hydralisk attack

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by foochen, Feb 28, 2010.

hydralisk attack

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by foochen, Feb 28, 2010.

1. foochen

foochen Guest

Why does hydra launch bullets instead of the classic green acid? It's so stupid and not cool anymore!!! Can you change it back to the old style Bliizzard?

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    They launched "spines" back in sc1 too, it just looks different now. If you think about it, all that goo in sc1 made less sense, since they were no part of the projectile and the spines are launched by the hydralisk purely using muscle movement (or whatever you'd call it).

I do think the current spines are a little too discrete though, as well as the associated sound effect. But I don't think there has to be any green acid. The roach and baneling use acid-based attacks.

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Agreed on the "discrete sound effects", though since as you said muscle contraction is the direct cause of sending the projectiles, even the current sound is too loud and doesn't make sense - though the animation is perfect. This is a bit like the case of the marine gauss rifle, which IIRC should have no sound at all if it strictly followed lore and the rules of physics.

The above things are instances of where I agree with the gameplay > lore formula. Completely silent units are boring :)

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    yea, this is a lot more interesting then silent units though the acid did look cool.

but if you like acid spam roaches and banes, then you'll be having some real fun with all of the awesome explotions and green everywhere.

what if they changed the acid to what ever color you are? like if you're the red zerg you would have red acid.
    that would make it quite interesting.

5. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    pink acid doesnt look that good lol.

6. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    if you got pink then you would be gay T_T

Edit: I hope they don't have rainbow color! then you would be truly gay xD

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. Pwnographer

Pwnographer New Member

Man. I thought I was the only one who didn't like the current attack animation and spines. I couldn't agree with you more foochen.

8. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
  9. Pwnographer

Pwnographer New Member

It's not a matter of realism. I'm just talking about the animation and how it looks. In a lot of gameplay video's i've seen lately, you can hardly see the spines projected from the hydralisks, and it sounds like someone shooting a spit ball. In starcraft 1, it was visually pleasing, and sounded more like a sharp object being flung out of 4,000 gigantic (and probably pretty wet) muscles. The "acid," I guess we've come to call it, is probably a result of the spines moving throughout the hydralisks innards. And whoever said it was acid? It could have just been fluids from the inside of the hydra.

10. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Oh easy answer:

Because the Roach has that attack.

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It wasn't acid, it was like saliva...Or ichor...Just gunk that chilled in the same orifice.

EDIT: Link says they're slightly poisonous, maybe it's venom?

12. kuvasz

Hungary
    You praise the SC1 animation but there were no projectiles there so I don't see how the obscurity of the projectiles in SC2 would bother you. As for the sounds, I diasagree. SC1 hydras sounded like children splashing in water, digitally lowered in pitch.

I think the graphics in SC1 times didn't make it possible for Blizzard to make the hydra look and work as they wanted it to. In SC2 we'll see how Blizzard originally intended to have the units thanks to the limitless graphics and audio of today, I reckon.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

They'll definitely have an easy time with it...If anything is too different or doesn't quite make sense, they'll just peg it up to 'evolution.'

Can't wait to see them in the cinematics.

14. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    i think it`s much more realistic for the hydralisk to use spikes for attack

15. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    The Starcraft 1 animation of the hydralisk attack was realistically accurate. The Starcraft 2 one is complete balony however. A spine projectile that is able to penetrate neo-steel should be launched so fast it wouldn't be visible by the naked eye.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. Pwnographer

Pwnographer New Member

Yes but you could still see something at least. not just some grey dot the size of like, 3 pixels flash on your screen for a split second.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I kind of like the new attack animation instead of the original.

also the original damge was explosive damage and now its just damage so maybe thats why they have a difference in attack animaitons.

but green slime for an explosive attack doesn't make to much sence either so I don't know.

18. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    The explosive damage was probably just for game balancing reasons gardian defender.

Me personally I think the SC2 hydra attack animation looks like crap, and the fact that it's presented in an unrealistic fashion makes it even worse.

19. kuvasz

Hungary
    Be more specific.

By the way, nothing beats the roach attack in crapiness. Or model, for that matter.

20. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    I already explained, a spine traveling slow enough to be seen by the naked eye isn't very imposing. In the starcraft 1 hydra animation, the green slime is like a trail left behind in the wake of the spine because it is propelled at such an astonishing speed.