Idea: Give the thor the ion canon (gta)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jul 2, 2009.

Idea: Give the thor the ion canon (gta)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Jul 2, 2009.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

Change the back canons into an improvised ion canon.

lorewise, its perfect, the dominion made the ultimate ground unit and they implemented on it an improvised ion canon that they had before to destroy any enemy capital ship and mass air units.

Ok, terran have this weapon in starcraft this is not different and not alien at all. Its not protoss if its shoots an orange beam and it still is uniquely terran just like the bc always has been. Also its really bland to look at terran attacks being all explosions and missiles without a visible projectile.

Missile turret fires missiles, the bc have missile barrage now, marauder fires missiles/grenades, siege tannk attack is similar to the thor's back canon attack its clearly overlapping and annoying. Im not sure about what the thor fires with its two arm guns, but it looks it has small explosion and smoke effects after it fires to similar with most of the terran ground unit except for the hellion.

The terran already has to much shell/missile base weapon. Only the bc has energy weapons. Why does it has to be only the bc? If there should be another terran that will use it, its easily the thor.

The flak canons is just so mediocre for this unit. Its an uver giant advance mech and you give it some flak bombardment canons? Thor weapon is mediocre with projectile fire power. what the thor needs is something else, like an electrical or charging attack to make it much more impressive and fitting for its look. Most mech used energy base weapons specially the big and advance ones like the thor.

And i realized that the ion canon from sc1 is perfect for this unit since the both of their main role is GTA. The thor missile barrage is similar to the bc missile barrage as well as the missile turret.

The thor should have something special as a weapon to make it iconic it needs to have a visible projecting attack just like the bc.

The back flak canons as GTA is just mediocre and dumb looking. Well honestly even for ground assault, the siege tanks canons looks more powerful and fitting.

We have never seen the ion canon firing in sc1. And it will be awesome to see it on the thor.

I don't understand why blizzard love the back "flak" canons of the thor. Just like the buggy it looks so randomly common, bland, and unimpressive.

My suggestion, give the thor 2 customizable weapon set just like the bc. First remove the GTG flak canons (its not impressive looking anyway) replace it with a ground fast firing missile attack. Now the 2nd customizable weapon is would be the ion canon for GTA. Or vice versa, ION canons is GTG while missile is GTA which makes sense also.

Im sure custom map thors would make blizzard regret with what they did with their own mediocre version of the thor. Now im helping you guys change it now, it will not delay beta at all.

anyway here's a sample of what the ion canon on the thor would look like.

http://larcenciel-11.deviantart.com/art/new-thor-the-perfect-role-84984812

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Picture link doesnt work. This idea..........uh. The thor was originally planed to be a giant tank, with no siege ability. They turned it into this. There is no need for an ion cannon. It also doesnt make sense, the races are all sort out based on attack animations movement etc. The terran are humans in space, with *explosive, ballistic bullets. with big booms* The protoss are shiny lazers with shiny **** that is shiny that owns **** stuff like STARWARS, your zealots will glow like YOODAAAAA. Sorry, off topic. Anyway, you get my point? A big lazer ion cannon wouldnt make sense.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

^ it does its sci-fi and i think your one of the people who exaggerates with protoss= lasers and terran = guns.

wraiths have lasers, terran got the ion canon in sc1, bc hae lasers and its make sense its a huge sci-fi advanced mech and it deserve something better than shells. If not then its just a mediocre lower class mech.

ALso this ain't warhmmaher 40k where huge mech with huge canon guns and fires huge shells is badass.

by the way link already works.

4. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

the thor is fine as it is... the terran right now are a VERY powerful race. ALOT stronger then they were in SC1. they need no improvements because they are top notch right now. so why try to make a overpowered race even more overpowered? leave it the way it is...

5. me555

me555 New Member

He just means changing the visual cue... right?
    The ion canon would have to be orange, cause blue would clash too much with the protoss "theme".

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  6. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Flak cannons have long been gone, it now has missile pods, which i prefer.
    [​IMG]

7. needler

needler New Member

I still don't like the Thor. It looks silly. Imo it needs a new look. It's just too bulky to walk. And if it could walk, it definately can't walk up or down a hill. If a big thing (Ultralisk) shoved it, it would fall and not get up. And if it's legs are harmed it falls. Maybe wider legs would help.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think both the missile barrage and artillery barrage are included now.But the artillery bombardment only hits single target now and stuns the enemy as well. I have no problem with the missile barrage weapon but just the artillery canon.

