus - EMR's First Map

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Maps, Replays, Modding' started by EatMeReturns, Apr 26, 2010.

Locus - EMR's First Map

1. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Locus
    1v1 - 96x96 - Melee

http://scrisk.webs.com/LocusMultiplayer.SC2Map - For two human players.
    http://scrisk.webs.com/LocusSingleplayer.SC2Map - For one human player and one computer player.

[​IMG]

Description:
    Little room to build outside of the main base. Directly outside of the main base entrance lies a capably defended natural expansion. The only other resources lie in the center of the map in the form of a rich resource area. This area, while consisting of the basic eight mineral nodes and two vespene geysers, is divided evenly by line-of-sight curtains. This means that each player may gather on each side of the resources. Vision across the curtain can be attained with both air units or control over the two Xel'Naga towers that lie on a lower ground level to the sides, also protected by line-of-sight curtains. Little movement is capable between each half of the center area unless two destructables are removed by either player, each opening a curtained gap in the resource line. The map has basic diagonal symmetry.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Aw... care to post a preview of it? The format Imagine uses works rather well.

3. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Alright, I'll have that after school today. Some known issues:
    -After load, completely black minimap without any starting units (this only happened once to one tester, who only tried it once).
    -Pathing accessible on sides of ramp (I'm a probe and I can jump ramp sides!!! Lololol!)
    -Curtain around northeast Xel'Naga Tower does not completely surround the area.

Edit: Pathing and curtain have been fixed, and image preview is now available in the main post. The map requires more testing for the first issue (100% fog of war).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I think it needs more expos since the players can only secure 2 and have to fight for the third gold expo... not enough minerals, unless you plan to add more patches for each base.

You could also add a back door for some harassment in late game. Just my opinions.

5. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Hmmm. I could probably slide the natural expos to the corners near the cliff drop offs, then add a second mineral expansion in the top left/bottom right corners of the map. There's very little space for a backdoor however. I could extend the land to make a ramp that leads straight up to the main base from the siide closest to the cliff drop offs, I guess...

6. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Or two island expos in the corners.
    I think one would be able to fit in each corner.

7. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    That would work. Except I would probably make a land bridge to the island expos, since there's already a massive focus on air.

8. Glaurung

Glaurung New Member

Your base.
    This map seems like it largely favors Protoss and I don't need to explain how.

9. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I would like it if you did explain how. I only want to make it better.

10. IronyNinja

IronyNinja New Member

I think the map is good how it is, without additional resources. It adds excitement when you HAVE to kill the enemy in a certain period before you run out of resources, and it will make fighting over the third expansion that much more hectic, since it's the only other option.

11. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    That was my original purpose for limiting the resources, except i don't want it to encourage players to simply rush every time they play on this map.

12. oneil

oneil New Member

Ottawa, Canada
    I can see this being a very quick zerg rush map as the ramps appear bigger than normal (a la twilight fortress).

Suggestions:
    - Use smaller ramps to encourage wall-ins (on such a small map, encourage late game strategies)
    - Make the starting bases less geometric. Everything seems very square, symmetrical yes but man-made
    - Adding islands in the corner s with a long wide bridge would make for interesting gameplay. Consider moving gold expos to the corners?
    - How big is this map? Perhaps making it excessively large will put more emphasis on strategic play vs. rushing
    - The wall directly in front of the main ramp should have a breakable rock where it meets the main's cliff. This would allow a second way in/out without concentrating ground forces at the one choke

Very nice use of the vertical terrain for those huge drop offs, looks really daunting :)

Last edited: May 21, 2010