How to remove ads in Firefox

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Lobsterlegs, Mar 17, 2010.

How to remove ads in Firefox

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Lobsterlegs, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Hey folks,

Thought I'd share some useful information about blocking ads.

Here's what you need: Mozilla Firefox (Since I'm using it myself. All you haters go use chrome!)

Here's what you do:

1) Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/sv-SE/firefox/addon/1865
    2) Install the Addon and restart Firefox.
    3) Visit any page that has ads. To remove them, simply right-click on them and depending on the type (flash, jpeg). Pick the "Adblock" and add a filter! Sometimes a "block" square will show in the corner of the ad. You can click on that as well.

4) Enjoy!

[​IMG]

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I should rename this "How to Deprive SC2Forums.org of Any and All Income"

Seriously, it's a static ad, and the forum gets money off of views. Live with it.

EDIT: Blocking the Vote button as well? Wtflip mate.

3. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Hey, it was just an example. No offense.
    Would you rather have me make an example of another Starcraft 2 fansite?
    Perhaps that's better?

Seriosuly: Yes. Live with it: No, wai?

I'm serious about not having that ad there. It pushes down the Tag Cloud (and is also irritating).

REEDIT: Yes, the button too. Just to demonstrate. I could've taken your ava as well.

EDIT: The user chooses what ads he/she wants to remove. Removing an ad will just block it. It won't necesarrly mean that the company behind the ad knows about this and won't recieve cash.

If the site needs money, Jon shouldn't give a way stuff for free.

[​IMG]

Oh snap! No more females.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Actually, no, we do not receive money off of blocked ads. Zilch, nada. There are multiple articles about how the rise of AdBlock has cost both websites and advertisers money.

If you want to block them, obviously there's no way I can stop you. However, I'd just like our users to ask themselves whether one ad is intolerable. That's all.

5. asdf

asdf New Member

if you actually like a site, put it in your adblock exceptions.

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Oh, so suddenly the site needs money? Like you know, we've had ten thousands of members since beta! Webhosting costs hundreds of dollars a month now!
    Well, then stop giving away Beta keys and what not and sell them instead if you really need money to run the site. Or just shut this place down. I wouldn't care. And that's why I'm blocking ads. Because I don't care. Most ads are intolerable and annoying and steal precious page-loading time while filling the screen and causing epilepsy. The site has run just fine the last years. I'm curious to know if someone is getting greedy.

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    The site's been running fine because the admins have had to pay out of pocket many times. If i remember correctly, when we changed formats to VB, it cost the original admin, sc2forums, ~900 dollars for new programs and no money from adverts since during switch for a few weeks there were no adverts on page.

As for page loading, whats the point? "Omg. my page took 3 seconds to load instead of 2 since I don't have adblock!"

Also, we actually havent had that many members join since beta, im sure they all joined Blizzard's official sites. We only have 3662 members currently(not ten thousands), of which 93% of those have posted less than 100 times, 78% have posted less than 10 times, and 57% have only posted only once or never at all.*

*I checked member list by post, so those numbers are pretty accurate

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    That's against the rules, but you don't look like someone who would respect them. And what is this "suddenly"? The shop wasn't free, nor the accessories and server changes and all that.

Now stop this nerdrage and GTFO if you don't care about anything. We wouldn't care about you not coming back, so it's a win-win.

9. asdf

asdf New Member

lol @ lobsterlegs. doesn't know how the internet (or lawyers) work. hurry up and leave already.