Is it appropriate to build the Colossus at the same time in-game as old Reavers?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

Is it appropriate to build the Colossus at the same time in-game as old Reavers?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

1. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

I was thinking about what goes on at the Robotics Facility, and I realized that the natural time to be able to build Colossus units, in-game, would likely be immediately after the Robotics Facility is constructed. But, I'm not sure that this is really the best time to ahve this happen.

I argue that a Colossus is a lot more powerful a unit than a Reaver.

1.) The Colossus is fast-moving, the Reaver is solw-moving.
    2.) The Colossus can scale cliffs, but doesn't even appear to need to scale cliffs in order to attack units on a second cliff level.
    3.) #1 and #2, particularly #2, make the Colossus perhaps the most effective base raider in the Protoss fleet (in addition to the Stalkers). Protoss thus have an incredible base-raiding ability, rivaling the Terran Reaper + Banshee choices that I'm still not entirely convinced can be countered effectively enough to eliminate easy wins in melee games.
    4.) The Colossus has a lot of hit points, something like 400 hp and 100 shields, more than twice what the Reaver did.
    5.) Colossus can walk over units, and possibly even over buildings, as Blizzard itself is considering.

One might argue that the Colossus will simply cost more than a Reaver, so it will be OK, but I think extra costs only balance out issues of hit points and overall strength of the unit. The Reaver had a fairly significant cost, and on top of that you had to pay significantly to arm it. The Colossus will not incur any additional armament costs.

So, I think that having the ability to make a Colossus immediately once you reach the second tier of units is a huge advantage for Protoss. Some will say that I sued to be complaining that the Colossus wasn't powerful enough, well I've learned from those replies and now I believe it's a very nice unit "as-is" but it may be available too early.

The problem with changing any of this, is what's going to be available at the Robotics Facility in the first place if not the Colossus. Thus, I think that the Colossus is likely to be the first available unit at the Robotics facility, but again this is not necessarily the best situation.

What if there were another option--as I posted earlier--to be able to produce Observers at the Robotics facility immediately, but only be able to upgrade their sight range and speed once the Observatory had been constructed, at which point a player would also gain the advantage of enemy spell-caster detection (see http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3962.0). Then, there could be a 120-second upgrade at the Cybernetics Core, available only once the Robotics Facility was constructed, necessary for production of Colossus units.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Re: Is it appropriate to build the Colossus at the same time in-game as old Reav

You sound like you haven't seen the protoss tech tree.
    Colossi can only be produced after the Robotics support bay. Phase Prisms can be created as soon as you have the facility up.
    I have no idea what you're getting at. The Colossus can't be produced too early, they're exactly where Reavers are now.

3. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Aha! Sorry about that. I will delete this thread. Thanks for the heads-up. There is apparently a lot of stuff out there that has been nailed down but that I don't yet know about, and doesn't seem to be on the Starcraft II website.