Larva Egg Morphing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

Larva Egg Morphing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

We all know that the larva morphs to other units right? and in SC1, we see that whenever the egg forms to morph into other units, the egg size was always the same size no matter if it was an ultralisk or a zergling. to make it more realistic-like, how about blizzard add the effects and size differences that progresses onward in the morphing progress like when the larva morphs, it starts out small but grows in size as it nears its hatching to an ultralisk.

so basically, show animation of progress of hatching by showing its growth in size like morphing to an ultralisk, you see it growing to a certain size and you will also know when the units ready to use as well instead of just clicking on it to find out.

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    A good player knows when a unit is almost ready and will not even take the effort to check the morphing progress. With that being said, it would be nice to have some visual indication on what egg is becoming what unit, especially since everything is produced at the same building. However, different egg sizes might cause problems like eggs growing into a building if the larva starts morphing too close to a building.

3. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

well it just seems kinda odd to see a very small egg hatching into a gigantic ultralisk... just seems a bit weird

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That is true. I do not think that anyone will disagree with you on that, but the old animation already had a slight growing animation in it. When the unit was almost done the egg started to swell up a little. I just think that there should be some kind of visual indication of what is inside an egg. Eggs just do not all the same for all animals. Also, you will know which egg of your opponent to shoot first if you can easily see what is inside of them.

5. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

agreed, but also, each of the building morphs are all the same and when i looked at the zerg building morph, i saw that they went from cocoon stage to just the structure, there isn't any of that cool looking animation that shows the structure rising from the cocoon, it just blinks and the structure appears....

i also didn't realize that there was an animation of the growth of the egg either... this would be interesting if it actually got bigger near the almost complete stages

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I agree with you, gtx. Blizz should add the growing egg animation.

7. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    BUT! not too much animation...a decent amount is good..but too much will make it too realistic.

8. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

it's just a place-holder i guess,now their main object is a full-developed Zerg army to test

9. Babmer

Babmer Guest

idd most things like the transition animations are placeholder atm, its not like blizz to slack on animations ;D so i wouldnt worry about it.. Idd most of the zerg death animations... effects etc are not even done yet.. (check hydra). Cant wait for what its all gonna look like around release

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

10. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

dont you think players who make a crap load of ultralisks would have trouble laying... the eng would grow too huge inside your base if it was to grow to full size... instead, i think that they should grow it only slightly so it seems like all the creatures were balled up inside... i also think air units eggs should like float right before they hatch... ^_^ lol

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

While realism is all well and good, think about this. When you see a building animation for Protoss or Terran, all you know is that they are building something. You don't know what it is, and therefore can't prepare in advance for what is coming.

If Zerg got a visual indication, it'd actually create a small disadvantage. An enemy player could see that you were building an Ultralisk for instance, and plan accordingly.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Indeed. But you could probably guess what they're building if you look at what they're able to build, then analyze the situation.
    e.g. Zealots rushing a Zerg base, and he has a Spire. Undoubtedly the Zerg player is making Mutalisks.

13. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    You could guess, but you wouldn't actually know. The difference can end up being pretty extreme. Also, if you can tell what is being built, enemies can chose to focus on specific eggs when before they would have to take out all of them if they wanted to make sure thy were killing the unit you were building that was "right" for the situation.

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I don't mind having a visual indication as long as it only shows progress and even then only a subtle change or only visible to the player.

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

the eggs should stay the same weather its a ultralisk or a zergling, dose the size of the the warp rift in a gateway change when a zealot or immortal are coming, dose the barracks flash different colors when units are coming out. NO so eggs need to remain the normal size.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think that all eggs instead should have a medium size, a little bigger than the current one.
    That way it won't look so freaky when the new, even bigger Ultralisk pops out.

17. Gforce

Gforce New Member

i think the animation should stay the same, like it was in the first.

18. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I like GMG's idea. Make them medium-sized. Every unit that emerges from an egg is bigger than the egg itself, why not make the size ratio a little more reasonable?

This will also make it easier to tell that a Zerg base is indeed in the middle of producing stuff, and more attractive to invaders to actually go for eggs, simply because they're more noticeable.

The problem might be, though, that they'll end up getting in the way even more... since as far as I'm aware, only workers can hover over morphing eggs. To reduce the annoyance associated with this, Blizzard might make all eggs passable, but implement a "push" system similar to that used with air units. That way, eggs will be hindrances, but not outright barriers.

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think we again should look at these two thing:
    Reality - Spacetaking
    Thats the same question you have when you are working with effects like explosion´s etc.!
    So a medium sized is probaly the solution, but how big is medium? Same as a baneling or?

20. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

wow... interesting, the thread still went on, anyways... yea, from what i read, medium size is good. or at least every egg should be medium sized and have the ultralisk's egg grow larger after that right before hatching and have it do a cool animation from the hatching.

*man, i hella want a zergling and baneling pet thing... oh well*