Laptop question

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Gardian_Defender, Jan 17, 2010.

Laptop question

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Ok so I was thinking about getting a laptop, so this laptop would be used as mostly a gamin computer. (high power use from online RPGs. An maybe some homework)

But I noticed that a couple of computers around 100 bucks or so apart (350 and 450) and the only real big difference was the battery.

They used a lithium-battery and one was a 4 cell and the other 6 cell (6 cell was the cheaper one)

so my question is more cells better then a smaller amount of cells?
    And since this computer will most likely be used a lot and running stuff that would require a lot of energy (like online games) should I get the more celled battery so that i will not eat up my battery and end up charging it all the time (that's probly another factor in choosing one also)

Here is the computers I was thinking of

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Laptop-...ps/pcmcat196200050013.c?id=pcmcat196200050013

Make sure the little tab thing is set to lowest price to highest and it's the first two.

Thanks in advance-**

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

More cells=More life.

The hundred dollar difference comes from the fact that the 350 one is a single core processor. No good.

3 GB of RAM. No good.

Acer (aside from netbooks). No good.

Best Buy. NO GOOD

3. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    What about mac?

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Macs are great computers, but not so much on the gaming side. You could use BootCamp, and run Win7, but...Just get a PC if you're gonna do that. Macs are awesome if you're using Photoshop or a video editing program heavily. Heavily meaning it's your field of work, not pasting Leonidus's head on your buddy.

I personally lean towards Toshiba and Dell. You're gonna want a dual core processor, either 2 or 4GB of RAM (3's no good because it's mismatched RAM, a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick; you'd prolly run better on two 1GB sticks). Acer makes outsandingly awesome netbooks, but their standard laptops are....lacking. And BestBuy is just an overpriced behemoth with abso-effin-lutely terrible customer service.

I recommend online retailers, like Newegg or TigerDirect. However, there is something to be said for going to the manufacturer's webpage. I bought mine from the Dell site, put it on a Visa, and because of that, Visa doubled my warranty for free.

5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    So look into a computer from Dell or acer (I have heard good things from acer)
    and make sure it has like 2-4 GB ram and Dual core prosesor.

One last question, if Ima play sc and sc2 a lot should I get a mac or pc then?

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

*Cough*

7. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
  8. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I'm sure any good computer you buy be it Apple or alienware, as long as it has a good graphics card on it will play SC2 well. I'm sure Blizzard will make sure of this. And for SC1. Anything built in the 21st century will be ok. Just remember for OS X you need the OS X installers.

And to Fenix. The Macintosh can play games very well. Be it in OS X or bootcamp or crossover. They can play almost everything. The only catch is for a gaming only computer the alienware would be much cheaper and do basically the same thing. Allow the games you want to be played.

9. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

What I meant was this: Not all games are available in the OSX flavour, and if you're going to get a laptop for gaming, and rock bootcamp, just get a PC.

If he's a Graphic Design student or whatnot, by all means, get a Mac with Bootcamp.

10. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Well that makes sense and that's what I was trying to say too :)/