Independent Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Zeratul88, Jul 11, 2008.

Independent Interceptors?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Zeratul88, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

Hey how would you feel if they made a stationary building that could hold so many interceptors for base defence kind of like little hangars but with a Protoss style to them. Just imagine being attacked by a group of hydras and then a "swarm of bees" just opens up on them. Along with phase canons of course. Maybe so the memory of the wreaver lives on they could also build one that contains scarabs. Maybe you could even control the interceptors independantly.

Of course this would probably create an already "in my opinion" unbalanced game but of course blizzard will fix it up

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. ekulio

ekulio New Member

That would be pretty cool but I don't think the Protoss have a need for it right now.

Your subject title made me think you wanted to make interceptors directly controlled by the player or something. A bit misleading.

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Meh. Carriers are good enough for the Protoss.

Not to mention that the Zerg Queen currently can enable a building to attack by sending out swarms of things, so it'd overlap too much with that mechanic.

4. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    @ekulio, yeah I thought that's what he meant at first too. LOL that would be awful.

It would look cool I'm sure. But why would you use what's pretty much just a bunch of stationary carriers?

5. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

I'm all for Interceptor independance. Interceptor slavery has plagued our society for years, enough is enough.

6. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    damn psi hugger...

7. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

Here that blizzard theres an idea for you.

8. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED!

9. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    oh go chain yourself to pylon.

10. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I think a independent interceptor kinda defeats their purpose.

The whole point of the interceptor is small drones that unleash in great numbers to swarm and overwhelm the enemy.

They aren't meant to be a single attack craft that is more the purpose of the phoenix and other larger protoss ships.

@the stationary building idea, I think that interceptors are better for attacking and offensive tactics rather than defensive and the Protoss already have decent stationary defense. Protoss could also use any amount of mobility and adaptation they can get because that is one of their main weaknesses

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  11. Its a good idea independant controll of interceptors could fill the gaps of air battles, and would be good for harassing units, when you can't afford to build large air units. Just build a couple of these and harass an expansion base, or a thor, siege tank the possiblities are endless.

12. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    The effectiveness of lone interceptors would be minimal at best and probably not even worth harassing the enemy with or using in air battles. They would just get shot down like that and why waste your minerals on those when you can save up for a phoenix or other more effective craft than wasting it on a few interceptors that may or may not have any effect at all on the enemy.

It would be similar to buying individual broodlings that a Zerg queen has but without the initial death of the enemy unit which gets rid of the advantage or usefulness of it in the first place.

13. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the hangar idea would be cool for a editor only unit, build up rows of these defending a base but i really can't see it happening in multiplayer...

14. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Well im not really against the idea coz it kinda looks great, but only if carrier doesnt do the same hahahaha, but really, it was a good one, and has a potential to overpower probably 60% of starcraft2s unit roster considering their availability and cheapness... But all in all the protoss doesnt need anymore bothering with when it comes to cannons or defenses as generally they are the race thats basically all packed up and good to go.. so, id rather put my time on me race, coz im a raceist hhahahaha All hail the Zerg

15. Dustyvan

Dustyvan New Member

Starcraft II seems to me to be balanced just because each race is rigged

16. Zeratul88

Zeratul88 New Member

Well you have to make the races balanced, otherwise the game would be retarded. If the zerg were useless and the protoss were the most powerful I would get bored quite quickly with the game. Each race has different strengths and weaknesses that make each of the three races equal to one another.

17. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Balance is what made the original two Starcraft's great games.

Of course they're having it in Starcraft 2.

18. LordofAngels

LordofAngels New Member

Well, back to Interceptor conversations....

I think its a good idea about Interceptors.... in fact, I would want that mechanics done to Protoss buildings that has importance... like nexus..... in response to Terran's PF.

But I don't see that happening.... [insert sad face here] because Interceptors' purpose is beat when they cannot move. I think Blizzard already dealed with their share of making every building defensive structure with Zerg.... and I'm sure it didn't work out.... because they scrapped the idea.

And as for Independent Interceptors..... unless someone is WARLORD of Micros, you can't micro Interceptors enough to make any use of it. In that, I agree with PancakeChef there. Interceptor's individual movement and ability to attack gives their edge, and no amount of micro will replace that. So in station, Interceptors would be useless....at the same time, there isn't enough micro in the world to make each interceptors to mimic that of AI'ed interceptors.

I still like the whole "make every structure defensive" deal though.... so how about making nexus fire Scarabs instead? I like that idea much better..... since Revers were already scrapped.

19. DotGet

DotGet New Member

Personally, I don't like the idea. Defensive structures in the SC universe tend to be very uncomplicated and cheap. The photon cannons/turrets/colonies are all very straightforward structures that deal all of the damage themselves. Basically you're talking about a stationary carrier... which is pointless when you get the same effect with a carrier parked in your base.

Interceptors deal so little damage, there's no reason you should want to control them individually.

The idea just sounds silly, too. I can see the 'hive' defense working for the zerg, but not protoss.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  20. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    where did you hear this? Last I checked, yes she did lose the ability to make sunkerns and spores, but she still had the ability to turn any zerg building in an area of effect into a temporary weapon.

Also, she can still turn the creep into poison creep, dealing damage to any enemy units that traverse it.