I just thought the ion canon is awesome and cooler.

9. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Your not that far off the terran design, zeratul11. Look at the bc, it can be fitted with a shield, anti air missile barrage, and a cannon. The cannon might is well be something like a Ion Cannon. If complain about the idea of fitting the Thor with an Ion Cannon, you might as well complain about the bc. Anyways the Ion Cannon would fit best with as ability. It would only be powerful enough to destroy 1 unit/building. Why not make the Thor like the bc. The Ion Cannon would be a upgrade. It isn't far off. Anyways the Thor is just a giant anti air weapon. It doesn't serve much propose. It costs a ton just to bring it out. When you could just build a bunch of vikings instead and get the same job done, but better.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

[eq]
    [/eq]

i know but just for the sake of coolness and awesomeness without connecting to actual gameplay and mechanics. the ION canon or similar weapon for the thor is better than flak canons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  11. asdf

asdf New Member

alright! macross missile massacre!
    [​IMG]

12. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I think the thor would look better if it's missile bays were on it's back. It would look much better if it's missiles were launched from it's back. I can see it firing missiles from there. It's shoulders make it look terrible. Hopefully the thor can fire missiles while using it's flak cannons. Now that I think of the thor having an ion cannon, the more I think it's a bad idea. I don't think the thor has the power to fire let alone charge an ion cannon. An ion cannon is more protoss seeing how they can actually power the thing. Maybe blizzard should give thor the ability to fire heat seeker missiles as an ability. The missiles would be like the Seeker Missile on the Raven. But instead of just flying after 1 target. The heat seeker would fly towards the closest heat signature. It would kill any marines, zerglings, zealots, or any units like that. But it wouldn't do much damage to tanks and units like that. But this would overlap with the Raven.

13. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Hm... as my 5 cents to this discussion i will stray a bit in the past. Can anyone remember a game called "Total Anihilation" ? There was an expansion to it (dunno the name) Its a big diggression i know :p but here comes the cheese...

There was a Huge robot like thing called "Krogoth" it was slow, pounderous when smashed exploded like a nuke, and it could fire all of its weapons when it moved. Rockets streamed from its back to intercept flyers Macross style (he didnt have to turn to fire them, something entered range SHOOOM rockets go and fly) some small lasers on hands (which went DAKA DAKA) i think two bigger guns (BLAM BLAM) and a plazma Anihilator (which was positioned in head and charged for quite a lot of time...and it did KABOOM when it actualy hit something, more anti-building weapon i suppose slowtracking and stuff) I woild like to see thor like this, slow but a true Terror engine. That stomps and fills all XENO hearts with fear whith each thunderous step.... ^^

14. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    so whats the counter if nothing can touch it?

15. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Everything can be balanced, and i dont say make it uberduper (well i kinda did ;P) just give it more weapons so it can make more dakka dakka, i love terrans just for that :D

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    basickly ur saying give it splash damge to everything that even come near it when its attacking.

plus that would make it a more of a mass air destroyer because thats what it seems to be as of right now and a really crapy ground helper. it would mostlikly be used as a wepon you would bring along with tanks as a push. (kinda like Galiath, (sry spelled that wrong))

17. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Well, Battlecruiser got AtA,AtG, and special weapons. Why not make Thor a Land-Battleship , simply add two marine guns and let him dakka dakkka more (turrets or such ) The way he is now makes for quite poor terror weapon...

18. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Yea, there was an idea around hear that the Thor should get a bunker like idea so u could put a couple marines and marauders in to help damge. Witch I think wouldn't be that bad, it would just make it an attacking blaockade that can let units in. But that's what the supply depots are for. (kinda, basickly supply I'm font bing repaired bunkers in back killing.)

19. marcmad

marcmad New Member

20. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Why Not Give the Terratron the Ion Cannon?? I believe he is by far a better subject for this matter, since a thor could possibly be insufficient to carry that enormous structure, and even if they manage to make it a micro ion cannon in a Thor's size,.. the damage output will not be the same so.... yeah the Terrathron definitely is the winner on this one.