Infested marines, where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 27, 2009.

Infested marines, where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ok I understand they where spawned from the barracks back when the infestor infected them but as of now the are spawned from eggs on the infestors back as a upgradeable (or maybe they come with it) ability.

My question is where do they come from and how do infestors get them?

A possible idea in the future would be a kind of zerg holding building attached to the building used to unlock infestors after the ability has been researched.

2. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Cool idea.
    I'm not sure what buildings they come from though.
    Last I knew they came from almost anything that was a building
    that could be infested.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Where do zergling's come from? Their species was infested and assimilated into the swarm. Terran could be semi-assimilated so can be spawned by infestors. The only problem is why they are using equipment...

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yes thats the problem.

5. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Well you could go way out there and say that the equipment came form supplies that the zerg have capture.

6. Sueco

Sueco New Member

They come armored because they were originally INFESTED Marines, not spawned marines.

The ability is now changed but the art is the same. Epic fail for blizzard. I guess they end up being good because they end up weeding this crap out in development.

MASSIVE failure if they dont

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The whole ability just sucks. Nothing logical about it, and not a single piece of lore can make it work.
    If I had to say anything about it: scrap this crap, and bring back the old infestation mechanic for buildings. If not, then axe the whole concept.

8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    +1 to the axe. As I've said a very long time ago it'd be extremely hard to make melee infestation worth the effort and not be overpowered. But even if they did pull that off, you'd have to be able to produce infested marauders and ghosts as well, and then there'd be too many units in the Zerg arsenal. Axe it.

9. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I just thought of a way it could work! Scrap the infested marines, leave out the invested protoss. Instead make it so that it can infest buildings as before. Just have a bunch of broodlings come charging out of the building for like 5 secs.

10. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Finally a thread about this question.

I don't know, and we don't know all of us where the eggs come from. From the infestor of course. But does one infestor carry humans ? And what's strange is the fact they are spawn from eggs. Human beings, inside eggs ?
    And they are armored. Normally they should be naked ! Naked infested marines. Spawned from nowhere.

I think Blizzard just tested a new ability for the infestor and will go back to the original irdea : infest barracks to get infested marines. The problem is that you need to reach and to infest a barrack to build them. With this new method of spawning eggs it is funier and you have a good strategy to build them. As the Zerg player in BR2 used them to encounter an attack from the Terran player. You can't do this in infesting a Terran Barrack

11. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    I can't agree more, Sogeking, however I see a problem in multiplayer. If you were in a competitive play, it would actually be hard and therefore, very rare that you get the opportunity to infest a Terran building.

Besides, how would infesting a barrack work?
    - need to damage it enough first, then infest it when it is close to destruction?
    - infest right away without need to damage?

On either of both alternatives, - again, in competitive play - you won't be able to use it for a long time because the Terran player will have plenty of time to destroy it. I mean, look at SC1, it's not worth it to infest a Terran CC. Ok I agree that there are more barracks than CC gameplay wise.

Unless a Barrack is built very far away from any Terran Core Base and left without protection - very unlikely I think -, it will become hardly worth it for Zergs to infest it.

AKAIK, the point in "spawning" infested terrans from infestors comes from the fact that its much more likely to be used in online games.

12. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Like I said before all Blizzard has to do is change it so that the infestor can infect any building, terran or protoss, and just spawn brodlings. No more questioning of the marines or of infected protoss.

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Thats a great idea but why not go straight to the source?

have the infester spew goo on a 3x3 matrix and infest any marines/zealots(/zerglings?)
    in the goo. then the unit(until destryed) still counts as control/supply/psi to the aponent.
    but it takes alot of energy.
    like it takes a minimum energy of 150 to work and if ir has any more energy it just uses it.
    making it cosly but it could still trun the tide if a battle.

does anyone think that this would work???
    (maybe it could have a timer that would only alow like one or two infestors
    to infest so every 30seconds(?) you could infest another 3x3 matrix)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  14. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I remember that one old argument was that the protoss can't become infested.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    lolz why not
    (i mean true they have all of that mind stuff but)
    you would think in the time that the zerg have evolved that they would devised some way of infesting them anyway.

16. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I think it was the khala that prevented them from getting infested. i know that there was a case of an infested protoss before, but he was infested by mutated creep. somewhere is the old thread. i'm just too lazy to look it up.

17. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Ok I've been saying this forever, but you would think that by know the zerg would have incorporated and evolved terran DNA so that larvae should be able to morph into mutated terran. Like weaker kerrigans or something. I half thought that would replace the defiler instead of the stupid infestor.

I mean, if you read the lore originally the zerg infested the terran because the terran DNA was going to be their "ultimate weapon." Instead they made just one ultimate weapon terran (kerrigan) and a ton of stupid cannon fodder.

18. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    lol the lore is a bit messed up, yes the reason the Overmind want the Terrans was so he could get some Ghosts, and he caught Kerrigan(thats the only Ghost he caught), so he could combat the Protoss on a more of a equal footing, and yet once she was assimilated he didnt use her at all to help in the invasion of Auir, anyway, after that Tassadar killed himself killing the Overmind, and then the events of Broodwar happen, Kerrigan tried to assimilate more Ghosts(which are the only Terrans with the added DNA that the Overmind, and later Kerrigan, wanted) but was unsuccessful, and normal Terran DNA are useless for the Zerg(which is why they were used a suicial bombers), so I dont really see why they need to add Infested Terrans as a in-game unit of some sort.

oops, went on a little ramble there.

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Lolz

Well if they have the terran DNA why don't u just infest a Terran building and that building acts as if it where a Zerg structure. So it allows you to make infested terrans like any other unit? And you can make them as long as you have the building. (maybe it can even hold IT upgrades att speed and such)

Does anyone think this could work?
    or maybe it could work like any other Terran structure and just spawn at a fairly fast rate. Like 15 seconds

20. ekulio

ekulio New Member

But if they have kerrigan's DNA then can't they use that? It's completely illogical. They could mix her DNA with other zerg strains and create all the clones they want.