How to Optimize Starcraft 2 Performance

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by VampireBob, May 21, 2010.

How to Optimize Starcraft 2 Performance

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by VampireBob, May 21, 2010.

1. VampireBob

VampireBob New Member

Sometimes when I'm playing online playing Starcraft 2 my computer just starts to try a little too hard. It sometimes is choppy, although it performs well overall.

I was wondering if I could do something with the graphic options under the menu to make it run smoother? Specifically I was wondering what options I could lower and cause the least amount of visual change.

They are all at the suggested levels, although I believe those are specific to my computer. Lighting is low, as are physics and movies. Reflections are off. Models are on high. The rest are on medium.

Also, what should i put the framerate at? I don't notice the difference most of the time. Is the 40 fps or the default better?

I also like the death models quite a bit, do these take a lot out of gameplay? I'd imagine they would make my computer huff and puff during battles, which is very bad, but I figured I might as well ask.

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The rule of thumb for all video games is that you need at least 29 FPS to play without visual "stutter." But the best way to optimize is to upgrade your system. :D

And unit deaths do take up a lot of processing power as your computer is rendering the extra change. Disabling would help the load.

3. the8thark

the8thark New Member

That's a really good idea. I think what you need to do JonX is to make a post and sticky it explaining exactl what settings to have on medium and what to have on low for the low end computers. Basically a guide to getting the best look you can out of SC2 while trying to mantain the 29fps you say you need. As in telling us all which graphoics settings to use in SC2.

I know I can only get 20 fps. (never tried the Windows client though). But I'd find such a guide useful. As would a lot of people I think.

4. VampireBob

VampireBob New Member

The thing is it's not just about framerate. There's also the detail on the models which I'd like to get as high as possible without lag.

5. the8thark

the8thark New Member

You are aware drop in FPS is from graphics settings, and lag = slow/dodgy internet settings/speeds? Are you sure you have not mixed the 2 up? And yes a really low framerate can feel choppy and lagyy-like but it's not real lag.