Infantry with Grenades?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ItzaHexGor, Oct 17, 2007.

Infantry with Grenades?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ItzaHexGor, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    What do people think of the idea of giving each Terran infantry except maybe the Ghost, a grenade attack as well?
    I think it would work best if it worked like Reavers' Scarabs, except they would only be able to hold one or two at a time. They would also take a fair bit longer to make than the Scarabs, so that you can't just spam them. Also, maybe each unit type could have a different type of grenade? Marines would have fragmentation, Reapers already have D8 charges but maybe they could have a flash or smoke grenade that make the chance to hit units in that area much harder? It would suit their raiding style. Medics could have a grenade that gives a very short stun to a small area? I don't think Ghosts should have one because they're all cloaked and invisible, they won't throw around explosives, unless it's like a distract, similar to the Rogue's distract in World of Warcraft, the only problem is that shooting someone in the back or facing away from them doesn't have any effect in StarCraft. What do you think?

Bonus 200 minerals for a great post

2. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah very well done man and well said!! and the ghost could have a spilinter grenade which does little damage but very big blast radius! :p

3. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    Based on other topics, people don't like the idea of grenades for the Terrans.

4. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

You do not really want to give the Terrans too much splash damaging weapons, but good idea. I believe Medics, if they are able to do something offensive in starcraft 2, should retain their optical flare ability. It would work like a flash bang by blinding units in a short radius for a second or so.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It doesn't need to have a huge splash damage radius, like the Siege Tank or something, but maybe just enough to get a few clumped units.

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

idk, a granade seems like a simple destructive weapon, and to be honest there isnt any good logical reason behind not having marines shoot granades. Its just that it doesnt feel very terran like you know?

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I don't really like the idea of giving all terran units grenades. Doing that would make the marines too powerful in decent numbers. They were already annoying enough in SC when a couple of medics were with them. To give them a splash damage weapon just makes them too effective in early game. The reapers already have this ability and I think that is enough for the terrans.

8. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

lol how can they make grenades... i say give marines an one use grenade launcher ability that can't be refilled.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Just give marines a greande launcher and have the medic keep optical flare

10. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

Since the Reaper already has grenades, I don't think the Marines or Firebats really need some. They all already share stim pack, they don't need to all share another ability as well.

11. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Stim pack was useful, but I always kept forgetting to use it. One shared ability is enough and marines are effective enough without the use of splash damage attacks.

12. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I don't think this idea is great...sorry for offending you but the grenade already exist for the Reapers...

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Nah, I can understand what you're all saying. But I just want to clear a few things up about my idea.
    They wouldn't shoot the grenades, like a grenade launcher, they would throw them.
    That just means that it requires some balancing. The grenades don't have to be an extremely powerful attack, and they would take a while to build. Also, they don't just make the grenades for free, they would cost minerals, like the Reaver's Scarabs.
    Just like how Reavers and Carriers make Scarabs and Interceptors, except it's a bit easier. There are plenty of times in plenty of wars where soldiers have made makeshift grenades. A one use thing could work, but to me it seems like a waste of technology for all Marines to be equipped with one, and only one, grenade or grenade launcher.
    This was how I got the idea. Medics in StarCraft1 had Optical Flare, which was pretty much a flash grenade, now Reapers have these detonation charges, so why wouldn't the other infantry also have grenades. However the uses for each units different grenades would have to vary, of course, otherwise it would just be the same and crap. That's why I suggested that Marines could have Fragmentation Grenades (instant damage to a small area), Reapers could also have a Smoke Grenade (chance to hit reduced or damage is dampened) on top of their D8 Charges, Medics could have their Optical Flare (blind) or a Stun Grenade (short stun in a small area), the Ghost could have something else. Firebat could have a napalm type explosive, that burns the ground for a while after impact.

14. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I like how grenades work in Company of Heroes as that game is almost all micro and terrain advantage. They don't always kill every thing around them, but they sure do scatter the fuckers that are lucky enough to survive.

In SC, well I can't say its a bad idea...but it just seems like another way to do damage. Giving units too many ways to attack brings up overlaping issues.

Besides, doesn't SC parallel War40k too much already?
    Side Note: Funny how the spell checker here recognizes "War40k"

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Interesting fact... WarCraft1 was originally meant to be a game based on Warhammer Fantasy (go Lizardmen!) but Games Workshop pulled out at the last moment. The game was still released (obviously) but it had a new storyline and different names for then units. This is why there is such a resemblance between Warhammer Orcs and WarCraft Orcs. No doubt that the person who pulled out of that deal got fire a few days later, but then again, I don't think that WarCraft would have been as successful if it was still linked to Warhammer. I'm not saying that Warhammer is bad, I love to play it when I find the time, but I think WarCraft being its own separate game allowed it to create a much more creative storyline.

16. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I never got to play warhammer. I just don't have the money to buy all those units. But I've seen people play it before and it looks great, especially when people use terrain and obstacles they made. Strange I never noticed the connection between them.

17. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i haven't played either,but it looks like a great game.

as BloodHawk said, too many attacks = overlapping issues.it would be a total mess if every unit had two attack forms. having too many attacks is not something a Marine needs.maybe a Firebat with Napalm Missiles(because it would cover a weakness),but a Marine doesn't need grenades,we already have the Siege tank for as heavy damage dealers

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you can't seriously compare a marine with a reaver or a carrier when talking about production capabilities, marines carrying makeshift grenade making kits? that doesn't sound appealing at all, why would they try to assemble a grenade on the battlefield when they could simply carry ones made in a the factory... the point of giving them a one shot ability is mainly because balance, the marines are supposed to shoot with their guns, the grenade simply make them more fun to use without being op

19. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    lol, Marines making their own grenades in the field would be a fun animation.
    Chance to fail would make it even better.

20. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Also they wouldn't be able to attack since they are trying to make them, meaning you have a chance to kill them before getting royally screwed.