I need help in choosing video card...

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by alton, Jan 11, 2010.

I need help in choosing video card...

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by alton, Jan 11, 2010.

1. alton

alton Guest

Hi to All,
    I need help in choosing video card for my laptop. I am going to buy a laptop at the
    end of this month and my main purpose of buying laptop is to play Games. So I
    want to buy high configuration video card so I can play games with more interest.
    So please suggest me which configuration and brand should I consider.

2. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

There is no such thing as a good GPU for a laptop.

3. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

A laptop ? actually I don't see laptops for videogames. Just take one with 2 GO (3 is better) RAM already.
    It will cost about €500. Or more, it depends on the laptop.

4. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I would say that it isn't overall the GPU for a laptop that helps it become efficient for games, but the overall processing power and space. My laptop has a nice graphics card, but without a sufficient processor it cannot cope with many games. I would focus on a GPU that is not high ranged, but mid ranged and in exchange for graphic power get a faster processor. That will really determine what you can run.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

This.

And Shadowy is kinda wrong.

For games, the GPU is gonna be how pretty it looks. The CPU is going to dictate how fast it crunches numbers (ie: that grenade bounce, that wind blowing in leaves).

Any dual core 2.2+ is going to be sufficient for most games. And I mean most.

As far as GPU goes, that's really what raises the cost of the laptop. I would shy away from Intel GPUs since they suck pretty much. That leaves us with ATI and Nvidia. Both muy beuno, but there's a few games that simply do not run on ATI.

For a laptop you don't need anything quite omgawesome unless you're planning on using it primarily for gaming, in which case something like this or this would be good.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
  7. asdf

asdf New Member

how compact do you need this laptop to be? you say it's mainly to play games, but are you still going to be carrying it around every day, or just leaving it on your desk and moving it somewhere else once a week or something? if it's the former, you can probably find a few 13.3" laptops with decent graphics, but for the latter, you can go for 17" monsters.

also, budget?

this one's a good balance, and pretty kick-*** graphics:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...odexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY15_series

i'd recommend something with radeon 4xxx or geforce 2xx mobile graphics or higher. even the low-end of the latest generation of cards can handle most games on medium settings.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
  9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @asdf,

Are you really suggesting he spend $600 more on a laptop that has a quad core? Bye bye battery life.

10. asdf

asdf New Member

some people DO buy laptops so they can plug them in wherever they go. it's not about being able to work while not plugged in somewhere, it's more about being able to easily move them to some other power outlet.

i mean, in university, nearly all the classrooms have outlets near the desks, and so do the libraries. battery life isn't much of a problem, if gaming is the bigger concern.

11. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Could someone help me out in this matter?

I'm split between a GTX275 and an HD5850. I've consulted this and it seems to be in ATI's favour but since I don't know much in this field I don't know how much the memory bandwidth bus type (256v448) matters. Pricewise they're practically the same in the shop where I plan to get it, but ATI offers dx11 support. Should I go for that then? Or if you have any other suggestions or comments I'd be glad to read them.

/thread hijack

edit: a major concern is game support... I've read that sometimes ATI can't run a few things... and then there's nVidia's "the way it's meant to be played" logo... so yeah

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. asdf

asdf New Member

5850. memory bandwidth hardly matters at all, it's only noticeable in benchmark programs. DX11 support will matter when more games come out.

edit: what you hear about "game support" is pure FUD. who the hell told you that? don't ask for computer advice from them ever again. all games are written according to certain APIs, DirectX or OpenGL. both ATI and nVidia engineer cards to support DirectX and OpenGL.

ATI technically runs MORE games than nvidia does due to DX11 support- nvidia only goes up to DX10 (unless you're considering the GTX4xx series). and yes, they run games with nvidia's twimtbp logo. it just means nvidia threw a bunch of money at the game company to splash their logo there and have their cards recommended for the game.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  13. Tekneek

Tekneek Guest

kuvasz: I've got a NVIDIA 250GT 1GB and a intel E8400 @ 3.0 GHz, nothing overclokced or anything, and I can play SC2 without any FPS drop with everything ultra :D

To be more precise, I'm running it in 1680x1080 res, and I have about 3 gigs of RAM

Oh, and yay! My first post!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  14. phANT1m

phANT1m New Member

If you want a gaming latop that will support all this look at the Dell XPS or check out Asus's G51. Both are mean *** stuff and will run almost all your stuff including SC2.

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

My old laptop had an ATI card in it. Can't remember the specs, wasn't the best, but it was decent enough to run HL2 on Medium.

I ran into 3-4 games I purchased on Steam that literally threw up the error "ATI cards are not supported for this program" or some such tripe.

Stubbs the Zombie was one that I remember (Mostly cause I still play it). Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much brand-agnositic when it comes to that kinda stuff, but there it is.

@ Phantom - XPS is hardcore, I've got a desktop and it was pretty slick even stock. Not sure about Asus though, I've seen a few issues with their power supplies (AC, not internal), and a few borked mobos.