Infestor Ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Rebel Head, May 28, 2010.

Infestor Ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Rebel Head, May 28, 2010.

1. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    I think we all agree that the infestor could use some more useful abilities. I came up some infestor abilities myself, although I know blizzard will never use them so they are just for fun. Please comment me back on these.

First off, Instead of frenzy, an ability that makes a clump of zerg units revive only once after being killed within 30 seconds. Call it whatever you want, but I think an ability such as this would provide great support for your units, and especially the ultralisk far better then frenzy ever could. And speaking of ultralisks, this ability could really compensate for the 150 drop in hp alot more than just a measly 20% damage bonus. To balance it I would prevent it from affecting units who were already revived for an extended amount of time. It upsets me that blizzard has really been taking the warcraft approach to some of these new abilities they have been throwing in for the zerg. I always saw the abilities in starcraft as being big, flexible in use, and able to wreak havoc if your enemy isn't careful... not weak single target spells with a percentage boost to unit stats. Also this ability is very "zergy" much so then frenzy. Kind of like how the cerebrates are reincarnated in the starcraft campaign, and how a cerebrate reincarnated that torresque (high stat ultralisk) when you slayed it in that custom campaign (forgot what it was called).

Next, is the rework of the fungal growth ability. This ability I feel is only half decent, but it has potential it hasn't found yet. So my idea for the fungal growth is have it inflict no damage but rather allow it to be used to temporarily remove not only movement, but also attacks, and spell casting from units within a decent sized area for a very brief time -- like 5-8 seconds or something. I seen alot of people missing the defiler for that kickass dark swarm ability, and really who wouldn't? Making the fungal growth in this way could be the support spell the zerg need to compensate the loss for an ability such as dark swarm.

Finally the neural parasite should be reworked once again. I couldn't dream of taking away the ability for zerg to mind control, but really the neural parasite is so half-assed that is hardly worth using. So I propose it not be made into a channeling spell that requires the mind controlled unit to stay in range of the infestor or for the infestor to remain alive like blizzard has chosen. Instead it's a one shot spell that turns an enemy ground unit only into a ticking time bomb that you control. After the unit expires, it explodes dealing 50-70 damage instantly in a fairly big area. If the mind controlled unit is killed before the timer expires then it does not explode. I could see neural parasite or whatever it would be called get more use after this change.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. RHStag

RHStag New Member

Not meaning to flame you, but the ideas are pretty overpowered imo.

3. Arc

Arc New Member

pretty imba bro, i just want dark swarm back, and yes make fungal growth stop attacks as well

4. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Reincarnation - NO 1/10

Fungal Growth with attack disability? Maybe, but obviously what you are trying to change here is to turn it into a stun spell, but for a disabling spell running for 5-8 seconds is obviously imba, rather have it in 2-4 seconds with a high energy consumption since this spell idea could easily be abused with perma stun lock. If it was to be turned into such a spell like this, maybe it would be appropriate to also bring back its bouncing effect just for balance sake. 7/10

Neural parasite - meh,.. its kinda like wasting energy to get banelings... 2/10

Overall I think that the infestor will never be fixed with this ideas, nice thoughts though and I kinda like the idea of the fungal growth rework turning it into a stun spell.

5. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    No sweat bro, I didn't see the obvious imba of these ideas at first, I just felt they seemed cool. So here's another idea for the infestor... add another spell similar to the queen's in sc1 that allowed it to infest command centers, only this time the infestors will also be able to infest weak factories and barracks' to produce infested terran. The infested terran would be relativily cheap to make and easily massable, have more damage, and same move speed to make them decent sentries.

6. Arterial

Arterial New Member

Hmm..infesting damaged barracks maybe.

I think letting frenzy be an area of effect ability would be vastly more powerful - and increase the energy cost to like 75 or something.

7. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    Well, I am sure in every structure there is at least some marine guards, speaking in terms of lore not gameplay. At any rate, with the ability to infest the other terran unit producing buildings the infested terran unit could be more accessible.

Agreed

8. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

I just think they gotta bring Dark Swarm or something similar to it back. The Terrans didn't really have any melee units in the original Starcraft but tanks were a good counter to Dark Swarm. Maybe give the Terrans a melee unit or make Dark Swarm more expensive to cast.

9. DoSrsCa88

DoSrsCa88 New Member

So long as they give them attacks that suits the Infestor. Like something to do with infestation or infesting something. The infested terrain idea was overpowered but made sense (INFESTOR chucks out INFESTED terrain). The fungal growth idea is a good one.

10. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I think they could Use an Anti-sentry spell, and something that can defend against mass thor/helion effectivly and efficently, cuz what do the Zerg have vs that? They have to go mass late game units witch you can't afford that by the time the Terran can get Thor/ hellion, I think something like a cloud that disables forcefields so simply only letting Zerg units slow down in the force (like it slows it down by 30 percent so if it's cast over creep then the speed is normal under the force field. This would also lessen damge or splash attacks and vs heavy, so ultras can more effectivly survive during a mass thor attack, and the hellions would have decreased damge the further out the flame goes meaning they have to get really close to get full damge. This would last probalbly like 2-4 seconds but that would allow for at least some Zerg units to get close to the protoss or Terran mech army. This would be something similar to darkswarm (kind of) and give something for the Zerg so that they can at least not be totally owned by colossi/ sentry mix, (even with the heavy units being able to destroy the forcefields what does the Zerg have that can do that (what unit is that way other then the ultralisk, or maybe an infester, witch you would undoughtably lose for probly not much.

11. TS.Trucifer

TS.Trucifer Guest

I think the Infestor is good the way he is.

I saw a post earlier about FG stopping attacks, I think that would definitely be OP, just mass FG and keep on FGing and pwning them with your units until they're dead and it's GG.

12. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

Welcome to the forums!

I think the infestor is fine except for 1 skill.
    Frenzy. I had way more uses for infested terrans than frenzy... I rarely ever used ultras.

13. TS.Trucifer

TS.Trucifer Guest

Yeah, I actually have barely utilized frenzy appropriately to say the least. I do think that FG is already a great ability and so is NP against higher tiered units :)

14. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Just wondering, is there a place to contact Blizzard or make a petition to actually make changes in the game? I would have thought that some people would have made their voices heard about getting Dark Swarm or something important back.

15. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    I don't want to see Dark Swarm return mainly because this is Starcraft 2, not Starcraft 1, and I would perfer to see new abilities, not returning old ones.

I would be rather upset if Blizzard was so uncreative to have to bring back Dark Swarm.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  16. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

You must be upset b/c Psi Storm returned then huh?

Well either way, dark swarm or not, Frenzy is a skill that I feel needs to be redone or replaced.

17. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    I knew someone would say something like that... no I wouldn't, protoss and terran are exception because they have a lot more new features than the zerg. Frenzy should be a splash ability at least

18. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I bet frenzy will will be simply a stand-in-spell while they find a new and more apropriate spell.

I think they are also moving infested terran cuz they want to see how people will react and maybe give people a reason to use frenzy cuz that would be there only use when low on energy.