Level 2 Nukes

Discussion in 'Terran' started by CannonFodder, Apr 4, 2008.

Level 2 Nukes

Discussion in 'Terran' started by CannonFodder, Apr 4, 2008.

1. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    This is somewhat random but I thought of this idea in post and i think there should be an upgrade for nuke damage. If BLIZZARD did this then nuke could become available sooner and cheaper, and still be useful late in the game. Im thinking there could be a tier upgrade that would add 35-50% more damage.

Just give me some feed back on this idea

2. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I think this could be good. I haven't used the nuke for long, only against the computer. It didn't worth the expense. but with an upgrade it could be nice. At the first time with low damage low radius, and than.. BANG :)

3. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    Ahh.....the new site, i smell fresh microprocessors and new ideas are in abundance.

Anyway Hunter that would be cool, your opponent would be expect a miny nuke and then [size=+3]BOOM[/size]

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Sounds like a good idea to me. Weaken the first one a bit, then with the upgrade, add a larger damage radius, more damage, and a freaking irridation effect. It's a nuke!! They have radiation!!

/rant

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    irradiation huh? nice idea, but the Zerg would be screwed, so maybe it should affect any units, including your own units, and mechanical units too.

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Not the way I presented it all those months ago. Oh well.

7. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

How about a cool animation to the nuke. Ya know, where after the nuke explodes you hear this WOOOOSSHHH!!!!, then a SWOOOSSHHH!!!! Then a circle thin cloud thing that expands out of the center... then when is dissipates... KABOOOOMMM!!!!! Yes, let's let our imaginations run wild =P.

Oh btw, good idea

8. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Oh no it did break my screen :D Yes there could be a huge animation but it would make microing impossible for a while. But whatever.. who wants to micro in the zne where a nuke exploded? :D

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I dont think there should be a massive irridation, but instead no supply buildings could be build in the area due to lasting radiation.

10. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

i agree with cannonfodder. in real life, nukes have like an emp ability right? like it shuts down the electricity from a huge blast radius? ive been thinking about the same idea as well. because in sc, a single nuke does not destroy primary structures with full hp. it can only take out half of its health. so my idea is, maybe after detonating a nuke in an enemy base, it should be able to halt all unit building structures in a specific amount of time. structure would not be able to create units until it resumes power. or all productions and upgrades are paused. something like that. basically the same idea as cannonfodder.

also, speaking of animation. i would love to see a flash go off the entire map. like when it detonates, where ever your screen is at, you'll see a flash. like in generals. though in generals, if your screen is far from the target area, you no longer get to see the flash right? i hope that in sc2, if ever they would give the nuke a flash visual effect, i hope it consumes the entire map. it'd be very cool and gives us a much more realistic nuke feel to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    While I don't mind the OPs idea so much here is my generic response to everyone who wnats nukes to be realistic. Ok, fine you can have your nukes that can destroy entire bases and be realisitic, in exchange the Protoss also get to have there units follow the lore meaning their Motherships can incinerate entire planets. Sounds fair right?

12. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

hahahaha. well, these are just ideas. because in sc1, nukes are rarely used right? so i guess all we're saying here is for billzard to give us a reason why nuke drops should become an important strategy to any terran player in sc2. im not saying that its not important in sc1, but we all know that nukes in sc (both 1 and 2) can be evaded, and be prevented, and any enemy player that sees a nuke being pointed at his or her base will just simply move his/her units away from the blast site and not worry too much because we all know that sc1 nukes can only take out half of a primary buildings hp.

as for protoss? well, i think protoss has had the best improvement in the game so far. in terms of abilities and units. protoss was given a lot of cool skills such as psionic storms, vortex, time bomb, void, motherships being able to act as arbitters and give additional stats to nearby friendly units, phase cannons which can transfer from one point to another, protoss default ability to teleport anywhere as long as there is energy, protoss is getting scary in sc2. as for terrans, there's not much going on with the terrans as of now. well, not as much and not as good as what went with the protoss.

13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    @LordKerwyn
    when you put it that way I guess nukes shouldn't turn a large area into ground zero, put I do think that the nukes need to do more power. Like leealvin1984 said nukes can be evaded or stopped if the ghost is found. So to compensate they should a little more damage than there cost.
    Did that sentence make sense?

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I agree the Protoss have improved quite a bit from the previous game atleast by comparisson to the Terrans. I also agree that something should probably be done with the nuke to make it a little more viable (Maybe the of cruise missilse that have a much smaller bast radius?). The point of my earlier post was to say don't ask for somethig to be realistic or realistic according to the lore unless your willing to make everything that way.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Great idea. Tiered power levels might help the nuke become a more feasible option earlier in the game(or at all, actually).

I'm all for added EMP and/or irradiate effects on a fully upgraded nuke.

16. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i would liek the idea of emp and irradiation effects for the area after words. like a real nuke, the blast would shut down all electrons, maybe locking down all mechanical units in the area, and the radiation would slowly kill those in its wake

17. SuccaMC

SuccaMC New Member

Death Star
    If they modeled nukes after real life nukes then nukes would destroy the entire mao and then some.

18. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

well, balance wise, i think the irradiate effect is a bit to strong against the zerg. and as for the emp idea, i think its cool. i hope blizzard would be able to implement such effect. of course, in a balanced manner. that would make terran players use nukes at all times or if not, most of the time. hit the enemy base with a nuke first, disabling all productions in its blast radius for a specific time period, then you go in and do shit.

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    How about something like:

Level 1 Nuke
    - 250~300 damage over an 6x6~8x8 area (full damage over the inner half of the area, reduced damage beyond that)

Level 2 Nuke
    - 500 damage over an 8x8 area (full damage over 4x4, reduced damage beyond that)
    - damage applies to HP directly (at least 50%)
    - Irradiate anything including Zerg buildings for a short duration over a 10x10 area
    - EMP over a 12x12 area

At first glance, the Level 2 Nuke may seem very overpowered. However do keep in mind that this is the nuke that people never used back in SC1. You will seldom pull it off against anyone good. Also, the only unit that could survive a direct nuclear strike was the Terran BC(now, perhaps also the Thor and Toss MS, not sure about SC2 stats), so no Zerg unit would survive the blast anyway. Irradiate would only, for the most part, serve to deal some addition DoT on effected Zerg buildings over a short period of time, and perhaps deal some indirect damage to units that venture close to the effected Zerg buildings.

20. SuccaMC

SuccaMC New Member

Death Star
    Heck lets make 3 tiers of nukes, not just 2.