Lockdown- A Replacement?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by AlphaCentarui1, Jan 17, 2010.

Lockdown- A Replacement?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by AlphaCentarui1, Jan 17, 2010.

1. AlphaCentarui1

AlphaCentarui1 New Member

While I was picking a splinter out of my thumb...
    I though of a new idea for an ability related to lockdown:

Terran: EDM (Electron Delocalization Misslie)

Research: 200 Ore / 200 Gas / ~140 Secs / Late-Game
    (Research costs are about the same as EMP Shockwave in SC1)

Cost: 175-225 Energy
    (I Don't want this ability to be spammable)

Effect: Short-Ranged. Fires a slow-traveling misslie that disables ground mechanical units within a medium-sized radius for about 6 seconds. It affects enemy, ally, and your own units. Ability belongs to the raven

This would make TvT matches alot more interesting and increase the need for effective micro. Tank pushes now have a reliable counter, further increasing the need to diversify units. Plus, formations become alot more important, as you need to take the EDM's splash radius into consideration.

I don't see a particular use for this in TvZ:eek:

TvP Matches would be alot more cautious, putting pressure on the protoss player-late game. It could act as a reliable counter to stalkers (with prediction). Moreover, the protoss would have to resort to using more hallucinations, faking, etc.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Ex-Marine

Ex-Marine New Member

P.A.
    I like the idea. Very creative. The ability should be given to the nighthawk.

3. AlphaCentarui1

Thanks... maybe "A Replacement" was a bad title for this...
    xD

4. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    not plaussible

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Who or what is firing the missile?

6. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

How's your thumb?

7. AlphaCentarui1

Splinter-free now, thanks.

Why not? Is it too much like SC1's lockdown? Is it too impractical?

Edit: Raven launches this now.

8. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Well I believe its too impracticable as it allows units to be shutdown and out of combat for awhile during a time where it shouldn't be. If you look at it this ability is for the sole use of shutting down units during combat and then reactivating them at a later time. Abilities should for the most part be used to keep the pace of combat flowing, while at the same time, keeping the battles strategic and meaningful.

An ability such as Lockdown was used in the Original to cut off individual units that were providing support or were to cut down key units to attacks. Such as Arbiters, Science Vessels, Shuttles, Dropships, etc, etc.

The ability you describe however not only seeks to Lockdown the key unit, but to knock out all surrounding units. This is similar to the E.M.P. the Science Vessel used in that it you want it to be of high cost so it will not be able to be spammed. However the workaround for such an ability is that you could have multiple of the same unit. Not only would the battle be decisive to whatever side used this ability, it would be slow. 22 Seconds of Lockdown are possible from two full upgraded vessels containing this ability. That is why I think this ability wouldn't work out in the end. It would not only slow down combat, make the game less strategic and more of a tech race than it already is, but it would just make it boring.

I still stand by my position after having given some thought that the abilities in the game right now are near perfect. (After seeing the Mothership I have a sense of it being vastly overpowered.) Adding more abilities might be fun, but not practical. Besides with the editor I see the potential of making your own abilities. So although I might sound a little harsh, I would wait for the joyous day the editor is available. Then you can make whatever ability you want and try it out.

Small Addition: There are more reasons for this ability not to be practical, but I decided one reason would be enough. Mainly the one I described.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    How is this ability less practical than the Arbiter's Stasis Field? This new Raven ability would work in the same way, except units would be non-functional for a shorter amount of time, it only works on mechanical (possibly only land) units, and as a trade off you can still attacks those impaired units.

I think this is a good idea that would definitely make TvT more interesting =)

10. AlphaCentarui1

@Shdwy

No offense taken, only consideration. Perhaps lowering the actual duration of the ability would balance it out alot better, plus, I've also added 40 seconds to research time to make it less uber... and yes, I am anticipating the editor's epicness too. :cool:

@Alasdair

I agree extensively with the fact that this ability should only affect ground units, as locking down fleets + BC missile barrage seems like an extremely pwerful combo now. Plus the downgrade of the spell's duration along with its high cost and inaccuracy would make this more practical in terms of tactical combat and micro.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010