I am going to miss dark swarm...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cryov, Oct 20, 2009.

I am going to miss dark swarm...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cryov, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Cryov

Cryov Guest

As an avid zerg player I was dissapointed to learn the Defiler was being removed in Starcraft 2.
    This unit has won me several matches due to its' dark swarm ability and using plague...
    Anyone know if they will have anything similiar to the Dark Swam ability in SC 2?

2. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    they did (was called razer swarm and you could move it around and it delt damge)

but they took it out.

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Don't be! According to the recent battle report, they intend for the Infestor to be used differently compared to the defiler. It's more like a mass debuff/harasser unit right now. I think that Infestor is a good unit once they find the right ingredients for its abilities. Like you, most of the zerg players are doubting the Infestor's potential, mainly due to it's lack luster threat compared to the defiler, wherein it is a must for other players to get rid of that caster before they get plagued.

Right now, Zerg is on a different pattern of play style, old school strategies seemed to have vanished now, and the sad thing is we haven't seen a BR of zerg triumph. This just means that they are still working more on the factions balances. Regardless of how good an SC1 zerg player you are, one will probably have difficulties coping as SC2 Zerg here and it all goes down to how the devs will finish their fixes with zerg.

I'm looking forward to how the final product of Zerg will turn out. And I hope it's more than good.

4. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I wonder what their trying to do to the Zerg?

Are they now the lie and wait type mass trap type race? Or is it the harras and att in the confusion?.

And I think if you can get the infester fast enough you could come into the enemys base and spawn like 20 marines in their Eco lines, that will test you're opponents reactiontime for sure and since it's at no cost to you and it only cost energy you could hide them in there base and spawn a lot.

And hmm, the nural parasite is going to be something to use against the Terran and toss taking control of their huge units, maybe even a mother ship and stuff, talk about awesome!

5. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Dark Swarm is the best defense against mass carriers. What will Zerg players do now?

6. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

First of all this is SC2 and lots of changes have occurred that makes most old school rules useless now. For this matter, the Zergs anti-air units has been strengthened especially the hydralisks which now does bonus damage against air-units. Another bonus is the Corruptors which are very accessible being able to acquire once Lair is teched up (last time I checked). These changes forces a zerg player to switch tactics and strategies to use. The Infestor even makes things worst, imagine your 6 carriers gets neural parasite and be controlled by zerg for 5-10 seconds, wouldn't that do enough damage to enemy? Think about it, its not so bad for these changes at all imo.

7. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    LOL, good point, and curropters will kill carrier @ss any day.

And do hydras still have the air att bonus? I though that they now did 8 base with like +4 to heavy or something.

8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Its damage against air bonus. I was hoping that they change the bonus to a plus against armored but any bonus is better than nothing at all right? I'm also assuming it will do bonus damage against colossi since it's considered as an air for its height.

9. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    wait so all gta units have a bonus to air?

10. Mattbaumann777

no dark swarm = epic phail

11. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    If they had it, it could be very overpowered especially against terran cuz they have no melée units.

And they would have to nerf it if they used it so that it would only cover like 10 lings so that it wouldn't be over powered.

12. Mattbaumann777

They should have it so it only defends against fire from air units.

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    That wouldn't be too bad. They could but since their seems to be less air activity (at least in the br's) then it would be a pointless skill.

14. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    Darkswarm was kickass back in the day... Won me a lot of matches.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    it has won many pro players their games too, but blizz has made this a lot different game so it doesn't need to be in the game.

16. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    I am still going to miss it though :((

17. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

They've basically changed the Zerg as a race, instead of just adding onto them like they did with Terran and Protoss. Except, instead of making them interestingly new, they made them into a pile of garbage.

I've been a pure Zerg player since the beginning, and when I look at the new Terran and Protoss mechanics, I think all dozens of new strategies that could be used to utilize them. When I look at Zerg, it's more like "Alright, I can't do that, I can't do this, I can't do that, this unit is trash, why did they do this, why was that removed, etc."

18. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    ^ I agree

the Zerg have just been scrapped but not deleted, unused and need attention.

They have good idea concepts but were very badly carried out. Like the roach, great concept - terrible unit, why not give it more hp better attack more speed and make it a little less massable? Like 3 control.

They have also seem to not need spells alot, and the spells are just their to help slightly weaken their army or allow you to build more units. Maybe if they added a resource mech and added some helpful spells the Zerg wouldn't be so bad. The ideas of super healing units and moving while burrowed is awesome but blizz has seaced to amaze me with the Zerg at this point, the Zerg race is a race of good concepts but of poor desgins and such.

I would like to see more cool units that are more streemlined fast and really cool looking and covered inspikes, why counldnt they copy the old Zerg units, take out more passive and less used units from sc1 and add acouple new concepts that are added to newer cooler units.

19. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

What they need is more useful units...

20. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

not rly. the only melee units terran had in sc1 were firebats. and helllions replace firebats in sc2 and i think hellions are considered close range melee units just like firebats were. so it would be the same situation.

also the terrans still have alot of splash dmg to counter dark swarm just like they did in sc1. the d8 charges or w/e there called from the reapers/the siege tanks/the thor/and more units that im sure im missing