Idea for changing the mechanic of the Thor(Shiva)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 15, 2007.

Idea for changing the mechanic of the Thor(Shiva)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 15, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Make it have 500hp. 8 Supply, 300/300 min/gas,

4 guns, either plasma guns, or gattling guns.Each can target a different enemy. Can attack air, each gun does 13 damage, marine attack rate(non stimpacked). Can only attack when grounded or sieged if you will.

Also, because of its new design its name is changed to Shiva ( 4 armed god/godess of death)

Normal range should be 6, that of a dragoon. You can initially have it 5 with upgrade.

The siege time takes about twice as long as a siege tank.

Special ability options:
    1. Fortify dig itself in the ground, taking 2 of the 4 guns out of commision(from being underground) but gaining additional HP and armor either for a set ammount of time or just another siege mode it has, in this mode you can take away the air attack and reduce attack range.
    2. Overload - have a stimpack effect, increasing its attack rate at the cost of something, HP, or maybe after the stim packed effect you can only use no guns or 1,2 guns for X time.
    3. Smoke bomb - shoots a bomb with X area of effect, or maybe a line-ish spread, units behind the smoke bomb cannot shoot past it, they must come infront of the smoke bomb to see their targets to attack.
    4. Covering Fire - this is similar to the Overload ability, after its use there will be some detrimental effects, such as not operating, or operating at some reduced rate. What this does is either A) Reduces the movement speed of units, or B) Reduces their attack speed. This ability upon activation, will shoot infront of Shiva, hitting both enemy and friendly units causing that effect.

Note: Only one of these abilities will be on the actual unit, they are just ideas what it could be.

This would make it a good unit vs small and medium sized units in melee range and non siege ranged targets.

You can play around with the 4 guns for balance.

Options:
    1. Only 2 can fire at air targets at any time, but the other 2 can still fire at the ground.
    2. Only 3 guns can fire at any one target.
    3. Only 3 guns can fire forward, the 4th one has to attack sideways or backwards.
    And so on, for balance.

Bonus 200 minerals for a great post

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Very interesting idea with good and proper name. IDK about having it take 2x longer than siege tank to transform but other than that its very good :good:

Perhaps it could have slightly longer range, because it does have to go stationary. Also you could have it where you load up marines/firebats/medics/scvs in it and they can fire the gatling guns (Mobile Bunker anyone?) However, I think it needs 2 gatling guns and 2 of something else.. because 4 just seems LOL. Perhaps it can have 2 Tank Cannons and 2 missle launchers. (tank cannons vs ground, missles against air) This would make it not good against a single type of unit because 1/2 of its attack power is wasted. It would be very good against mix of units though.

3. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

You portrayed some interesting ideas there but I think it has a bit too many abilities.

4. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

dont like it, sounds like 4 dragoons mashed together with abilities that don't sound all that good4 of them are almost the same as current abilities (stim, swarm, ensnare) and the trench digging one sounds like a bad idea. it's not even changing the thor, it's just a new unit.

5. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

The digging idea is to make it more of a meat shield.

The mashing of 4 dragoons is somewhat correct, i wanted a unit thats big and wont die as fast, so it can still act as a meat shield but put on some serious hurt.

As for range, the smoke bomb is a good idea, the siege time can be reduced, and its a stationary powerhouse with no minimum range, thats the idea. Its supposed to attack small to medium units.

I dont think swarm is anywhere in the ones i listed. Stim yeah maybe, but thats the idea, to have a short burst of power since its a stationary unit. Ensnare it has slowing effects but it doesnt have the same release form, nor does it have the good combo of Covering fire + siege tanks.

I would prefer 4 gattling guns.

When i think of missles i think of killing big units, which the shiva is not built for.

Same goes for the Tank cannons, besides we already have a tank.

We can make them into something else, but the main idea is that this is a small,medium unit killer.

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I have to agree with hillz i dont like the idea for acouple of reasons.

First the name shiva just feels like a really bad idea. I would wager there is a reason why blizzard hasnt named any unit (in any of there games i am aware of) after a religous figure of a religion that is widely believed in around the world.

Second the idea seems like a radical change from the current thor theme.

My suggestion would be to remove the 250mm cannons give the thor 2 gattling guns on its shoulders for anti air and and anti infantry. Give the thor a little more armor and hp and make it take some extra damage when attacked froma certain direction (i would suggest behind but blizzard could be creative with this). Finally i would suggest giving the thor the ability to overcharge its primary weapons making them do a small increase in damage, an increase in aoe, and a sizeable increase in damage againt buildings. This ability would also make the thors primary weapons temporarily burn out making them tmeporarily useless and making the thor completely dependent on the gattling guns for damage..

(for those curious the gattling guns on the shoulders would aquire there own targets unless specified to attack something that only they can hit at the time)

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Thor is a viking god, idk how well loved by Scandinavian people but w/e, the name can be something else.

As for the new role of the Thor, yeah, thats the whole idea, we already have the cobra(anti armor) and the siege tank(anti armor, anti building) and since blizzard is ackwoledging the fact that it overlaps with a lot of other units this is a new role the unit will take.

Terran need a small,medium unit killer from the groud. The new thor is exaclty that + it offers some cool other aspects besides killing a building which the siege tank, reaper does.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Yeah, we are aware of that, the new thor can also attack air.

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I know that but wiht the current design of the Thor it doesnt make sense for its primary weapon to attack air so i am indirectly suggesting removing its ability to attack air with its primary weapon.

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Idk if you noticed but at the end of the first post i suggested that it may have only 2 of its 4 gattling guns to be able to target air units for balance. Along with other balancing possibilities about rearranging how the 4 guns will shoot.

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I noticed but after reading you post instead of trying to seriously modify your suggestion i just decided to make one of my own.

12. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

cool, cant wait to see what other ideas are out there.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

i imagine something similar, only with 4 gattling guns, drool...

14. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Look's NOTHING to the thor maybe it only has leg's and it has weapon's and I can't see that being a terran unit :( but a little good info :)

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

well, it has to have an animation change with its mecanics changed so much, it can still be big, and bulky, but the 2 lazer guns have to go, and the 4 250mm guns have to go, and it needs to have its guns go 360, to shoot, i mean im not saying how it should look i just think that one looks good ;P

16. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

Give the Thor a wicked self-destruct ability, dealing something like half the damage of a nuclear strike.

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

this design feels like a giant goliath, it's not bad but i'd rather gave it a different weapon than gattling guns, the terrans has too many of them already

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Care to make any suggestion for a gun that kills small and medium sized units at range?

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it could fire plasma shock bombs that's effective against small and medium units

20. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

get rid of spike, smokebomb, and covering fire and rename overusage to Overload and i say you have a perfect replacement