I need more than 256 Switches...

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by Mesden, Dec 1, 2009.

I need more than 256 Switches...

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by Mesden, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Mesden

Mesden Guest

I'm creating a Map where each Round in each Level requires a Switch. There are 8 Rounds per Level and a total of 8 Levels. Since there are 8 Players, I need to figure out what to do with the Triggers. If I just keep using switches I'm gonna run out... Any ideas?

This is how it works, the Player has a Civilian, he takes the Civilian to a Beacon, and the first Round begins. He takes his Civilian to the beacon a second time when he's ready to begin the next Round, then the next round begins, and each Round gets a little harder until he/she completes the Level. Each time he takes the Civilian to the Beacon, I need to use a Switch, as I'm using the same Unit to start the Round, but as each Round progresses, there are more Units that Spawn.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Using Trigger Examples would also help me greatly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Use the same switch for each time the player begins the next round. Section off a part of your map where each player controls 8 copies of the current level they are on. When the player completes a round, kill one of those 8 sectioned off copies. For the second round of that level, test for the existence of at most 7 of that unit owned by that player at the sectioned off location. When the player completes a level, spawn 8 of the next level unit, and restart the cycle. I can give example triggers tomorrow if this is too confusing.

3. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    This isn't my area of expertise but couldn't you use something like gas or points as a round counter?

4. Firebat-Guy

Firebat-Guy Guest

Games like this have been done in the past, so I doubt you need to use that many switches. However, if you want, you could dedicate 8 different switches to each player, and treat them as if they represented binary bits. If you did this, then these 8 switches would account for 2^8, or 256 combinations, which is more than enough for your needs.

An example of how you would use these (0s represent inactive switches and 1s represent set switches): The first case would be 00000000. Next would be 00000001 ( the first switch is turned on). Next would be 00000010. And so forth and so on. Might be a lot of work, but also might not be, since starcraft lets you duplicate triggers.

5. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    My way lets you see how many rounds you have left in the current level, and/or what unit you're about to be trying to kill. I'm not sure if that's something you want in your game, but it's there.