Is there a zerg couter for mass mutalisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Apr 10, 2010.

Is there a zerg couter for mass mutalisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Other than hydralisks, no. And usually after the opponent zerg has gathered 50+ mutalisks, they pretty much win, seeing as their hit and run tactics are super effective on expansions. I was thinking of putting the scourge back, except it does splash on air units.... funny how I always thought that they were underpowered before beta, yet turn out to be the most widely used unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biZmu5V_Gdw

2. Mako

Mako New Member

oh god... HD starcraft...
    and you might want to try corruptors next time.

3. asdf

asdf New Member

corruptors are pretty slow. not useful against fast air units like mutas. better for them to face off against BCs and carriers/motherships.

sadly enough, zerg AA is mutas, pretty much. against the other races they do well because they have light armor, unlike all the other air units.

4. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Huskystarcraft you mean.

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Scourges wouldn't have been effective against mutalisks. In fact, splash damage anti-air? That is the mutalisk's job.

Maybe try infestors. Infested terrans and fungal scourge might help. Or not. I'd go for the latter; pin down the mutalisks. The infested terran hatching time is probably a bit too long.

6. Matte

Matte New Member

umm mass mutalisks yourself? :D

7. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    Unfortunately, the best counter for Mutas is more Mutas, at least if you want to be able to leave your base. Counter harassment. I would go Hydras for defending, but unless you guys have the entire map covered in creep, they aren't fast enough anywhere else to avoid getting sniped by Mutas/get back to your base for defense.

8. FFenix

FFenix New Member

in any mirror match up, you counter mobility with mobility. So only way is mutas. In SC1 is was muta scourge, now it's just muta.

9. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    I have been thinking about this, and I doubt it would disrupt their normal balance too much, but perhaps making Corrupters do more base damage, with less bonus damage against capital ships, would make them a more of an effective AA unit. As it stands, they get eaten alive by masses of small air units. In the end they would still fit their role of Anti Capital Ship, but still be effective outside of that, as Carriers and Battle-cruisers are so rarely used. It's almost as if they are the Protoss and Terran equivalent to the Ultralisk.

Keep in mind I may be wrong. I have rarely seen any Capital ships, so I may just be uninformed of their usefulness.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I think I'm going to argue for the Infestor's Fungal to work on light air units as well. It would be a perfect ZvZ counter for Mutalisks since it stuns for 10 seconds while doing 39 damage. Good stuff.

11. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    That would also be an excellent idea. It would give a quicker and easier to get to counter.

It would also combat the whole reason Mutas are so deadly, their ability to dart around the battle.

12. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    as of right now its called Fungal growth (someone called it something else earlier)

and also as of right now Fungal growth does not touch air. it is simply a ground spell, but they could change it to that, but I think that mass hydra, or muta or a mix would be the only possible way to deal with mass muta, but if you only are counting air then its more mutas, and upgrades, same rules apply with sc1, who ever has more upgrades or numbers wins, and then it would come down to any micro that you can think of, (can't think of any other then pinchering the enemy mutas so they have to fight from two sides or flea)

13. Ragels

Ragels New Member

Portland, Or.
    Yeah. Zerg v Zerg is such a annoying mirror. All games end so quickly, and it's usually down to who can get Mutas first, and then a couple tiny micro wars.

14. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    I totally agree with you! xD

15. Aggregate

Aggregate New Member

In this particular case; the non-muta zerg should have build a nydus worm the second he saw those three hydras. It was a good reaction to get the spore crawler up, but all that hesitation really lost the game for him.

If he put a worm to the muta's zerg's main base he could have easily leveled it with all those roaches. At least that would put him at an advantage for a bit while he can mass some hydras and lings (aka cannon fodder) to take out the crawlers on the xpo.

Generally speaking though; all these posts like "are mass banelings stoppable?" are "mass hydras stoppable?" The answer is always yes. In all these cases it's because one side is just waiting around while the aggressive side will mass and win.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  16. BroodOz

BroodOz New Member

Char
    ^ Fungal sounds like a pretty good idea to me too... although I've never tested it before. Corruptors however have staved off muta attacks against me more than once... with a few spore crawlers and hydras for base defense... this allows for your base to largely have auto-defense so your Corruptors can persue. This is assuming you're going up against 10 or so mutas... if someone is able to make and send 50 mutas at you without you knowing about it (and therefore being prepared or preventing it from happening) then I ask: wtf are you doing?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  17. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Guest

Hydras absolutely own mutas... and if you let your opponent get to 50 mutalisks you deserve to lose anyways. As soon as the first 6-10 come around you should just spam hydras, defend your minerals with a few and then immediately counter their base.... mutas dont stand a chance vs mass hydras....

18. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    No, it hits air and has hit air since at least March 2010 (that's when I started playing).

You have to aim it though. Flying units' hit box for AoE purposes is NOT where the unit icon is, but where their SHADOW is. So to properly hit mutalisks with spells like fungal growth or psi-storm you need to land it on their shadows.

Also, fungal growth underwent a semi-recent change from being a projectile to being instant. Thus it was possible to "dodge" fungal growth before that change, making it even harder to hit flying units in motion.

Fungal growth is a very nice anti air supplement (hell, it is very nice period). However, if your opponent has managed to amass 50 mutas against you then I think your gameplay problems stem much deeper than just finding an appropriate unit counter.

19. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    do you mean their shadow or where their line thingy would be on the ground if it were selected?

20. tskarz

tskarz New Member

In bw it was definitely early harass w/ lings, fe and then race to mutas, but in SC2 i've had much more success going roaches off one hatch. even if they do get some mutas on the field while you are attacking, the roaches armor should last long enough to take down his base.