Ion cannon should be operational.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zeratul88, Jul 16, 2008.

Ion cannon should be operational.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zeratul88, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

I don't know about you but the Ion Canon in starcraft would have been bad ass if it would have fired. It should be a high tier unit that can attack any were on the map.

Of course by the time this weapon is operation the battle should have already been over with.

Or at least build it in the map editor.

2. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    two op...

and it should only be antiair...

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

agree.

should be a static base defense. mini death star of the terran. lol

i hope they will have it back in the campaign. maybe a huge tank unit that has it as a weapon.

if blizzard is planing to make a new powerful late game static base defense i could see the ion canon for the terran.

first one to say its protoss like and not terran is an #$$%$%!

4. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

The terran and protoss in my opinion are basically matched technologically anyway, granted the terran don't have warpholes and blackholes. But they do have thors,battlecruisers, nukes, and psi disrupters. ion cannons.

As smart as the protoss are they couldn't come up with a stinking nuclear weapon? We can do now lol?

This mixed with thats guys infantry idea is all the terran nee.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It would have been cool if it was able to shoot every 5th minute or so in the campaign map, but they would probably not shoot on their own space platform with that huge cannon (it might not even be possible, that gun always pointed upwards).
    But it isn't needed for the multiplayer/skirmish. Terran doesn't need a huge late game Ion cannon. Jon said that a Planetary Fortress can hold off 12 Zealots alone. There's your big and powerful (yet not late tier) defense.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

@planetary fortress.

great.

i think the toss is the one that needs to have a new type of stronger base defense. the phase canons dont look good when mass, i suggest an upgrade or another new type powerful static base defense (aoe, powerful single target attack requires 3 pylos fields, floating base defense, etc.).

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    lol actually, you could call the MS a floating base defense. It's slow as hell so you will most of the time keep it in your base so that it doesn't get slowly picked off. Recall si good if you're getting attacked but your forces are far away. And it's Time Bomb is defensive in nature.

8. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States

Actually, the Protoss are far more advanced technologically and mentally than the Terrans. This may not be apparent in the game because it is of course scaled to be balanced and fair so you can have an enjoyable game.

The Protoss have the capabilities to wipe out entire planets at once, so they don't need nukes. They have done this to many zerg invested planets and such in the lore and stacraft story. Their source of energy is far more efficent, powerful, and cleaner and so is their metallurgy.

Just because the Terran and Protoss both have captial ships doesn't mean they are equal technologicaly. The Terran are able to fight against the protoss because they are few in number and lack adapability. Trust me though, their technology and phyiscal selves are far superior to the terrans.

9. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    when you think about i, the protoss is NOT exactly a technological race. It is more of a race that is advanced in a direction that does not parallel our own. We created the atomic bomb through a focus on the molecular structure of materials and were lead into it by certain theories brought up by this new subject. Obviously, the protoss did not take the same direction in technology and instead focused on their own strengths of psi. If the protoss had not had psi powers and their own ideologies, they ma have become an alien race that is congruent with ours. Little points in history lead us to be a nuclear race while little points in history lead the Protoss to be a psi race. If the protoss was a purely tech race, they would not have psi units like the archon.
    The zerg is not technological at all, but just a sped up take on Darwin's beliefs.

P.S. who gets to say who is more techologically advanced??? in one direction, the terran are (physical armor, weaponry, atomic structure, and other gear related technologies.) the protoss take the direction of (energy, shields, lasers, warps) each are the best in their own league, which in the end balances them

10. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

point taken

11. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    I think the Ion cannon would be a cool addition to maps maybe have one in the center of some maps that can be accessed by any race that gains control of that area of the map and then can be fired at a specific location anywhere on the map, now of course this would only be able to be fired like every 5 minutes or so and would probably require a specific tech level so you cant just rush to it and wipe you enemy out right at the beginning.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The Ion Cannon should be used once for the scenario. I think the Terran (I don't know which faction) will have to use this structure against an enemy (I don't know which one too).

It would be wonderful and scary

13. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Yeah, the Terran should have Ion Cannon operate as a super weapon against lagre group of enemies in the campaign. And beside, the Protoss should have the Purification weapon which they used to remove Zerg infestion in Chau Sara and Mar Sara.

14. LxMike

LxMike New Member

I don't agree with putting a superweapon in sc, I don't wanna see another C&C game, because it will change the way sc2 will be played

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^campaign only.

well it could work on multiplayer too, maybe a terran tier 3 static defense.

16. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i have a feeling that blizzard will not include the ion cannon, as it copies MANY ddifferent game of today such as RA2, C&C, and at least 5 others i cant remember the name of. If they do include it, it would be cool if it was like a stronger nuke, but it was only operatonal in ceration areas, like a sqatellite that is orbiting, so you cant attach anywhere, just certain parts of the map that the satellite is passing over at the time

17. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    We all know there's going to be a UMS buildable Ion Cannon in SC2 if there's a model for it.

18. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    Ion Cannon? Wasn't that a super weapon in one of the command and conquers? Or most of the command and conquers...

19. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    SC1, late game Terran Mission, if not the final one.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Final Terran Mission yeah, but the Ion cannon is also USA's super weapon in C&C Generals, that's what he meant.