is reaper That usefull

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Jun 17, 2008.

?

how will you harasse workers now

1. Medivac dropship and marines

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Reaper FTW

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  3. Cloked banshee

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. others (nuke, vikings,tanks drop, etc.)

3 vote(s)
    8.1%

is reaper That usefull

Discussion in 'Terran' started by LxMike, Jun 17, 2008.

1. LxMike

LxMike New Member

I mean we lost a lot of money to build merc heaven (require factory) and then train a unit whose only job is to kill workers

i mean what els can the reaper do, it's a weak unit with weak attack. I prefer to use that money to buy upgrade instead and the medivac dropship is just perfect to drop 8 marines instead of 5 marines 3 medics. So what is the reaper used for ?

plus we got soo many others way to harasse works, why create a specific unit to do the job

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    LxMike, how can you say reapers are weak units with weak attack..?!? A siege tank will hit a Shielded Protoss Immortal for just 10 dmg... a Nuclear missile will do the same dmg.. 5 reapers will be able to kill an immortal much faster than siege tanks or nukes...

Also, they are very very fast, and they can use their jump-packs, so they can harras even lonely Ultralisks or ultras+zerglings.. they just get higher ground, while ultras and zerglings won't be able to follow them! And let's not forget the Zerg Queen.. the reapers will be a quite pain is the rear, because if ur queen can't deep tunnel, she alone won't be able to escape 10-15 reapers.. and with queen down, zerg will be significantly weaker.

They (dunno if they still got this for sure) also have the ability to throw little explosives, this way, static aerial defenses can be wiped out so that your air force could come and do their job.

I think they will be very very very fun to play with. One of the best new units added to SC2, along with Zerg Queen which, in my oppinion, is the best idea Blizzard implemented in SC2.

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Also how can you say a Reaper is only useful against workers, the fact that is such a narrow minded statement and the rest of your analysis, it doesn't deserve a full written out reply going over every little mechanic and stuff.

Reapers have great micro potential, Karune even said that a group of well microed Reapers can take out a group of Zealots, and it isn't hard to imagine at all. Not to mention their mines will give you a huge advantage on the battlefield, by displacing forces, forcing them to split, resulting in easily groups for your units to take out. If they don't move then they'll get bombed.
    Reapers are similar to an infantry version of the Vulture, where when they're used tactical with nice micro they were so deadly. Not to mention their ambush capacity being able to jump over cliffs.

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    That won't work. Ultras have crazy armor as we all know, while Reapers have weak, rapid attacks that do bonus damage vs light. Ultras with 600 hp and 3 or 4 armor would not take ANY damage from Reapers. They will most likely be able to do decent damage vs Zerglings though, with their bonus vs light.

Remember that Reapers are unable to shoot or change direction while jumping up/down cliffs. Zerglings are fast and can probably outmicro Reapers. When the Reapers waste time on escaping up on high ground, the Zerg units can either run away and do other stuff (making the Reapers worthless as far as harassing units goes) or they could bluff, so when they see the Reapers jump down again, they run to the foot of the cliff which removes the Reapers range bonus and forces them to die or jump back up.

I can't choose anything from the poll. I'll have to see how the units actually play first, and I'll probably use what's most appropriate instead of blindly favorize one harassing method.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. LxMike

LxMike New Member

the fact is reaper cost a lot, and marines can do what reaper do, So why not just use marines

and what about reaper in late games? btw I can use marines and viking are good as reaper against immortal

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How much do you think the Reaper costs?

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    A Reaper costs 50 minerals and 25 gas for everybodies information, btw.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Exactly.

9. LxMike

LxMike New Member

na, to get the reaper you need to get : barrack, factory, merc heaven, then recruit a reaper (+upgrade for the bomb). that's more then 50/25 i think

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

id like to point out here that reapers do more damage than a marine coz technically those are 2 highpowered handguns.. but mike has a point there optimizing a medivac dropper instead of reapers since a medivac and reaper are almost at the same tier or are they?? anyway getting the medivac with your 8marines is better for harassing workers but the problem there is that they are much harder to pull as you got less chance to escape when the enemies counter are on the go. unlike the reapers they can go fly in and out anytime they want ^_^

11. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I personally plan on using reapers a lot. The micro potential is what I'm looking forward to. Because they can jump up and down cliffs, most melee units will have trouble dealing with, which includes more than just workers. Also, as mentioned above their bombs can take out static defenses that are alone or poorly guarded. while they are a higher tier than the marine, I believe they are worth the time and money due to their harnessing and annoyance factors, which can cause serious trouble for some players. Not only that but they seem perfect for attacking/defending a expansion while the rest of your force deals with the enemies.

12. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Reapers are very useful, thier mines are extremely powerful. They attack very fast and will make quick work of light units, for sure. They can probably be micro'd like champs, moving and attacking so fast. Deffinately going to be crucial vs. early game Zerg. In larger battles, thier mines will also be amazing. They'll be perfect for pushing, cutting units off, cutting off escape routes, etc. Being so fast they could also chase down units, maximizing losses for your enemy.

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

well, i think the reapers main use is attacking units out of the line of sight in midgame, cause you dont have air units yet<
    imagine 5 marines standing on a cliff with no slope nearby, if you pass they attack you and you cant see them,
    then you use your reapers to jump up a cliff, and ta'da you can see em, so all your units can fire at em

14. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    oh yeah tahts right...there that new fog of war system...zzzz

naa man, reapers are pro. Everyone has pretty much said what i wanted to say. They can be microed like crazy.

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

yes reapers are definitely a top choice but im also considering the medivac drop as it also avails you healing and carrying the jackal on mineral lines!!! hah!! thats a top tactic to go with the drops

16. LxMike

LxMike New Member

wait a sec, i just realize that reapers are the best counter for mutalisks. no more mutalisk harasse muhahhaha

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

??? they cant shoot air

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Nope, if they did they'd slightly overlap Marines.

19. LxMike

LxMike New Member

aww that sucks

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

and they would be muta rapers. I would pick them over marines to fight mutas and other light air if they could attack air. Them and ghost.