Larva Suggestion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by CATCAT, Mar 29, 2009.

Larva Suggestion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by CATCAT, Mar 29, 2009.

1. CATCAT

CATCAT Guest

I dont like the Spawn Larva ability it just does not feel ˝zergish˝ my idea is that hatchery should have 3 larvas a lair 4 and hive 5. I think it would be much better mechanic because then players would choose between building a lot of hatcheries or fewer but upgrading them to hives both tactics would make the big difference between play styles because zerg player could then choose between having 5 hatcheries each having 1250hp producing 15 larvae or having 3 hives each having 2500hp producing 15 larvae.
    So if you are more offensive player you would not care about your hatcheries hp and build a lot of them but if you like more defensive style of gaming you would upgrade them to hives.
    Players would also then upgrade their expansion that was rarely done in broodwar because it didnt offer anything except hp, now with additional larvae would be more preferable.

what do you guys think??

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    First of all: it would be nice if you said what the subject of the discussion is in your topic title and place it on the zerg board. Just a suggestion.
    About your suggestion: in the insect world, the sole purpose of a queen is to create offspring. There is nothing weird or wrong about the spawn larva ability, hell, it is perhaps the only realistic ability in the game.

Having a giant, pulsating structure creating larva is weird. About the increased larva number: that is exactly what spawn larva does. Further, the further you upgrade your hatchery, the faster it produces larva iirc. This is the same as having more larva and helps keeping balance and prevents cluttering on the screen from to many larva.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    No one would upgrade the hatcheries really, because building stationary defense is always wrong, and a Zerg needs all the gas he can get for units/upgrades.

4. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Spawn Larva makes perfect sense. The Queen's ichor causes the Hatchery to produce several Larva at the same time. Besides, her 200 minerals 100 gas cost makes her a mini-Hatchery.

-Psi

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

your statement is flat out bad. first no one wants to upgrade multiple hatcherys.

next the larva ability is to help out zerg production speed early in the game. do u know how long it would take to get 2 lairs up and running just for only 4 larva per lair? thats silly.

terrens have the reactor and will double up on marines and plow you over if u try and do a double hatchery let alot double lair...

protoss will down u as well, given by the time u reach 2 lairs they will probable have warpgates and there will be a time reduction up on there units being made. So terrans and protoss are still going to out speed you by a lot and this will cause u to lose.

i'm getting the feeling you havent played this game enough.

and why would anyone have to upgrade there hatchery at an expansion??
    so if that expansion gets wiped out then what? u wasted time upgrading to a hive only for it to die. Not only that this still does not fix the speed issue. if u have multiple queens and u spawn larva and all ur hatcherys after you have already built units its would be better to get a larva from the queen then wait for ONE larva to pop out. your wasting ALOT of time. time that the other races have found a way to cut down on.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You can only have one queen at a time, try to keep up.

7. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    You may have multiple Queens for 200 minerals 100 gas 2 supply, unique Queen was scrapped way back.

The Mothership is the only 1 at a time unit in the entire game, as stated by Cavez.

-Psi

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    *facepalm* --that one came right back at me--
    I thought it was still unique in campaign. Whatever, one queen should be enough for the spawn larva anyway. With about 3 queens using it, you would indeed be able to produce a lot of larva, but I think you would probably lack the recources to keep morphing them in such numbers most of the time.

9. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Hmm, she could use Spawn Larva up to 8 times with 200 energy, each costing 25 energy. Though, 1 Hatchery undergoing Spawn Larva cannot be targeted until the Larvae have spawned, so she could do it to 8 Hatcheries on full energy, otherwise she and the two others (assuming you have 3) have to wait on 1 Hatchery per cast.

She should have something else to do other than Spawn Larva and Creep Tumor. Razor Plague does not make her useful without enemy raiding... she'll just sit at base seeing no action. I say Razor Plague to be scrapped while we come up with a third ability for Queen, that makes her useful at all times.

Another macro involved ability would make her the perfect pure macro/defense unit.

