"Juggernaut" Design

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Oct 28, 2007.

"Juggernaut" Design

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Nate suggested that the Thor would have a melee attack, and that's when i got this idea.

I like to call it the Juggernaut. It has two canons in/on its shoulders that act almost like the Thors canons, perhaps a little weaker, since the Juggernauts real purpose is to fight in close combat. The cannons might be used as the artillery ability that the Thor has, but this one at closer range.

This lumbering metal beast would still have the slow turning speed of the Thor, but its speed when moving straight forward is a little faster. It has to accelerate a little bit, just like a high Templar in SC. When attacking in melee, it swings its huge arms, dealing splash damage in 45-90 degrees.

It is a little smaller than the Thor and can therefore fit in a Dropship, but it takes up all slots.
    Hp is between 500 and 800. Base armor is 3-5.

Also, it has a special ability that can be used per cooldown.
    I simply call it "charge" for now.
    You select an enemy unit that is close to your Juggernaut(and in a straight line of it) and the Juggernaut charges there at 25-50% extra speed, and upon contact with the selected enemy target, it deals 100-200 damage.

Feel free to add your own ideas if you want.

(i also made a Mobile Bunker lol. )

Bonus 800 minerals for a New Thread of Extreme Interest

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!!

But yeah, sounds good. I like the Terran to have a mix of melee(ish), medium, and OMGWTF range attackers. It gives them a uniqueness.

3. headstock

headstock New Member

it looks kewl but i dont really like the concept... the terrans have guns mate...

imagine if todays top tanks were suddenly given a melee attack instead of a cannon.. its kinda pointless..

Why would you create a mechanical unit like that, that attacks by melee, when you could chuck a few rocket launchers for real damage and effect, and machine guns that can handle close quaters stuff anyway.

the mobile bunker i like the concept of, its what ive been really pushing for the thor to become, have a geeze ive mentioned my idea a couple times in the thor poll thread or one of those threads i think

sorry dude just not keen on the idea.. its awesome you went to the trouble of drawin up images though they're pretty kewl

4. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

It looks like too much like a dragoon

5. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Heavyarms is right. It really looks like a dragoon. And I don´t really like the idea of a real melee unit for terrans (except the scv). I think the terrans should be ok without melee, just to make the races more unique. Anyway, awesome work making those pictures. Keep up the good work ;).

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Nice design! I really like it. The unit itself isn't that great though. It's just kinda weird to have a melee unit for the Terran, they rely on guns and cannons. It's part of their uniqueness. :-\

But when it wouldn't have any attack at all and you could put units inside, that would be way cooler. That would be the ultimate mobile bunker. Since the Juggernout is way stronger then a bunker and the units inside would be heigher than in a bunker to. This would giver them an increased range. (of course this would't apply to the firebat)

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's a great drawing of your idea, but I actually like the Thor as it is now. Also, I agree with most when they say that Terran should have guns. The Terran are a ranged army. Fullstop. They should be focusing on more ways to stay out of melee combat, like garrisoning themselves in Bunkers and by creating a, now retractable, wall of Supply Depots, to stop the enemy marching through. I don't like the concept of a melee Terran units (except the SCV, but it's not supposed to be an offensive unit), and I feel that they should stick to being long ranged. It's what they're good at. I also think that a huge mechanical construct would not be very effective in melee combat, because it would seem too awkward.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Thanks for all the criticism!

It seems like lots of you wants the Thor to be replaced by a mobile bunker, and thats what I have had in mind ever since I saw it, actually. I am gonna post some different designs in a "mobile bunker" thread that I soon will create.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not want the Thor turned into a mobile Bunker. It is fine the way it is, and if it does need to be changed, it shouldn't be completely redone. It should have its weapons or attack style changed slightly to make it a more unique role, that doesn't overlap with other units (not that I think it does in the first place).

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That's treu. But I thought he was talking about a completely new unit, not about a redone Thor? ???

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I thought this was an idea for redoing the Thor, but if it isn't I still believe that it doesn't really suit the Terran, who would focus on powerful ranged attacks over close combat, melee attacks.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It still has its shoulder-cannons.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    But if it already has a ranged attack, why does it need a melee? The melee attack should be replaced with yet another ranged attack, to further show that Terran are extremely developed, ranged fighters.

14. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    i was just wondering if they already made the thor decision final? or still under construction? and is the goliath removed ? i still like the goliath. and nice mobile bunker but the thor would be more awesome and i like the way it is

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Everything is still under construction, and even after the game is released there will be constant patches concerning balance and stuff, so it is far from over. I don't want the Thor to be removed though.

16. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

Good job using Photoshop to create some great interesting art for you concepts.

Great unit.