Jackal -> Hellion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Prefered name for what is currently the Hellion:

1. Hellion

38 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. Jackal

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. I don't know / care

6 vote(s)
    11.1%

Jackal -> Hellion

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Basically, the Jackal got a new name! Here's what Karune said:

The Jackal, now known as the Hellion, only has the flamethrower weapon. In previous versions, there was a railgun hover vehicle, but that will no longer be in multiplayer.

The Hellion is currently one of the best units for "micro" since it is faster than all other units in its tier, and also does splash damage in the form of a line with the flamethrower.

Think Firebat on wheels!

It's a great name that probably will stick, but just like with the Nomad, they made the change just as I started to like the old one. I prefer the flamethrower over the railgun though.

Vote for the name you prefer.

And thanks lurkers_lurk for the find!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Um... you might want to include the source there...
    http://www.sc2pod.com/trackers/blue/starcraft-2/?id=456#1230

I voted hellion. I never liked the jackal because it's unimaginative. I'm not too sure about the weapons though... I don't think swapping the attack of the vulture and firebat was a good idea. If you have a tank of fuel to use in your flamethrower, you don't just whizz around the battlefield.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Hellion is better to me.

Jackal is an animal name and it looks like a vehicle from Halo.

Halo human vehicles use animal names.

So anything to seperate it from that game is good.

Woo Hellion.

4. me555

me555 New Member

They both kinda have the same concept. Like a demonic kind of thing...

5. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    Err... don't the Terran vehicles usually have names from Norse mythology? Not Greek?

Anyways, I think that "Hellion" sounds more like a name for a flying unit
    I prefer Jackal for the ground unit =)

I also think the flamethrower is a great change

EDIT: Was I completely wrong on the Greek mythology thing? My memory's a bit fuzzy right now...

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head

Sweet. I dig Hellion a lot more than Jackal. It's more creative and less overused and cliche.I suppose it fits the character of the actual unit better as well.

7. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Hellion. Hands down. Jackal was a weak name and didn't fit the image.

8. zerodown

zerodown New Member

puerto rico
    I'll vote for the jackal. Somehow Hellion doesn't have that terran attitude, it sounds like an alien planet or something.

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I like the hellion bette and the channge from railgun to flamethrower. Also does anyone know If there is a change to the hellion model or it going to look the same as the jackal?

10. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Yay, I like the new name. It has the word Hell in it. I picture it weirdly in my mind, a vulture like unit with a long flamethrower. I like at Karune's hints with what he says about the railgun not being in multiplayer. Maybe single player?

11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    hellion sounds nice!! And i like the flamethrower on it. Maybe make the animation more smoothly or soemthning and then its PErFeCt!!
    xD

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Haha, poor lurker_lurks. He posts the news, GasMaskGuy turns it into a thread and then Jon turns it into an article.

At the moment, I've honestly got no opinion either way, probably leaning towards Jackal if I force myself to a conclusion, but I can imagine Hellion working so much more for the unit. Weird. I'm just hoping that it gets a remodel along with its name. Warthogs belong in Halo, not StarCraft.

I hope the Hellion doesn't become too micro intensive though, as they're obviously aiming for it to be a very micro intensive unit.

13. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    When Jackal came in the first place I disliked it then got used to it.
    I hea Hellion now and my first impression is : Why not!
    It sounds a lot better, Hell on wheels baby.

14. the8thark

the8thark New Member

I just think this is Blizzards idea to turn the old vulture into something more usable. I know I rarely if ever use the vulture apart from a good scout. Expendable non threatening one though. I like the new name better though. But I'd only want a micro flamethrower on it. Cause then you could have a small propane fuel tank on it so it could be easier. And to me a scout is about speed and discovery than actually killing. The gun is just there so it can get back home in one piece.

I would use it as a scout. But as a speedy tank no thanks. We already have a tank. And it's better at that.

15. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    the8thark: the old Vulture wasn't "just a scout" and neither is the Hellion. It is a fast unit that can outmaneuver slower units, making it a serious force to contend with. In the right hands, Vultures can deal as much damage as Siege Tanks, and push an opponent against the wall. the Hellion is not trying to do more, rather, it is trying to fill the Vulture's rather large shoes while simultaneously taking up Firebat functionality.

the8thark likes this.
  16. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I feel like this IS the vulture replacement, its speedy, so its good to harrass with, just send a few of these to the mineral lines of bases and take out miners.

Its probably going to be a good counter to zealots, zerglings, banelings. I like it

17. Crouse

Crouse New Member

Paw Paw, MI
    While it may be replacing the vulture in the form of speed I doubt it will in other ways. I don't know what the range on the flamethrower is but if it works like the firebat you'll have to get these guys right on the target. That will make the hit and run tactic less effective. I see these guys being effective against the first set of units, marines, zealots, and zerglings, beyond that they will start to lose their effectiveness.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Good call ;). While the Hellion does have some range (I would say probably 6, same as Marine) it does have to get a lot closer to the target than the Vulture did, especially when trying to utilize splash damage.

If the range is 6, that means its splash only goes to a range of 6. So if you're hitting multiple units the closest one is probably almost at melee range.

I did find the Hellion to be pretty useless in Tier 2 but I do expect that to change with balancing. But right on Crouse ;).

19. ekulio

ekulio New Member

To my knowledge only the valkrie and thor have norse names (am I forgetting one?)

Anyway, I don't think it makes any difference atm. The changes are purely asthetic aren't they?

20. UziSuicide

UziSuicide New Member

I don't have a problem with the name change but the Hellion sounds almost more like a name for a protoss unit than a terran one... regardless, it's fine and I think the unit will be just fine, especially if it ultimately can be controlled very similar to the vulture. Vult micro was/still is pretty brutal, although it obviously takes some practice to get real good at it.. so long as you can somewhat hit and run like a vult, I think the flamethrower with some splash damage should work well to mess up some tier 1 units!