If the Ultralisk sticks around....

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Fenix, Nov 6, 2007.

If the Ultralisk sticks around....

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Fenix, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

So, this idea came to me as I was eating some ice-cream just now.

We all agree that some sort of trample idea would be cool with the Ultralisk, right? But Karune shot that down lately, saying that it doesn't require skill, just there. Well, this is what I came up with (Name and cost subject to change)

*Bull Rush - Ultralisk rushes to a certain point, straight line, short range. Goes over smaller infantry (Ghosts, Marines, Zealots, Zergling) and deals trample damage to them (Debatable amount, I wanna say 20-30). If a building or larger unit (Siege Tank, Immortal, another enemy Ultralisk), it stops and deals very short range AoE damage in front of it (Like it's swinging it's tusks wide will all that momentum).
    It would have either a high energy cost, or a low amount of total energy (Or both). Like....150/200.

Well? Whaddya think?

EDIT: I forgot to add that it would faster then normal while using this skill....Maybe a given, but I just felt I should point that it.

(PS: First real post in G-d knows how long)

2. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    He he cool idea, i think the Ultralisk should have a trample a damage which can count as a spread damage

I LOL'ed at that part of your post ;D

3. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

lol... ice cream huh?

Yeah but you made it a good one. :thumbup:

Any way to your idea about the bull rush, I like the idea. Every one's complaint about the ultralisk in the first game was it was just a meat tank or a damage sponge. Giving the ultralisk an ability like this would make the ultralisk more usable and just more fun to use becuase it adds a little bit of skill to using it. (not alot all be it but still a little) If the ultralisk does stick around I think that it would benefit greatly from a ability like this or something that involves swinging its tusks. (just watch that starcraft ghost video) Personaly I don't think it will return but if it were to and it had this ability than I would greatly welcome the change.

4. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

lol bullrush... one time my friend bullrushed off a cliff..good times there...

Anyways, on topic, how short of a range are we talking about here? I could see this being overpowered if a group of marines spread out and form a line while firing at a stationary target, like teh building of a base, and you flank them with an ultra. Two Ultralisks and they are all dead ( if the rush does 30 and tehy have the shield upgrade)

However, i do like the AOE splash against large targets. That actually gives me an idea. Perhaps Ultra could get an ability were they attack with both tusks at one, doing splash damage and flinging units out of the way, sorta like a knock back. This would be the perfect way to break through a barricade and let your swarmy units surround them.

In conclusion, good idea, but i think the splash fits more than trample. Although, both are possible due to its size..... it is a rather large beasty unit...

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    "Explosions will not be able to push units because it would affect gameplay and balance negatively, in having units be knocked off cliffs, be stuck in unplanned locations, or ultimately have units disoriented where the player cannot control them."

from a Q&A, so it can't fling things around. :D
    Except for that, this entire idea is good.

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Well, that's actually the entire point. It would make it more useful in micro....The Terran play would have to stagger his units, the Zerg player would have to line it up right. Karune shot down the trample due to it not having any skill to use. This skill would be useful to both beginner, intermediate, and advanced players due to the level of micro it would take to use it effectively.

7. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

@ Gasmaskguy- Yeah, forgot he said no flinging. Although, i cant think of a better way to bust through a blockade than moving the units out of the way.

@ Fenix- Yeah, its an amazing ability that requires skill and i would not mind having at all. Its jsut the fact that 2 Ultras can take out how many Marines in like 2 seconds, or before your opponent could react. It's great, I'm just not sure if its balanced.

What about a Ultralisk baneling...that would be a big boom!

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Actually, the main thing I was thinking for it would be rushing Terran turtle points....You know, Bunkers and STs. Get within ST min range, and give Ultra's a reason to use their high attack

9. carlsjr11

carlsjr11 New Member

i think that is an amazing idea

i think something to add to that would be an upgrade to where when u use this """bull rush""" mabey that unit gets stunned for a short period of time this upgraded version of course taking more energy but being very affective

o and shadowtempler i c what your saying about it being unfair against a group of marines but he said the AOE effect would only be on larger medium/large units such as seige tanks ect....

[me=Praetor Fenix]combined some posts and tells you to use the Edit function in the future.[/me]

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Hrm....Sounds good, but stuff like stuns are definitely more of a WarCraft thing. I would love to see a stun (Heh heh....), but I don't think a lot of people would be happy with it. It might also be too imba....Trample a medic or two, there goes a whole team.

11. carlsjr11

carlsjr11 New Member

well mabey trample or bull rush woulnt work on smaller units only large/meduim then it would be fair i would think

12. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Erm....You got that switched around dude. It only works on the small ones, not the big.

13. carlsjr11

carlsjr11 New Member

o well yes, but just saying it would be better on big units

14. kingsky123

kingsky123 New Member

actually im thinking, if the ultralisk is around , and if he is to be useful he should have some sort of damage nullification ability , like in warcraft the footman's defend ability or something

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Like he's blocking with his tusks? Possible.

Or, if aura's in ingame, he could give a damage bonus to surrounding units. Kind of a 'thrill of the hunt, leader of the pack' type of thing.

16. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I feel like this idea has already been mentioned a lot.
    Personally though I'm all for it, I think the charge ability fits the Ultralisk better than the Zealot.

17. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    I like this idea it gives the zerg more abilities which we should all agree that they need more of

there all dead with two lurkers anyway

18. ekulio

ekulio New Member

It's true. Only zerg casters have special abilities except for burrow. The rest just move and attack. Blah.

19. hydralisk

hydralisk New Member

batavia new york
    i love this idea alot because when i used ultra all they did was get in the way had i had to wait for them to die or break a whole in a barrier. now with this ability it could flind things out of the way and destroy blockades more quickly so my z lings can get in there and my hydras provide the long range cover p.s i wonder how it would work for ultras to burrow

20. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I think units should have a small stun, something like 4 second, enough for them to get up. I for one would find it very stupid, if the ultra would just pass through them, so they should be knocked out.