i HATE dark templars

Discussion in 'Terran' started by KidAmnesiac, Aug 26, 2010.

i HATE dark templars

Discussion in 'Terran' started by KidAmnesiac, Aug 26, 2010.

1. KidAmnesiac

KidAmnesiac Guest

they are so annoying. as terran, how do you deal with them? obviously i know what detects them(turrets, scan, raven) but i still get caught by them. do you always build turrets early against protoss? i try to scan for the dark templar building but sometimes they hide it and soon my workers are getting owned by invisible units. is it just me or can you get DTs much faster than a terran can get cloaked banshees?
    the best 'counter' is ravens because DTs cant hit air but they usually have DTs before i even put a starport down.
    i think banshees are pretty annoying but i have to say DTs are the ultimate cheese unit
    (btw, i am a bronze player so feel free to educate me)

2. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Get your scanner sweep earlier. Dark templars are VERY VERY weak, and once you can detect them, most units will toast 'em. Go your normal build, and just make sure you have upgraded your command center early.

3. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    You can scout more effectively by checking the front of his base with your units. If his force is much smaller than yours (or the same size but you have an expo) then he is teching to something and it's time to mass marines (in case of void rays) and put a turret around your choke points (in case of dark templar)

4. Amberlamps

Amberlamps New Member

To be honest with you, dark templars are a tier 3 infantry unit, and so are banshees. By the time you can get a banshee into someone's base, you can get a DT.

To be honest, they aren't that bad. They hit hard but are super weak. Upgrade your command center and continue with your normal build, perhaps with a few missile turrets or sensor towers to help out.

Seriously though, great unit but far from overpowered or anything.

5. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    Ghost emp will reveal their cloak and knock their hp down to 40. Fairly easy counter and the emp is good against any toss.

6. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    Well im a zerg player and when i scout early against protoss with my zerglings and i see photon cannons then i know that they HAVE to be doing something like voidrays or DT's so then i set up my expansion and start getting hydralisks and an overseer and i guess thats it ^^

7. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You should always be making Overseers anyway. So much scouting and harass capabilities in them. :/

8. KidAmnesiac

KidAmnesiac Guest

sometimes they are smart and send only one in, you use your scan and then they send 3 more. once you run out of scans you're screwed until u get another scan or pop out a raven. i lost more than a few games to DT's, but thats probably cause im a noob.
    either way im not a big fan of a permanently invisible, high dps ground unit, at least ghosts and banshees cloak runs out.
    speaking of ghosts, i've never built a ghost academy in a league game. i should probably work on that.

9. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    Invisibility makes me sad too, because it's something that requires a hard counter, ie, a detector. I didn't like invisibility in SC1 either. I hated science vessels, but they we're too important to ignore. I felt that the game was forcing me to play in a particular way, that wasn't my style.

Another hard counter I suppose is to air units: you can either attack air or you can't. But there are so many units capable of attacking air, that you do have fair amount of choice with how to deal with it.

But I mostly like visible ground units, and I like to see good positioning, good reaction, and good micro with them. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  10. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    Invest 225 minerals, build an engineering bay and a turret near your ramp.

Ta-da! You just DT-proofed your base!

11. Cold

Cold New Member

Make sure to wall off your base with 2 supply depots and a barracks (or some other formation of a wall, depending on the map). If the supply depots are raised, even a cloaked DT will not be able to get in. They'll probably start attacking your supply depot, and then you can scan them, EMP them, or simply repair the depot until you build a raven or missle turret :)

12. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Don't forget them being warp gated in.

The pylon doesn't even have to be in your base, it can be made on the lower ground and the pylon energy will still reach into your base.

Or being shuttle dropped.

Ive won a few games where opponents have not seen the pylon or shuttle and I warped in 2-5 dt's, split them apart and ran around with them.. Killing stuff.

13. sirchiken

sirchiken New Member

ive actually only had trouble with dt's once in a long time, this guy went the protoss uber turtle thing with tons of cannons/huge wall off "no prob" i though ill just expo/tech to brood lord's as is normal protocol and then BAM like 30 dt's, i had detection and muta's but the dt's killed like all my buildings before i could kill the dt's and i lost i was PISSED.

14. Robin Johnsson

Robin Johnsson New Member

Sweden
    We all hate Dark Templars, no worry they will probably be nerfed in the future.

15. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    "We all hate Dark Templars, no worry they will probably be nerfed in the future."

Probably not, it is a low health unit that goes invisible, and it is stuck on land, high damage is their only perk.

The ONLY thing that I would consider doing is applying a siege-tank-ish nerf. Make DT do less damage to buildings (they eat SD, Pylon and zerg tech extremely fast for skinny guys armed with scythes.) while keeping the same damage to units.

The new damage to building timing would probably be something like this: The time it takes for a single DT to break down a Supply depot is slightly shorter than the time it takes to build a missile turret. That way DTs can go into the base, do some damage but if the terran player reacted quickly then it will be taken out. If the terran is slower, the DT does more damage. Of course, more DTs kill the SD faster but that also meant that the terran had more time to prepare/scout.

All in all, that way the DT can wreck a completely unprepared terran (like all invisible units should), beat up on one that is slow to react, do significantly less damage to one that is quick to react and no damage to one that is completely prepared.

16. sc2 awsom

sc2 awsom New Member

im a bg noob but i know every single option thing strategy and blah blah etc. unless your opponennt statrs usin warp prism like he said a bunker nad a missle turret your good if you get stuck with warp prisms then first make a turret on yor mineral line then a couple of turrets on the rim of your base tah dah and it works for me all the time th only way that a dt could get in would be a distraction like 3 warp prismsone with dts and two with out and they wont be able to get your mineral field any way so yah great :)

17. solar00

solar00 New Member

I'd rather encounter Templars(dark) than those annoying Zealots Just one scan and the templars are toast.
    Zealots however are quite hard to kill if there is a huge amount of them (but nukes work perfectly)

And the amounts of Zealots are usually much larger than DT´s

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  18. Takaim

Takaim Member

Wait.. Ghost's emp uncloaks DTs? O_O

19. deimos

deimos New Member

I agree with you, I HATE dt's to but I am a zerg player and their detection is far weaker than terrans (and protoss').

20. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

@ Takaim

Yep. I believe Emp uncloaks anything for a short amount of time.