Intel Integrated HD Graphics - Laptop owners, lets have hope

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by pola0502ds, Jul 19, 2010.

Intel Integrated HD Graphics - Laptop owners, lets have hope

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by pola0502ds, Jul 19, 2010.

1. pola0502ds

pola0502ds Guest

Okay, can someone smarter then me chime in and let us all know what the deal is with the Intel Integrated HD Graphics? Some people say I will be able to play SC2 and others say no. Can anyone that played the beta on this system chime in and let us know just how bad it was if you were actually able to play the game. If i can play the game on my laptop with the graphics being decent i'm not going to go out and build a new computer. 2 weeks ago I just bought this laptop and then a week later I found out SC2 was coming out!

I have a intel I7 2.66, 8mb RAM, windows 7 64, intergrated hd graphics.

I personally can't believe they have not come up with external graphics cards for laptops yet. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

2. Mako

Mako New Member

You could have gotten an ATI or Nvidia card instead of an integrated intel. You probably won't be able to run it (15 FPS on low settings)

3. asdf

asdf New Member

you won't be able to run it. Intel's idea of HD graphics is the ability to play back 1080p video... not render video games.

the top intel chip is probably around half the speed of ATI and nVidia's cheapest low-end chips... which won't run SC2.

10-15FPS on lowest settings would be optimistic on an Intel chip.

also, some companies have experimented with external video cards or laptops with upgradable graphics, but the problem is standardizing a very high-speed port that is capable of transferring all that data to be processed...

4. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Huh... Wasn't expecting this:

5. asdf

asdf New Member

ah, their new CPU-graphics. to be honest i haven't kept up with that side of things. seems like it's at least 50% faster than their best chipset graphics... but still, that would put it on par with my old Radeon 3200 integrated or so, which can also play TF2 at 1680x1050 on medium, and probably 720p on high.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. pola0502ds

pola0502ds Guest

Just called blizzard, waiting on the phone for 45 minutes. They said SC2 will run fine on intel intagrated graphics. For my system anyway.

I don't know who to believe.

7. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Nope. It's 100% faster than their older chipset (G45) and they've only barely caught up with AMD and NVIDIA's IGP offerings. Shows how awful their old chipsets were. Still, most laptops would have limited resolution anyway. Nowadays, it seems like a lot of the lower end laptops come with 1360x768 resolution which makes it easier on the GPU.