Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ApostleOfGod

ApostleOfGod New Member

"Protoss Immortals' shields are very effective against Siege Tanks" http://www.starcraft2.com/features/protoss/index.xml?tab=phoenix

In SC1, Dragoons (known as Immortals in SC2) were highly vulnerable to siege tank's siege mode attacks, usually dying within 3 hits. However, now that the Immortal is more resistant to the siege tanks than before, will the battles between Immortals vs. Siege tanks become imbalanced?

Imo, I would agree to more resistance to a certain limit, but I think that Dragoons are great units, especially when in a force, and they require high micro skills to work efficiently. By nerfing the Siege tank's effectiveness towards Dragoons, I think Immortals may be the easy key to game domination (vs. Terrans). Any thoughts, comments, disagreements, or doubts?

2. Lord David

Lord David New Member

Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001
    I'm sure the Immortal only uses it's special shield ability whilst the Siege Tank is in Siege mode. So any good player would just un-siege the tanks and attack using normal tank damage. (that would hopefully not have the Immortals use their special shields) :good:

3. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Marines own Immortals, and every sane player sends marines with siege tanks, happened in sc1, will do the same now in sc2.

4. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

In a stupidly over-simplified sense, Siege tanks would be weak against Immortals, however with unit mix, you would find that marines, reapers attacks would penetrate the high powered shields, rendering the immortals weak to the most basic infantry units, cost wise.

5. wuffle

wuffle Member

In the gameplay video the man says they are activated by powerful attack. The reason reapers owned them is they didn't ACTIVATE their shields. Therefore, if any heavy fire hits the dragoons, its basically immune to all incoming fire. Doesn't matter if it's marines or Battle Cruisers. Thats why mixes wouldn't wrk against them. ie: Marines and Tanks.

6. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Interesting point, if the shields are in fact activated and will repel attacks until destroyed, then this may motivate players to more carefully micro their siege units, meaning if the Immortals attack they take the tanks out of siege mode. However I am not certain that the activation mode means anything other than protection from the high powered attacks.

7. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

they're not like goons. they're rapid-fire and don't shoot while running and not exactly long range either (exemplified in the presentation anyhow) so now goon-micro seems forever lost :(
    they still own reapers imo and could take advantage of reaper's short range, but probably not marines.
    but imo if the siege tanks were buffed up, the chances for goon+lots overpowering rines+tanks looks even grimmer zealots are "meant" to be weak and immortals cant meatshield tank's firepower if marines are on the front lines.
    but atm the tanks seem horrendously weak in health and damage, and for now I would just mass zealots and charge-bomb them.

EDIT: come to think of it ya immortals are rigged =/
    zealots + tank splash = byebye marines! then poor ol tanks gonna have to get close and personal with the remaining immortals :(
    But I'd still go mass zealots ;)

8. liMePod

liMePod Guest

I think by the phrase "only activated by a very powerful attack" means explosive damage. and cause seige tanks are explosive in and out of seige mode, they'd be pretty helpless on their own.

But, as commented previeously, any sane player sends marines with seige tanks. and the demo is just that: a demo, so they only demonstrate one unit at a time, showing strengths and weaknesses,

eg. collossus is awsome againts 'lings, but muta kill it in seconds. (I belive thats because it can only attack ground), warp rays beat battlecruises and buildings, pwned by marines.

9. JBL

JBL New Member

Don't worry... even if immortal totally own siege tanks.. thats exactly what blizzard want.. they want a rock paper scissor game

the 20 minutes video is all about this

10. AntiTossWeapon

AntiTossWeapon New Member

You can not think of the immortal imbalanced because the terran at the moment has 4 units presented.I am shure that blizzard will show many methods for the terran 2 deal with them  :).And in the video the siges manage to distroy 2 immortals,so there not so immortal :D

11. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Hmm I thought that their pin prick attacks go through the shield regardless whether the immortals were under heavy fire or not. It will be interesting to see if you are correct.

12. Ych

Ych New Member

The Protoss will of course sound very imbalanced ATM because of all the new toys that they acquired in SC2.
    Simply put, if we pit the Protoss from SC2 against the Terran and Zerg from SC1, Protoss would simply annihilate them.

But we have to remember this is SC2. Since we already learned most if not all the Protoss new toys and mechanics, of course they are going to sound overpowered atm. Once we learn more about the Terran and Zerg, I'm sure it will even out the odds.

13. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

but immortals can be EASILY countered by any other unit. we saw in the video. the reapers smoked them

14. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

No thats not good enough, in order to balance the game Blizz must remove the Immortals ability to walk and fire. Also they should remove its shields so it instantly dies in one hit. This will help balance out the unfairness that is the Immortals invincible shields. We all know this would create a perfect balance between the Protoss, Zerg, and Terran in Starcraft2. :powerup:

15. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

not a chance man. siege tanks have been the dominators for a while. there are new units that make up for the uber shields. if reapers aren't good enough for you, then wraiths, marines, ghosts, vultures, goliaths, etc.

16. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Trust me, Protoss isn't the only race that is getting tons of new units. Terran will be overhauled as well. Its really very inappropriate to speculate about race balance, seeing as that we have no idea what the other two races will be like.

17. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

that exactly what i said. i said terran will get tons of new units that will make up for the Immortals sexy shield

18. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Ghosts will have emping machine guns. ;)

19. Oiyzas

Oiyzas New Member

You're a funny guy, Joker.

And, when he said they were only activated by heavy fire, he meant they only worked against heavy fire. Check the profile on starcraft2.com for Immortals- it clearly says that their shields only stop heavier artillery, allowing small arms fire to come through unimpeded.

20. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    So I'm bumping up this really old thread to post this quote by Karune

So it doesn't seem the immortal will be imba and I can see why. The thread convinced me that having it as a anti-siege is good enough for the unit. I'll just make the stalker the actual replacement for the dragoon and I'll feel better lol.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=9699&p=1&#post9699