EDIT: I've got an idea! What if the third ability temporarily mutate a single Drone into a special defense unit? Queen targets a Drone, uses 50 energy, and mutates it into a warrior unit in 5 seconds?

-Psi

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Then it would be better if she could upgrade units that already are supposed to fight. Morphing hydraliks into hunter killers for example. Or just bring the broodlings back, but a lot stronger and directly from the queen, with a limit similar to vulture spidermines.

And what happened to deep tunnel? She could use that to switch between hatcheries when spawning larva all over the place until some english girly voice says: you need more overlords you stupid twat. -still no clue about who is the zerg announcer, would be lame if it was kerrigan, please say she is not-

11. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Since the Queen is no longer unique, she does not require the power to travel between bases because she is not the only defender now. You can produce Queens from any Hatchery, but making a lot of her is a bad thing because of her cost.

The Mothership got Deep Tunnel now, in the form of Teleport. She can teleport to any Protoss building.

Oh and about the idea, I was just thinking about making this mutation from a Drone, into a brand new unit. Hunter Killers and Devouring Ones are kinda... old if you get what I mean. We can turn this into a cliff-climber unit, since it is not mass producible, and possibly allow it to gather resources on the go, as a permanent unit (changed my mind :p).

Imagine, a few of these things coming down to your base chomping minerals away~

-Psi

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    People seem to like them, and good that you left the super ultralik out of it. MarineCorp would whoop your ass. :p

Anyway, I like the idea, but it seems a bit to complex. Maybe some temporary harden ability for drones? When they get attacked, they will stay still and get extra armor untill they either die, or you decide to flee if there is no chance of waiting for help. The other workers got something extra, why not the drones as well?

13. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    It's not that complex when we lay things out :p

List for idea:

1) Target Drone with Queen, transforms it into a new unit for 50 energy permanently.
    2) Possible abilities: Cliff-climb, increased carapace (+2? Armored, Biological)
    3) Concept: A unit that can chase Reapers that come in for raiding, or do surprise attacks.
    4) Maybe even gains the 30% speed on creep bonus, since it turns into a new ground unit...

-Psi

14. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

why dont they give her a 4th ability to make up for the lack of razor swarm.

give here a temporary flight. 15 energy to fly 1 energy to maintain flight?

how does that sound?? and if she loses energy over an unlandable spot she dies..... :D

15. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Sounds kinda cool, but we already have Nydus Worms and the Overlord can transport again. I would only use this as a last resort, not all the time, especially since the queen has plenty ways of defending herself.

@PsiWarp I assume that the attack would be based on the standard, sort of, attack they have? That would be a total comeback of corrosive breath, -devourer- slowing the unit down to turn it from raiding predator to helpless prey. :D

16. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Lol I'd imagine it looking like a Defiler XD

It loses the abilities of a worker to gain attack capabilities, can climb cliffs and then... how would it contribute to macro?

-Psi

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    It wouldn't, since it's just a crazy idea we came up with in about an hour. XD
    But seriously, it would be on timed life, since the changes in the body happen so fast that it damages their internal organs or something. If they would be permanent, then you would just mass drones very cheap and turn them into excellent fighters for free. Sounds slightly -read: really- overpowered to me.

18. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Hmm you are correct, lets just stick to not having cliff climb and not permanent :p

I hope the idea's not too similar to WC3 Human's Militia (which it kinda is similar, though the similarity ended at a unit turning a unit into another unit).

-Psi

19. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ok for all you who don"t get the move its to increase unit creation synergy so when you have used all 3 larva you can pop the ability to create more larva so you can make units much quicker.

Example
    you have 3 larva
    you make 3 drones
    pop the ability
    4 more larva
    create 4 drones
    pop the ability again if needed
    thats = 7+ eggs on the field for drones or other units
    you can keep doing it as long as your queen has energy and the hive / lair / hatchery still produces as long as you have 3 or less and you can also use this ability when you already have 3+ out.

current moves she has
    razor swarm
    burrow
    larva spawn
    create tumors

she does 6 x 2 damage and she can attack air and ground units and she has 250 health.

She is purely a economy unit with some defense thrown in.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009