Immortals Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheDarkTemplar, May 31, 2007.

Immortals Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheDarkTemplar, May 31, 2007.

1. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

I've been wondering ever since the gameplay vid, what kind of attacks activates the Immortals Shield? I mean, can it resist the likes of a Yamato Gun and even a Nuke?

Obviously it resists the Siege Tank in Siege mode, but what other units and attacks do you think the Immortal would be a good counter against?

2. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Somehow, I don't thing it'll be the actual damage the opposing unit does, but the type of damage inflicted. Tanks do concussive damage, I think, so the hardened shield would activate for all forms of concussive damage. And others probably too. We just don't know which units do what kind of damage, for the time being.

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Siege tanks deal explosive damage. The only units in all of SC1 that had concussive damage were firebats, vultures, and ghosts if I remember correctly.

From the way Blizzard described it, didn't seem like it's based on damage type but a damage threshold. Too early to tell what units will cause the shield to pop but I doubt it'll work for yamato. Yamato is considered a special ability after all, it's a spell.

4. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

It's a mystery, for now, but it would be weird for a non-upgraded Goliath to not affect the shield and a fully-upgraded one to activate it just because he hit the triggering threshold. I hope for different damage thresholds for different damage types. (sorry about concussive, though ;D)

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    If we were to speculate based on SC1, and if Blizz designed immortal shield to mainly go against siege tanks specifically, then the only other units that would likely trigger the shield with high enough damage per hit would be reavers and infested terrans(banelings in this case I guess) only.

To step down to accept the possibility of a lower threshold, the closest would be sunkens and DTs. However, those two only deal slightly more than half of a siege tank's damage per hit. Nothing else is close. Immortals could be very specialized units afterall, but we can never really tell til we see more units from SC2.

6. PsiGlaive

PsiGlaive New Member

I think it will work on some sort of total damage calculation and also type.

I am pretty confident the immortal will be okay against banelings, something has to be, since it pwns all the other protoss units.

7. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

If they'd be good vs Banelings, and Zealots vs Zerglings, you'd still lose all your Zealots because they'd be the first thing the Blings can reach. Unless you have great foresight, and micro-powers, the Blings will still get their intended job done.

8. jaywalker

jaywalker New Member

I was thinking that the shield could reacts to attacks in a way that the higher the damage, the less efficiency it is against the immortals. For example, square root the damage. So say some attack that would normally deal 100 HP now it deals 10 on immortals (ok fine so square root is too over, but you get the grip).

I think this way it'll also be very good defending against wrap rays attack ;)

9. CallDownTheThunder

CallDownTheThunder New Member

I think the Immortals must have have energy shields and low hp like the archon based on there ability

10. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Well even the Immortals has a hardened sheild, sadly to say in just a 2 small pistol of the Terran reaper, it can harmed the mighty Immortals.

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the upgrade description of the hardened shield goes along the lines of:

"reduced the maximum amount of damage done to the immortal by any single attack to 10"

so according to this, the hardened shield would be able to resist yamato gun or even nukes

12. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

maybe there'll be a dmge lvl like 50+/40+ atk dmge will only deal 10 to immortals thus prolonging them??

13. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

No anything over 10 damage is reduced to 10, I think abilities like yamato and nuke though shouldn't be applied.

14. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

oh right! thats y only puny weapons work... ^_^

15. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

Hi, I'm new here but I remember seeing that the shield starts at a certain level but you can upgrade it to not take more then 10 damage a hit. I would assume Blizzard would balance this with only ranged attacks and melee attacks so that nukes and such still kill it. Anyway the 10 damage limit means massed marines at full upgrade(9 damage) would run through it. And for certain things that would then exceed the damage limit after upgrade, well they would still be doing more damage per second in comparison to what they were doing. Its just the damage is always reduced.

Just always keep some marines or some zerglings around and you will beat the crap out of them. Oh yeah, the hit points for it are 240 with shield at 100. Or at least all these websites and the previews are saying that, it could change.

16. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Could you please take a little more time writing your post? I can't understand a single sentence of what you're saying. And punctuation would be nice.

On the shield part, it's already been discussed in another thread. The immortal is weak against weak units because while they (not the immortal) deliver low initial damage, they have a higher attack speed. Example: If a marine shoots 5 times (~30 dmg) in 5 seconds and a tank shoots once (~100 dmg) in 5 seconds with both doing 10 damage per shot at most to the immortal then it becomes clear that the marine has a better damage/second rate against the immortal. Now if you have 4 marines (which is still not the equivalent of a tank in resources) then you will probably cut through immortals like butter.

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

at the moment the immortal has much more hp than sc1 dragoons

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I'm sure the MM combo will still be very effective.

I noticed the hardened shield eventually stopped working and a few of the immortals were killed by the siege tanks once the hardened shields were gone. What do you think is the hardened shield damaged the same way as the regular being depleted after taking a certain amount of damage or if it is depleted after a number of hits.

Your thoughts?

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think things like yamato and nuke are likely to be treated as "spells" and punch through the hardened shield regardless.

And as for hardened shield depletion, my guess is that it is there as long as the immortal has "Protoss shield." When the shield protion of an immortal's HP is depleted, so is the hardened shield, is what I'm saying. I could be completely wrong, it's just a guess.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hmm I think Ill will drop this in Karunes question box.

I agree though the nuke should vape a immortal shield or not. Not so sure about the yamato though.